International limb fitting ??

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Ain't limbs a problem these days?? I've got what I hope is not a really stupid question.

Does anyone know whether the manufacturers (some or all) have made any changes to the "international" limb fitting?
I've had reason to buy a couple of sets of limbs recently (debt rather than lottery win:melodrama ). One set of Samicks, One of SFs. Both are significantly tighter in the riser(s) (Spigarelli and Winact) than the previous (SF and Hoyt) - so tight in fact that I may be needing a weight training programme to get the b*ggers out again after a shoot.

Just a coincidence - or have I had my eyes and ears shut and missed something important? In the meantime, WD40 rules!:cheerful:

JohnK

Just a coincidence - or have I had my eyes and ears shut and missed something important? In the meantime, WD40 rules!:cheerful:
The only thing you've missed is that there is no standard for ILF limbs. In fact, the very term ILF is a misnomer. Other manufacturers just copy the Hoyt fitting without following any standard. This explains the variations you and others experience.

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
...limb fitting

Blimey John - worlds record fastest reply! I know what you mean - it just seemed a helluva coincidence for both new sets to be so tight! Perhaps I'm just weakening in my old age - or perhaps I should be grateful for a more stable fit:cheerful:

nfinite

Ironman
Some manufacture processes leave A bit to much vanish on.

Had the same with my new limbs,

Got one of the chaps at the club to take it down a bit where the limb goes in the socket.

nfinite

Ironman
Would recommend that your very careful if you attempt to remove any though,

I would not chance it so left it to the pro...........

jerryRTD

I would lay off the WD40 if I were you you can't tell what it will do to the limbs long term. Try rubbing the affected area with a soft pencil the graphite in the pencil should help.Or may be a little string wax?

Old Bloke

And consider this my friends. If the limbs are loose to fit into the riser and are loose when in the riser what is it that will stop them from being loose when you shoot them? The string? Left, Left, right, right, middle, middle, left, right, middle, right, right, middle, middle, left, left, left, sounds familiar? Stuck on a score and no matter how many more arrows you shoot can't improve on your best score? Find yourself changing your sight windage even when shooting indoors from one night to another and during the night? Tuned perfect one day and so bad the next you think you need another spine of arrow? Knackering you pressure button trying to tune an arrow you know is right for the bow? and you constantly thinking, what did I do with that one? Shooting outside you find your arrows going AGAINST the wind? Ah yes aren't the international limbs just the best. Good old Stylist, Portland, Whiteheart, K.G, Marksman Meteor, O.K.Sportbogen, Yamaha, Hoyt G.M..Goldseeker Turbo, Bernie the bolt please.!
Ever considered why it is that the scores (en masse) today are lower than what they were 20 years ago despite carbon this and carbon that, fastflight this and fastflight that, stabiliser this and stabiliser that.
Me and my Portland are doing fine, just fine.

joetapley

Have to agree with OldBloke. What's wanted is a Hoyt Limb Fitting upgrade kit - a 4" bolt that runs through the limb and the riser :)

HAving said that the location pins on my old KG1 got so worn that you could rock the (loose) limb tips sideways an inch. Case of align the limbs and screw the bolt down hard - and sometimes they still shifted.

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
if the scores en masse are lower then why are the classification scores going up? not "being funny" - genuine question

steve - like people have already said i think its to do with slight variation between manufacturers. maybe after a bit of use they will slide in easier

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
but that shouldnt effect the classifications as a whole - i thought they went on % of the archery population.

eg bowmen is 5% of archers etc

if the scores en masse were lower then surely the lower classifications would go down/stay the same.

joetapley

if the scores en masse are lower then why are the classification scores going up? not "being funny" - genuine question
Somewhat off topic but;
It's the distribution of archers between classifications that's gone out of kilter. For recurve, archers straight off a beginners course are making 3rd class immediately and rapidly progressing to 2nd/1st class. Whereas at one time many archers just used to stick at this level there is much more information around these days about good shooting technique that will get you further improvement. Any archer with a basically correct technique will shoot 1st class/bowman however little practice they do. With GNAS plans to eventually get a reasonable standard of coaching at club level you will end up with 90% of recreational archers being 1st class or bowman.

