Hoyt Pro- Series Limb Bolts

Stretch

I just thought I would put this info out there... i believe that Hoyt updated the Pro Series floating head limb bolt in the 2017 product line to remove the delrin washer from underneath (the white plastic washer).

If you have an older Hoyt riser with these bolts be careful (HPX, ION-x, Prodigy etc). I'd heard people complain before but it didn't happen to me until recently. The washer came unglued from the bolt head... no big deal you just kind of wiggle it until the washer is above the limb. However, I managed to get the limb in above the washer and string the bow before I realised. I now have a nice groove on my limb butt. Purely cosmetic but annoying.

On close inspection. The limb bolt cap has a retaining ridge to keep the washer in place. This serves nicely as a saw edge if you use the bolt without the washer in place.

Morale of the story? Check them often and glue them if they are coming loose!

I am now using an old school limb bolt (from an early RX), which is a lot lighter and the bow sounds the same (all be it it is alloy so I have to make tiller adjustments with the bow un-strung). Not sure if I'll put the pro series back in once the glue dries... which also means if you are thinking about updating an older riser/ budget riser with these I would spend your money on something that makes a difference (unless you constantly twiddle your tiller!)

Generally I like the idea of the floating head and the fuller bolt to butt contact but in reality it doesn't appear to make a significant difference.

YMMV

Stetch

EVC

My experience with this "float" head is it does not float that much, at least not when the bolt is cranked up (lower poundage). Both of my risers are with the conventional steel bolts and the floating ones are in the tool box for un unpredictable future.

As with you I did not notice any improvement noise wise. And I do not adjust these things with the bow strung (to avoid damage to the riser's threads).

ThomVis

On close inspection. The limb bolt cap has a retaining ridge to keep the washer in place. This serves nicely as a saw edge if you use the bolt without the washer in place.
Possible solution on >AT<

That's what I'm gonna do when the washers on mine come loose.

Stretch

While I accept that the ridge is small and probably could be ground out with a file/sandpaper without affecting structural integrity of the part, you are modifying a part of the bow that is not unheard of failing... so I'm not sure I would. (Although it would probably still be stronger than the alloy head bolts I am using now :))

A few dods of Easton Fast Bond adhesive (which is a super glue of sorts) seems to have worked OK. (I did completely remove the bolt so that I could do it properly)

Also I think whoever put the washers on the bolts was on the beers (or something stronger...). The second washer is not even sitting squarely in the groove, it overlaps an one side and has a gap on the other - so the washer is a bit chewed up. LOL looks like I'll need to pull that one apart and re-glue too!

Anyway, I'll stick with the light alloy RX bolts for now.

Stretch