Getting through that Clicker !!

silver streak

OK we`ve all been there, good arrows come through the clicker in 3 or four seconds and we finish the shot with a nice follow through, and then for the next ten! but the next arrow is twice as long and suddenly the clicker won`t go off> What did I do different? So we all have coping mechanisms, ways of standing up straight, not leanning into the string etc.. What`s yours!!!

Max

For me personally, the main culprit for extending arrow syndrome is letting my head drop forward slightly - it was so slight it took ages for me to figure it out, then (of course) I overcorrected it, came through too early and planted it off to one side. The other culprit is that old chestnut - letting the bow shoulder come up through fatigue, or not pushing forward enough (also fatigue). My arms regulary shorten in length by up to two inches during a shoot - impossible, but it happens all the same!

cecile

A very common source of this problem is the bow shoulder that moves up and the body collapses.

PaulT

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
I find the reason I struggle is when I spend to long on the shot and the movement stops.
I then just come down, simulate the drawing arm part of the shot stand up straight and next time do it properly!
The bow shoulder moving up can be a problem with some people, depending on how you set your bow arm at the start of the shot and is usually indicative of being over-bowed.:archer:

Bald Eagle

Try setting your bow arm and shoulder with a slight bend at the elbow, this will automatically drop your shoulder. If your draw elbow is on the high side at reference,just lower it slightly and see what happens to the arrow, it will pull straight through the clicker. O.K. it's not an ideal way but it's a good way to get through when fatigue sets in but you still have to stand up straight. Ideally, the arrow should move slowly back at reference until the clicker goes "click" but I live in the real world and need all the help I can get!!

KevinH

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I find thinking about relaxing my chest and neck often helps me get through a stuborn clicker. I also find that once I've decided to abandon the shot I can usually pull through the clicker with ease.

Tarkwin

Prince Of Dorkness
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I've recently found that having my arrows cut 1.25" longer than I requested has made it extremely difficult to pull through the clicker...

I did it once..but found that by that time I was looking down the ear of the person next to me..

T.

tel

Fonz Awardee
It's exactly this kind of discussion that is keeping me away from clickers...!

PaulT

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
KevinH said:
I also find that once I've decided to abandon the shot I can usually pull through the clicker with ease.
Sounds familiar! This also supports the idea that difficulty coming through is mainly mental. Ed Eliason suggests drawing right throught the clicker with no intention to shoot as a method of 'getting over it', this proves to yourself that your arms ARE long enough and has the added bonus of stretching the relevant muscles.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Does no-one here set up on the clicker? That kind of removes the guess work from it...

joetapley

Does no-one here set up on the clicker? That kind of removes the guess work from it...
Yes - though it took me months to get the hang of it :)
Big increase in control to any alternative approach.

Usual problem - archers are not taught to use the clicker properly from day one. Most GNAS coaches don't know proper use of clicker (fair comment I think Rik?). Big headache later for archers unlearning bad technique.

R

rgsphoto

Rik said:
Can you explain what you mean by this? Clickers always did my head in?

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
rgsphoto said:
Can you explain what you mean by this? Clickers always did my head in?
Quick explanation:
You set up your line at the start of the draw in the normal way. Shift attention to the clicker, draw until you can see that it's ready to go. Shift focus back to the target (you should still be pointing at the middle, otherwise you've done something wrong...), complete the draw. With increasing levels of control it's reckoned that you can cut down the "last little bit" to sub 1mm.

Advantages: you can see when you've done it wrong (no hanging around at full draw), you can use the visual feedback to help do it right...
Disadvantages: you need to learn control, but then you need to do that anyway :D

It's been said that using this sort of technique, you can start people out on a clicker, almost immediately - cut out the "oh you've got to wait a year or so for your draw length to stabilise" rubbish.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a quick fix. Just probably a better technique than "pull and hope it goes click". Especially for intermediate level archers. The top level ones probably have such a consistent draw length, they could do without a clicker and get reasonable results!

R

rgsphoto

Rik said:
Quick explanation:
You set up your line at the start of the draw in the normal way. Shift attention to the clicker, draw until you can see that it's ready to go. Shift focus back to the target (you should still be pointing at the middle, otherwise you've done something wrong...), complete the draw. With increasing levels of control it's reckoned that you can cut down the "last little bit" to sub 1mm.

Advantages: you can see when you've done it wrong (no hanging around at full draw), you can use the visual feedback to help do it right...
Disadvantages: you need to learn control, but then you need to do that anyway :D

It's been said that using this sort of technique, you can start people out on a clicker, almost immediately - cut out the "oh you've got to wait a year or so for your draw length to stabilise" rubbish.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a quick fix. Just probably a better technique than "pull and hope it goes click". Especially for intermediate level archers. The top level ones probably have such a consistent draw length, they could do without a clicker and get reasonable results!
Sounds like good practice Rik. I have yet to meet anyone who has the first clue on how to setup a clicker. So far your way looks the best and most logical ( I like logic) . I too agree we should start with clickers from day one.

Cheers

Rich

PaulT

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Rik said:
Yep, it does vastly increase confidence in the shot and I find that I very rarely struggle to 'get through' except when over aiming and freezing on the shot.
I'd forgotten about that until you brought it up!!

silver streak

Rik said:
Havnt tried that for years, forgot about it but will incorperate into my next practice session and feed back. cheers have some:cake:

Hood-Robin

This may seem a complete stupid use for a clicker:burp: , but I use a very small rest and I use my clicker to keep the arrow on the rest. My draw length is 31.5 " @ 44lbs. My adult son started shooting 4 months ago he uses the same set up as me he was having lots of problems with his clicker and draw length. Before last weekends Portsmouth at Sherwood Archers nr Notts he got so fed up that he removed his clicker and shoot a 549 I think he came 4th. Interesting point is that in my opinion he knows what a clicker feels like. I am so used to shooting with a clicker it would give me problems with removing it anyway my arrows would fall off. From my limited experiance there is a lot of difference shooting a fita 18 or portsmouth indoors and then shooting outdoors. My grouping at 90m got better when using a clicker. 3 or 4 mm on draw length can make a big differance at 90m. We will have to wait and see !!!!!!!! NOT LONG TO REGULAR OUTDOORS:shocked: :shocked:

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
doing that also stops you automatically releasing once you hear the click. you want to be efficient but not autonomous