CLICK TO REGISTER FOR THE AIUK IRONMAN
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Discuss Limb tip to string angle, bow length etc at the Recurve Bow within Archery Interchange Forums; I've measured various angles using the Technique coaching app and see that my son, has ...
    In the Blue
    Thanks

Limb tip to string angle, bow length etc

I've measured various angles using the Technique coaching app and see that my son, has a much larger string angle at anchor, allowing him a very definite chin and nose reference, whereas mine is a much smaller angle. Until recently I had a nose and side-of-chin anchor but was using the top of my thumb under my jawline. I now use the top of my finger which has moved everything 'under', my release has improved (much less plucking), few shots heading left etc., but i now don't reach my nose with the string. My horizontal group has improved but my vertical grouping has suffered. A longer bow would increase the string angle at full draw but I'm already using a 72" bow. I can get the string contact with my nose by pushing my head down but this feels uncomfortable and an unnatural position and not one that i think is repeatable; seem to spend the time at anchor poking around with my nose until the hits the string; not going to win any prizes for good form. I could go back to a more 'side' anchor. I could try some extra long limbs. But that's a big chunk of money.

Which got me thinking about other advantages/tradeoffs of having extra long limbs and an even longer bow. Measuring the string angle at the limb tips at full draw for me and for my son sees his being smaller as his bow is relatively bigger. What's going on at the limb tip as that string angle increases? I understand that there is an increase in the rate of change of draw weight after a certain draw length but what about laterally? Would any imperfection in the limbs' alignment in the riser be magnified as that string angle at the limb tip increases? How would this manifest itself in the shot?

I'm guessing being able to get a better chin/nose contact will have a bigger effect on my shooting than any mechanical improvement and I realise spending money on longer limbs won't get me on the plane to Tokyo but i like to understand these things not least to help with my son's progress.

So bowyers, archers, mechanics all information most gratefully received! Thanks.

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Can you please clarify something for me? I am confused where you mention the top of your thumb under your jawline.
    Now you are using the top of your finger, and I am trying to imagine in what way the two are different.My immediate thought was that removing the thumb would raise your hand bringing the string up nearer to your nose. I am obviously getting the wrong pictures.

Having read your post again, can we check that I am thinking about the same angles as you. The string angle at the limb tip, gets bigger as you draw the string further back. Is that matching how you are escribing it?

Thanks
    See above...it's almost impossible to guess this out without pictures and or video. You could be making a mistake in your setup and/or anchor, or it could be the shape of your face. We have no way of knowing. But most archers have to compromise to get a solid repeatable anchor. If you need a deeper side anchor due to the shape of your face you need to find additional reference points to make it consistent.

On the other hand, a 74" bow is a muckle thing and you are unlikely to get good performance (in terms of speed and sight mark) unless you are shooting 33" plus arrows. (And probably closer to 34"). Although the bow will plug every arrow in the same place if you can afford the speed loss. A low efficiency bow shot well will shoot better than the other way around :-)

Stretch

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Yes I realise a picture would be better but with glacial broadband I'll have another go with words;

Old anchor; top of my thumb under my jawline, index finger alongside my jaw underneath the fleshy part of my cheek. String contact with nose and right hand side of my chin.

New anchor; thumb tucked down and its knuckle touching my Adam's apple. Top of index finger under jawline. String contact more central on chin, no nose contact.

Better release with latter though i now realise that my improved release my have happened whilst still using the former anchor and that i shouldn't have assumed one has followed from the other!

As for the bow, my draw length is 32 1\2" to back of the riser (measuring arrow) and I'm using 32 3/4" arrows from tip of pile to bottom of nock groove.

Two angles I'm interested in; the one at the fingers which to my mind enables good chin and nose contacts if it is obtuse enough and perhaps needing a side contact with the chin if more acute. A long nose, no chin combo might be beneficial?

Other angle is the one at the limb tip. Obviously related to the one at the face and a function of overall bow length. Unrelatedly to my anchor issues, I'm interested in whether anything happens mechanically at the limb tips to the detriment of the shot at greater angles ie on bows shorter than recommended. I can understand there being an increase in arrow speed. Is there any reduction in stability, for example, or is that more dependent on limb materials etc?

Thanks for your help so far!

In the Blue
    Thanks
    "A low efficiency bow shot well will shoot better than the other way round"

So a longer bow than I currently shoot would be lower efficiency, am I right thinking I'd sacrifice the arrow speed and therefore cast? But with an improvement in the string angle for my face/anchor, would I be shooting it better? Obvs not expecting you to answer that!!

I've a good sight mark for 70m currently that leaves plenty to go at.

In the White
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rog600 View Post
    Yes I realise a picture would be better but with glacial broadband I'll have another go with words;

Old anchor; top of my thumb under my jawline, index finger alongside my jaw underneath the fleshy part of my cheek. String contact with nose and right hand side of my chin.

New anchor; thumb tucked down and its knuckle touching my Adam's apple. Top of index finger under jawline. String contact more central on chin, no nose contact.

Better release with latter though i now realise that my improved release my have happened whilst still using the former anchor and that i shouldn't have assumed one has followed from the other!

As for the bow, my draw length is 32 1\2" to back of the riser (measuring arrow) and I'm using 32 3/4" arrows from tip of pile to bottom of nock groove.

Two angles I'm interested in; the one at the fingers which to my mind enables good chin and nose contacts if it is obtuse enough and perhaps needing a side contact with the chin if more acute. A long nose, no chin combo might be beneficial?

Other angle is the one at the limb tip. Obviously related to the one at the face and a function of overall bow length. Unrelatedly to my anchor issues, I'm interested in whether anything happens mechanically at the limb tips to the detriment of the shot at greater angles ie on bows shorter than recommended. I can understand there being an increase in arrow speed. Is there any reduction in stability, for example, or is that more dependent on limb materials etc?

Thanks for your help so far!

I anchor mid chin same place all the time. No nose reference as east Asian face and nose would not allow it unless eyes on stalks a la snails. I draw by lining up string with sight pin and target and T draw straight back with all lines up on target. Photo 40cm target @ 18m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast