maybe I plan too far ahead...

jshankar

Hello again folks,

So Im going to take off for a couple of weeks to see the in-laws. And when Im back, im going to get a clicker on the bow and start working on it. I know and am mentally prepared to take a beating at first until I get better with the clicker. Soon after it'll be time for indoors.

My question is this. Archery is three days a week at the club. I try to make it to two at least most weeks. I dont get practice at home. But coming outdoors to the 2011 spring/summer season, I want to plan ahead.

a) I want to concentrate on physical fitness - are there any specific muscle groups that I should be looking at. so far for my list I have triceps, shoulders, upper back and thighs. Are there any specific exercises that is recommended
b) Ideas on how one can "train more" with the limited time available at the club. Quite often we hear "you need to shoot more arrows". Yeah! we know that. but time is limited. Im not spending 4 hours a day at the target (trust me id love nothing better). I spend 1 or 1 and a half hours twice a week. So can you recommend training drills specifically for putting yourself under pressure to score more? This way I cna have a training day and a shooting day...
c) Move from 30lbs limbs to 34lbs limbs for 2011

Cheers in advance. If Im not responding often enough, Im sunning myself by the in-laws pool in the south-west of France!
Cherio

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I see nothing wrong in planning ahead,or a long way ahead.
It might be worth having the long term plan split into shorter term steps along the way.That way you can see that you are making progress and it is always easier to stick to a plan if you need to reach a goal every week, for example.
Putting on a clicker does not mean you have to take a beating. If you set about it the right way and keep it simple, you could find it falls into place almost straight away.
There are a lot of click**threads around. Most contain horror stories.They are usually the result of archers following poor advice or expecting it to be complicated. If you think the working is complicated, you have probably heard the wrong information.

Marcus26

Get yourself a Formmaster. This will allow you to draw and even shoot the bow inside (be careful shooting it though, make sure you shoot it into something safe) and at the same time teach you good form.

Rossetti

As regards exercises, this short video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiPwPZ-54NY]YouTube - ‪Archery Tips : How to Exercise for Archery‬‎[/ame]

gives you some idea. It may look amateurish but the guy is right, these two exercises will improve muscle strength in the right areas, the only change I would say to make, is with the first exercise where you should try to match where your hand would come to in the draw, so a lot nearer to the jaw and I would make sure you are keeping a straight back.

As with most exercises of this type, heavier weight and less repetitions will build muscle and lower weight with increased reps will tone muscle, so you can use these to increase on draw poundage or just maintain bow "fitness" when you can't actually go shooting.

Regards

Jim

jshankar

Cheers for that people:

the sun is out and its a damn shame that I am not shooting and struggling with an AZERTY keyborad instead :)

ill give it a go...The sun beckons