Discuss Getting my head round all the bits for junior bows! at the Recurve Bow within Archery Interchange Forums; I'm still casually looking for an upgrade to my daughter's (just turned 9) bow. It ...
    In the Blue
    Thanks

Getting my head round all the bits for junior bows!

I'm still casually looking for an upgrade to my daughter's (just turned 9) bow.

It all just seems so much more difficult and less standard when looking for junior kit!

She currently has:

SF optimo Wooden Riser - 19.5"
    SF optimo+ limbs - 54" - 14lbs

She has a draw length of 19.25" and a poundage of approx. 11lbs on the fingers.

She has been gradually introduced to extra weight in the form of a long rod and a decent sight.

I'm thinking of the Hoyt Excel 21" Riser but I'm struggling to work out the poundage of the limbs that she will need.

Am I correct in saying that on a lot of junior kit the stated poundage on the bow is given @26" draw rather than @28"??

I think she could do with increasing the poundage now - she has shot this one for nearly a year now.

To give an example of where I am struggling - you can get SF Elite Fiber foam limbs in a short size. An example of the specs for them is:

25H 66-20 lbs
    23H 64-22 lbs

Would the above be measured at a 28" draw?
    Would the above equate to 21H 62-24 lbs? (for the hoyt 21" riser?)

If my above assumption is correct would that approx. equate to a much lower poundage on the fingers? Could anyone hazard a guess as to what this would be?!

The lowest poundage limbs I can find are the SF Axiom+ which go down to 14lbs at 66", which I take it would be 18lbs at 62". Again I don't know if these are measured at 26" or 28" draw length!? If 28" then I would expect them to be too low poundage wise at 19.25" draw.

Seems to be far too much guess work involved!

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

In the White
    Thanks
    Generally, all ILF limbs (Short, Medium or Long) will be rated at a 28" draw (although manufacturer standards for riser geometry, limb bolt position and definition of a 28" draw may vary), to provide a comparable(ish) standard to work to.

The limbs you mention would be rated as 62-24# on a 21" riser; I couldn't say what they will be in terms of OTF at a 19.5 draw, but assuming a linear draw force curve that gains 2# per inch (a huge over-simplification), then you would expect an OTF weight of around 8-10# dependent on limb bolts (I rounded the draw up to 20 for ease of sums).

In reality, your best bet would be to go to a shop and try out several weights and see which one suits best, but look at starting at around the 20/22 - 22/24# short limbs arena.

In the Blue
    Thanks
    I'm sure I read somewhere that some of the shorter limbs are measured at 26". Either way with the current limbs she is only 3lbs under the rated poundage at her draw length.

In the White
    Thanks
    Junior bows (such as the 54" bow she is currently using) are measured at 26 (AFAIK), however, a set of short (66 on a 25" riser) limbs constitute an adult size, so will have been measured at 28", most likely on a 28" riser.

The disparity between stated weight on a 54" bow (where the stated weight is measured at 26", probably on a 58/60" bow, not sure) and a 62" bow (weight based on a 28" draw on short limbs/standard riser) will therefore be different; your daughter is much closer to the "standard" draw length on the 54" than the 62", so will be closer to the rated value.

That said, the change crosses the boundary between measuring standards, so the above is mostly guesswork
    Last edited by Pirate_Dan; 18-04-17 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Added bits

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies, it does seem to be a lot of guess work doesn't it!

Might just have to try it, just gets expensive to keep guessing!

As you say a shop would be a good start but they are a fair way away and I was trying to buy 2nd hand to keep the cost down!

In the White
    Thanks

Please visit our sponsors and help keep AIUK online!

I get that - it can be expensive at the best of times, without factoring in the regular equipment changes needed for a growing child!

My gut feel is that for a 62" bow, some 22lb limbs should generate roughly the same OTF draw weight as your daughters current set-up, so if you look for something in the 20-24lbs bracket you should probably be OK going second hand.

If you did decide to go down the shop route but didn't fancy the journey, I think that most shops would be able to put a package together to meet a specific poundage at a specific draw length and post it to you, just give them a call and ask for a 21" riser with whatever limbs give an OTF draw weight of 11# @ 19.5 inches.