String Leaving strung.

heroblob

Has anyone any thoughts on leaving a recurve strung. Can it cause detrimental effects. Do people de-string their bows during the course of a long shooting day, say at lunch. When practicing at home over consecutive days, do people leave recurves strung on their bow stands ready for tomorrow, or drop the top loop back to remove the tension.
I have been trying to do a little shooting practice most days, and have been stripping the bow down after each session, but after a while re assembling does become tedious.

tel

Fonz Awardee
I leave mine strung most of the time unless I have to transport it by means of something smaller than the van I usually drive - doesn't seem to mind much. Its predecessor had been strung for over eighteen months in the corner of the spare room for when I felt enthusiastic enough for reversals and only got de-strung when I accidently kicked it.

chemistry

I'm happy to leave my bow strung all day when shooting, but personally would not leave it strung overnight or for long periods, even if I were shooting every day.

What I do do though, is leave my bow set-up but unstrung between shooting sessions. I have a small range at home in my garage try and shoot most days. I use an 'indoor' style upright bowstand and when I am finished it holds the unstrung bow fine - I leave the string on the limbs, just slipped down over the top limb so there is no tension. Then, when I want to shoot, I just put on the stringer, string the bow and that's it - takes 10 seconds.

When I shoot at the club, I just take off the string, take out the limbs, and put everything in my car - I leave the stabilisers, sight, etc. on permanently.

Hope this helps.

chemistry

PS. Although I am cautious, I'm not sure that leaving the bow strung is actually that damaging. IIRC Limbwalker on Archery Talk claimed he left his bow strung for months with no ill effects. Having said that, I prefer not to take any chances, so keep mine unstrung as described above!

heroblob

Thanks for the reply's. I had been concerned that the limbs may somehow be affected by being left in a strung state. Had been just slipping the top loop off and sliding it down the limb originally, but the bow then doesn't sit well on the stand, and so started completely taking down and putting away in the case. just becomes long winded to rebuild for only 30-40 mins practice.

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
I got one strung up leaning in the corner, been that way for weeks. Won't do it any harm :)

BorderBows

can only vouch for our limbs, for obvious reasons...
We are happy for people to leave our bows strung for ever, we have never seen a bow show any signs of damage from it being strung.
My dads bow is a 62lb bow that has been strung now for 8 months, only unstrung to play with brace height.

We would not even ask a question hinting to this in the event of any damage.

The only question would be transporting a strung bow might case an issue should the bow hit something. and unstring itself. there could be an issue there.

heroblob

Thanks again for the reply's. I had certainly not even considered transporting a built up recurve, I have spent far too much money on my setup to risk any damage. It was purely for the purpose of training at home between club shoots i was interested in, Just to cut down on wasted time. Club shoots Sun & Tue, home practice Wed - Sat. From all the reply's so far it looks like i will start leaving the bow strung during the week so that when i get a spare 30 mins i can use them.
Thanks.

Zef

I shoot almost every other day during term time during the indoor season, so tend to completely take down my bow when I stop shooting. But I've left it set up and destrung for a few days so I could do reversals. On one occasion I have also had it strung and been shooting in the rain for 12 hours one fateful June day and it was fine throughout and afterwards.

Whilst it might not affect the bow, could leaving a bow strung (for seriously long amounts of time at least) affect the string?

Dylan

We have two old sweats at our club who don't let their bows down. One has been strung since I started archery 4 1/2years ago the other has been up since before Christmas, both get shot every week without showing any signs of harm.

Kae

The American
American Shoot
I've left my bow strung for several weeks and don't expect there to ever be a problem if I leave it strung for longer periods.

Obviously, this is with a good quality recurve. My Warbow/Longbows are only strung for as long as I need them.

Compounds are permanently strung......

Kae.

King Custard

I have noticed that a bow left strung and stood on one limb ( upright ) between sessions can seem to shoot differently - so if left strung or unstrung I wouldn't suggest uneven limb loading during storage ( such as stood up ).

but i've also noticed how much 'sweeter' and more consistent a bow will feel and shoot when left strung between sessions - i've previously put this down to the string having less propensity to 'shrink back' when left under tension.

but as said - sometimes its a cow to transport a made up bow

I did shoot for a bit when I was 16, and bought a bow, left it strung, it went into the loft after the summer. Next time I found it was 17 years later when we were moving home.

Gave the thing a complete and thorugh check, all limb bolts, limbs etc. for signs of wear an tear. Still shoots OK as a beginners bow- it is the old Quicks QS1.

I did replace the string though.

heroblob

Thanks for reply's everyone. Looks like i will be setting my bow up on a Wednesday and taking it down on a Saturday.
Cheers all, have some :cake::beer:

wanshu

Just a note of caution to those of you who transport their recurve strung up ready to shoot. I'm sure your not allowed to carry it ready to shoot, its a weapon, be advised its better to ask and be sure of the facts. Better safe than sorry.

tel

Fonz Awardee
so what of compounds? Not arguing - just curious. (...and I'm sure there are bags made for transporting strung recurves, or were at least)
EDIT: Oops - late again! :)

Whitehart

The Arrowhead bags are great, I had mine made deeper so that I could also leave the sight and Extender bar on the bow.

If you do keep your bow strung for long periods make sure the limb tips free and not being twisted in anyway, as over time they will form a permanent twist, also if the bow is left in a car make sure its well ventilated and not too hot.

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
The Arrowhead bags are great, I had mine made deeper so that I could also leave the sight and Extender bar on the bow.

If you do keep your bow strung for long periods make sure the limb tips free and not being twisted in anyway, as over time they will form a permanent twist, also if the bow is left in a car make sure its well ventilated and not too hot.
Yes good suggestions :) LOL, just ordered two of them, one for myself and one for my better half :beer: