Greenhorn Sirius Barebow?

Job

Does anyone have an opinion of this riser? One just cleaned up at the Australian Nationals. It's been suggested that it would be better for me than my Nilo? Any comments?

M

Mark R

I shot one lasy year as both barebow and recurve, It's probably the most over engineered thing in archery.
They are quite heavy with out any weights and are very stiff giving quite a "dead" feeling.
The adjustments are easy and the tiller bolts have no locking screws to shake loose.
They are all over the field champs for barebow, but rarely seen in target.
If you can get a second hand one they hold there value (about ?300) so you could sell it on.
They are rare but do crop up from time to time, I'd still have mine but I'm a tart and change gear every 5 mins.

JohnK

They are favoured by many barebow archers, but so are Nilos, and Spiggy 650s. I'd also point out that the bow didn't clean up - the archer shooting it did. :) Clearly the riser works well for them, but it may not work for you.

However, as Mark says if you can find one you can probably sell it on easily if you find it doesn't suit you.

TomvanHalen

Saw a guy from one of the better squads shooting that thing at BUTC, it's even bigger in real life. Looked and sounded really solid. He seemed to be visibly struggling with the weight by the end of the knockout rounds with all the stabs and the like on it though.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I've got one, and use it for my clout bow. I have used it for my recurve target bow but it has specific problems which may be less of an issue to barebowers. The grip is about 1/2" nearer the archer than the button, which for me made it a bit twitchy. So I have removed the wooden grip and filed down the metal, and put a Jaeger grip off a Nilo which makes a bit of a difference but after several hundred arrows it gives me a sore hand, hence using it for clout.
However it is extremely well made, rock solid dead straight and not as heavy as some risers!

Job

I shot one lasy year as both barebow and recurve, It's probably the most over engineered thing in archery.
They are quite heavy with out any weights and are very stiff giving quite a "dead" feeling.
The adjustments are easy and the tiller bolts have no locking screws to shake loose.
They are all over the field champs for barebow, but rarely seen in target.
If you can get a second hand one they hold there value (about ?300) so you could sell it on.
They are rare but do crop up from time to time, I'd still have mine but I'm a tart and change gear every 5 mins.
Do they balance vertically in the hand for barebow? My Nilo won't even with their weight set. Thanks

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Not on it's own, but it has a tapped hole just beneath the grip for adding weights for barebow.

M

Mark R

The bar across the front does make it window side heavy but as mentioned theres a threaded hole just below the grip that accepts standard weights which allow it to be balanced before adding weight lower down.
I also had a jaeger grip from a hoyt eclipse on mine though I never removed any metal, I can't say I'm aware of the button position causing any problems even when I used the original wooden grip.
One thing most owners have in common is to keep hold of their risers, all who sell seem to express some regret after (including me).

Easily Confused

Saw a guy from one of the better squads shooting that thing at BUTC, it's even bigger in real life. Looked and sounded really solid. He seemed to be visibly struggling with the weight by the end of the knockout rounds with all the stabs and the like on it though.
Yeah he shot really well against us in the quarter finals and knocked us out :(
His release seemed to be all over the place in the semis and the finals though and it's hard to tell how much of that was nerves and how much was fatigue. It's a funny competition BUTC! I could see the technique of my team-mates slowly deteriorating and their hit rate dropped with it. I actually managed to get myself yellow carded twice in one end just from panicking under the time pressure.

Anyhow, bit off topic!

The reason for the grip being set back on the Greenhorn I've been told is that by moving the pivot point towards the archer it has less tendency to roll back and causes any weights added to have a greater effect in preventing this roll as well.

Job

The bar across the front does make it window side heavy but as mentioned theres a threaded hole just below the grip that accepts standard weights which allow it to be balanced before adding weight lower down.
I also had a jaeger grip from a hoyt eclipse on mine though I never removed any metal, I can't say I'm aware of the button position causing any problems even when I used the original wooden grip.
One thing most owners have in common is to keep hold of their risers, all who sell seem to express some regret after (including me).
Do you happen to know if this riser will pass through a 12.2cm circle? It's one of the barebow rules we have here. Thanks

Kickaha

Job said:
Do you happen to know if this riser will pass through a 12.2cm circle? It's one of the barebow rules we have here. Thanks
If you are in the UK, I believe that requirement has been dropped for target archery. Maybe one of our rules experts on here can confirm this?

Easily Confused

If you are in the UK, I believe that requirement has been dropped for target archery. Maybe one of our rules experts on here can confirm this?
If you're in the UK then the number of judges who know the barebow rules well is fairly low so I wouldn't count on them knowing about a recent rules change. I've certainly seen them completely ignore the 4" hoop rule in the past (Hoyt Eclipse with a massive weight on the front of it) and even make up some completely new rules. From the number of people shooting them barebow in the UK I would be surprised if they didn't comply with the 4" hoop rule anyway to be honest with you.

M

Mark R

Most will pass through the ring (though here the ring rule only applies to field archery) however it's tight so if the grip is modified or another grip used it may need slight adjustment.
The area needing altered is the very lowest part of the grip where the hand doesn't touch anyway.
Mine went through with the wooden grip or the hoyt plastic grip but was a few millimetres out with the jaeger on.
I now use my old eclipse for barebow with some chunky weights on but then I only shoot target so the ring doesn't apply.
I make it my business to know the rules that affect me and as most judges have a copy of the rules any discrepencies are easily rectified.

whiz

Yep. Mick Fisher now holds all the barebow field records in Australia.
Here he is with his Sirius..

DSC_4989.jpg

blakey

I'd also point out that the bow didn't clean up - the archer shooting it did. :) Clearly the riser works well for them, but it may not work for you.
One of our members who shot at the Nationals says that Mick claims the improvement in his scores is down to the riser. He broke his own FITA target record by 74 points. which is to say the least quite impressive. Cheers

JohnK

My point still stands - just because it works well for him (and I'm delighted it does), it doesn't mean it would work well for everyone. :)

He put the effort into finding the right kit for him, which IMHO is part of the skill of being a good archer.