Situation even worse with compound. Entry level is 1st class/bowman and shoot a bit and you make MB.

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
OLD BLOKE "...... Left, Left, right, right, middle, middle, left, right, middle, right, right, middle, middle, left, left, left.........."

Do you know what OB - I reckon you're spot on with your point there - that's why I'm in no hurry to do anything that makes the limbs looser. I'm no great archer believe me but with the really tight set of limbs I could do 6 golds at 60 yards fairly consistently which is a fair leap on my miserable form this year:melodrama

Re the classifications - I know they're under review but is there a target (aargh!) date for the publication of the new ones, and how will people "transition" to the new classification levels? I'm in no hurry to go back to n/c - perhaps I'll glue the limbs in!:cheerful:

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
OLD BLOKE "...... Left, Left, right, right, middle, middle, left, right, middle, right, right, middle, middle, left, left, left.........."

Do you know what OB - I reckon you're spot on with your point there - that's why I'm in no hurry to do anything that makes the limbs looser. I'm no great archer believe me but with the really tight set of limbs I could do 6 golds at 60 yards fairly consistently which is a fair leap on my miserable form this year:melodrama

Re the classifications - I know they're under review but is there a target (aargh!) date for the publication of the new ones, and how will people "transition" to the new classification levels? I'm in no hurry to go back to n/c - perhaps I'll glue the limbs in!:cheerful:
hey steve - glad to hear your getting your form back.that spig your shooting seems a hell of a tool!

BowSurfer

Ironman
You also need to look closely at where the tightness is occurring. If it is the limb thickness that causes the tightness then thinnin it down is less of a problem, since there will be no effect on lateral movement. Also the lateral position is generally (may not be the case for all risers) controlled by the D-shaped slot inn the end of the limb, not by the sides of the limb contacting the sides of the pocket. If this is the case and it is the sides of the limb making it tight then it could be possible to thin the sides without decreasing the precision of fitting of the limb. Wahtever you do, you need to understand how the fitting works for your riser before attempting any mods, but that doesn't mean that there isn't anything that you can do to improve matters.

jet186

Hi there, re tight limbs, my son has an Eclipse (RH) his limbs have been fine since day 1, when his sister got her Eclipse (LH) At first it took two people to remove her limbs from riser, asked a shop in Guisborough if this was a known problem, sprayed the riser once with a little wd40 and since then they have been fine, I have'nt had a problem with limbs in my W&W winact at all I put it down to tolerances in the actual limbs. Regards John

Bald Eagle

I remember that well John!!! Every Spig Revo I've seen, the limbs of whatever make are a tight fit. The bolts are a bit larger diameter than other risers. All I do is sand the edge of the limb cut out with a piece of fine emery, it works fine and is not detrimental to the limb

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
....limb fitting

Thanks everyone (thanks Al - a few golds very welcome last Sunday)

It is in interesting point about where the limb tightness seems to be. For anyone who know the Spig revolution it can only be the d shaped groove or the limb bolt (as there's no pocket as such!). I actually thought it was the d pocket which is why I posted the question - but I admit I hadn't looked very closely at the limb bolt. Will go have another look.

Cheers y'all:boggled:

sigod

This matter is a point of concern for me too as I'm just about to upgrade my limbs and was considering jumping from Hoyt to Win & Win. I might have more luck with spin the bottle.

whiz

Ever considered why it is that the scores (en masse) today are lower than what they were 20 years ago despite carbon this and carbon that, fastflight this and fastflight that, stabiliser this and stabiliser that.
Is there a method of backing this up with real data or is it just conjecture?

I'm highly disinclined to believe this statement.