Next Generation Border limbs

JohnK

Just in case anyone's interested;

Apparently we should see these coming out about the end of March. They're planning to provide them in odd lengths as well (meaning 69in, 71in and so on). I'll definitely have to look at a set of 71in limbs now my draw length is hovering near 32".

PaulT

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Interesting, in that case they would go quite well with BMG risers to make a standard length bow!

JohnK

No news on the prices yet I'm afraid. However, I think they've enhanced the recurve a little further and stiffened up the limb. More news as I get it (and as I'm allowed to release it) :)

Bald Eagle

John,
I think these are the limbs I sent to Cyprus late last year, I spoke to Sid and he told me he had sent the latest limbs out, 2 pairs and they retailed at about £330 a pair. They are apparently 5fps faster than anything on the planet! Unaffected by heat or cold.

JohnK

These aren't the same ones. He's made some target prototypes over the last year, but this is a new model.

Kellog

The American
American Shoot
Anybody know where you can buy Border limbs from? They don't appear to have much on their website and I've only ever seen them for sale on Ebay.

JohnK

Retailers in the UK that stock them (or can get them) include Quicks, Wales Archery in Newport and Centreshot Archery in Malvern. You can also buy them directly from Border. Just drop them a line.

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Kellog said:
Anybody know where you can buy Border limbs from? They don't appear to have much on their website and I've only ever seen them for sale on Ebay.
The best prices are probably from Border themselves. Drop them an email. Sid is usually very quick to reply.

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
yeah i got mine straight from border. top stuff.

will deffinatly be picking up a pair of these i think.

john you seem to know border quite well. do you know how they view sponsorship and what their requirements are??

JohnK

DMU_AC said:
john you seem to know border quite well. do you know how they view sponsorship and what their requirements are??
I've known Sid and Anne Ball for a while, since I called them in 1999 with some questions about their XP10 limbs. I went up there for a long weekend break back in 2002, and hope to do so again this year. I'm telling you this to give you some context, and to also confess that I am biased when I talk about Border products. That having been said, I've never received a penny in sponsorship or "special deals" from them.

Which brings me on to sponsorship. They don't do it, full stop. Firstly, Sid doesn't believe in it. Secondly, it's completely impractical for a small business to give away sets of limbs in an attempt to compete with the likes of Hoyt and W&W. Quite simply, this is why you don't see many top archers shooting their kit. We all like to say that it's not the bow, it's the archer who wins tournaments. Logically it follows that if Archer A can get two free bows a year by accepting a sponsorship deal, they'll do it, especially given the cost of other equipment, travelling to tournaments etc.

Border do have a few test shooters here and there, but they certainly don't get handed bundles of free kit.

Personally, if I ever got to the dizzy heights of 1250+, I'd keep shooting Border limbs. I think they're worth it.

Bald Eagle

Well said John, I think border limbs are the best too. I spoke to Sid a while ago and if you ask him he'll send you a c.d. of their product range. He also said that this year they will be making limbs in different lengths and weights to keep on the shelf so you don't have to wait one month, the time it takes to make a set, 'cos if they come ouy wrong, they start again!

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
cheers jon

i too am biased towards border products as i use them - but thats because they give me a great deal of confidence and they actually seem to care about the archers needs more than the sale. i have tried others and its always borders that seem to other that bit more.

i only asked about sponsorship as it was somehting i wasnt sure if they done - have got on international squad this year so was just wondering, no offence intended.

cant wait for these new ones to come out

JohnK

No offence taken, and I'm sorry if I came across as if there were. It wasn't my intention :)

And many congratulations on making the squad! :D

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
JohnK said:
No offence taken, and I'm sorry if I came across as if there were. It wasn't my intention :)

And many congratulations on making the squad! :D

thanks Jon

i just didnt want to come across as i was trying to blag stuff as soon as it was released/straight away.

but being a student every little helps...

really chuffed to be back on squad. just need more practice and consistancy now..

Al

JohnK

I remember my days of being a student (or on the dole, trying to get sponsorship for further studies). Loads of free time to shoot, but no money. Now I have some money (although not lots), and little time. Oh well.

Good luck with your shooting.