Indoor bow

adrianms

Over the last couple of months of the indoor season I've been shooting four days a week-but three of them consecutively & I found it tiring (averaging 90+ arrows an evening)
So now thinking of building up a bow with perhaps lighter limbs. I have a SF forged riser, SF elite carbon sight in the man cave & I can use my current longrod vbar set up.
I'm currently drawing 42lb on long 36lb limbs 25" riser , what drop in poundage should I look at, without losing too much fitness? (Shooting 3 days a week, mon, wed & fri outdoors 90+ arrows) I was thinking 32lb limbs (& 37lb otf) Anyone out there using this type of setup who can relate their experience?

I recently dropped down the poundage myself following a 6 week lay-off due to injury, I was shooting 36lb limbs, 43lbs OTF and dropped down to 22# and have worked my way back up to 32#.

I would say that dropping much below 32# will result in a fairly rapid loss of fitness - even after 6 weeks off 22# was like shooting an elastic band and 28# was also fairly easy, even at the end of a training session of around 150 arrows, so are unlikely to sufficiently challenge you in order to maintain fitness.

Is the plan to shelve the higher weight limbs and drop down long term/permanently, or to add in lower poundage/higher volume training alongside your "competition" weight training to build endurance and stamina? You may find that lower poundage limbs are more critical of form deviances such as collapsing or plucking the release, which can be a useful part of practice in and of itself.

adrianms

My plans for shooting outdoors 3 times a week are in tatters, I now seem to be shooting 4-5 days a week! Between the 2 clubs I'm shooting at they seem to have settled on alternate days meaning the only day of the week free is now a Saturday (other half is now officialy an archery widow) but by heck I'm lobbing a lot of arrows.
My archery buddy started shooting 2 years ago (verses my 3) & has addmitted that his aim is to equal or best me, so there's a bit of of a cold war going on.
My body seems to be holding out OK but looking at getting some new limbs, I'm looking for smoother limbs (possibly Uukha ux100's) & I'll keep the SF Ultimate's for indoor setup (getting my friend to custom spray my old SF riser the same shade of metallic blue as my car)
So as long as my back/shoulders hold out I'm going to stick with the same poundage as now (42) just looking at a few different options limbs wise, but cosmetically the Uukha are drawing me like a moth to the flame lol.