My First Attempt

Vince Green

Hello, and firstly, thank you for the welcome I received in "Introductions".
Secondly, my apologies if this thread is in the wrong place.

Shot my first arrows today, day one of a six week course. I'm hooked, totally.
I have to wait a whole week before I can shoot another arrow, and I can't wait.

I arrived early to see a few archers aiming at targets the size of a side plate. I felt relief after they left, and the instructor pinned up some nice big targets, the size of bicycle wheel.

I left wanting to buy lots of nice shiny gear, and with several bruises along my forearm [ My fault I know, I wore the wrong bracer, and didn't like to say anything ]

I Can't wait for week, I hope the targets will be the same size, may be bigger...I would love to ask our lass to hold my Doinker, but I don't need any more bruises.

Pete.

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Sounds like you had a good time, Vince, but don't buy anything just yet!!

You may want to start a Journal so you can track your progress. :cheerful:

Vince Green

Sounds like you had a good time, Vince, but don't buy anything just yet!!

You may want to start a Journal so you can track your progress. :cheerful:
I had a great time...haven't been thinking about a journal, or even tracking my progress. I was happy not to miss the target.

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
....first attempt

Hi Vince,

This is one reeeeaallly addictive sport! Hold on to your hard-earned for a bit though; you might need it for subscriptions to AAA (Archerholics Anonymous:cheerful: - if you've looked around this forum you can see the support group is enormous:crackup: )

Good luck with the beginners course.

english_archer

Ironman
Glad you had a great time , And you will find the cant wait till next time feeling just wont go away :)
P.S. If you keep hitting your bow arm try rolling your elbow outwards (ask your coach to show you how)

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Life as you knew it has ended.... welocome to the world of archery...... you are not alone :cheerful:

reckless

Fonz Awardee
welcome aboard the obsession bus, your life as you knew it is now over.
and a whole new one has just begun.
your gonna have a lot of fun .

Vince Green

P.S. If you keep hitting your bow arm try rolling your elbow outwards (ask your coach to show you how)[/QUOTE]

Thank you for all the comments guys, and for the tip on moving the elbow outwards...appreciated.

JamesR

The American
American Shoot
Vince - glad you're enjoying archery so far! As a bit of a newbie myself, I can guarantee you the addiction will only increase the more you shoot. (Have just got back from my THIRD shoot this weekend, with another tomorrow. Bliss! :cheerful: ).

Regarding buying equipment - I can totally vouch for the "don't buy straight away" approach. I've shot with club kit for 6 months and have really had to resist the urge to buy my own stuff. But the amount you will learn and develop in the next 6 months will probably surprise you, and will have a huge impact on what you end up looking to buy.

komtox

Whey, hey, hey, another convert, Welcome to the archery world, glad to hear you are enjoying it...:cheerful:

The Enigma

Ironman
glad to know theres more ppl getting hooked everyday to the sport of archery, lol its a great sport for all the family , nice too hear from you vince, i also have too wait a week to shoot because we can only have the hall for one day, but we usually have competitons the day after, anyway have fun