Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Discuss Limb construction vs Draw weight at the Recurve Bow within Archery Interchange Forums; Whilst I understand that better limb constructions are a smoother dress, less susceptible to temperature ...
    In the White
    Thanks

Limb construction vs Draw weight

Whilst I understand that better limb constructions are a smoother dress, less susceptible to temperature changes, don't stack as much or as soon, and are usually more efficient.

How much difference can it make?

If you have a standard 30lb set of beginner limbs with a generic fibreglass with wooden core construction, and compared them directly with a 30lb set of higher end, Carbon and foam core limbs. How much extra range do you get? How much more draw weight with the cheaper limbs, do you need to match the extra range, or arrow speed given by the higher end limbs of the same draw weight?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lihp For This Useful Post:

rmonclermc10071 (04-04-17)

3. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Lots of reasons, but none you could put figures to.
    Fibreglass is heavy, which slows them up. Carbon is lighter and stronger. But require different techniques (like curing) for assembly. Cheaper limbs can be susceptible to heat and cold. Cheap limbs you are restricted on the string materials you can use. Dacron is slow and stretchy. They might be adversely affected by rain. Better limbs may have a different profile which is expensive to hand build. But they'll be a lot faster. More expensively built limbs will likely be more reliable. Faster limbs will require a higher spined arrow than the equivalent cheap limb.
    But putting figures to it? That will depend very much on you, and how you shoot.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I can give a little info between some top end limbs - Hoyt G3's with 44-46 lbs on the fingers and Hex 6 BB2 40 lb on the fingers and I get better sight marks off the Hex's despite the lower poundage (numbers are tricky, my sight mark for 50m on the G3's was the same as 30m for the hex's). This is with everything else being the same, even down to the string material.

When I swapped from some basic Samicks to the G3's there was seemingly an improvement on cast with a similar poundage (same arrows), but it was also a different riser and it was quite a while ago so numbers are tricky.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Simply too many variables to "understand"...
    I don't s'pose even the maufacturers would claim to fully understand all the geometry and variables, without resorting to experiment.
    Del
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

In the White
    Thanks
    I'm surprised it's test that hasnt been done.

Same length riser. Same length limbs. Same weight limbs. Same draw length and then just change the limbs through a manufacturers range.

It's an X AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks

Please visit our sponsors and help keep AIUK online!

What would be the point? In real life conditions things change. Arrow weight requirements would change through the test. Individual archers' styles make differences. Even arrow charts are clearly labelled as a guide. No manufacturer is going to say "these limbs don't like rain or cold, and are slow"
    Too complicated, too many variables, no benefit to either archers or manufacturers. *Generally speaking* you get what you pay for.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast