Nocks - Tight or loose

A

Archer-8

I was using Easton small groove pin nocks and they were a little tight on my string. I know you are suppose to put an arrow on the string and let it dangle off the string and then tilt the bow and if the arrow moves, the nock is too tight. I did that and the arrow moves slightly.
So I tried Gold Tip pin nocks which only come in one size and they are the large groove. They are able to stay on the string but they are loose.
I'm just wondering what other recurve archers prefer, loose or tight? I mean their nocks :)

Also does anyone know any good pin nocks that have small groove besides Easton?

Trunkles

The American
American Shoot
You should be able to clip the arrow nock onto the string, hold with the string horizontally and a sharp tap on the string should detach the arrow, but only with a sharp tap.

mediumtab

AIUK Saviour
Use forefinger and middle finger together to tap the string - arrow should come off simulating release. If not hold nock end for a good 5-6 secs into boiling water,clip back onto string and let cool off. Try tap test until satisfactory...:poulies:

greygoose

I was using Easton small groove pin nocks and they were a little tight on my string. I know you are suppose to put an arrow on the string and let it dangle off the string and then tilt the bow and if the arrow moves, the nock is too tight. I did that and the arrow moves slightly.
So I tried Gold Tip pin nocks which only come in one size and they are the large groove. They are able to stay on the string but they are loose.
I'm just wondering what other recurve archers prefer, loose or tight? I mean their nocks :)

Also does anyone know any good pin nocks that have small groove besides Easton?
Hi A8,
I do not think much of the method for testing that you mention as all nocks will bind to some degree or another due to the wedging action in these circumstances and this does not accurately reflect the force required to release when shooting.
If you can, try pulling an arrow off the string with some ones bow that is fitted with Beiter nocks and nocking points and this will give you a good idea of what effort is required. The most important single factor is to ensure that all of your arrows are an identical fit so do not try to modify your nocks as you will not end up with identical sizes.
Greygoose

pencarrow

If when you say "it moves when I tilt it", the nock slides up & down on the string. Put on a second nocking clip below the arrow. (o)

:arc:

Fritz

The Meggy

Use forefinger and middle finger together to tap the string - arrow should come off simulating release. If not hold nock end for a good 5-6 secs into boiling water,clip back onto string and let cool off. Try tap test until satisfactory...:poulies:
I'm not a fan of doing this, I can't see how you will ever end up with the exact same fit for all your nocks. Lack of uniformity is not what you want in archery. Better to try a different thickness or serving material in my view.

A

Archer-8

If when you say "it moves when I tilt it", the nock slides up & down on the string. Put on a second nocking clip below the arrow. (o)

I didn't mean tilting I meant rotating the bow which will make the string rotate. If the arrow moves when the string is rotated, then it is too tight. I do have 2 nocking servings.

I'll try the flicking the string test instead.

I had used Beiter in/out nocks for a long time but have now switched to pin nocks. Thanks for telling me about Beiter I wasn't aware that they make a pin nock.

A

Archer-8

The arrows with the Gold Tip pin nocks fall off with just a slight tap from one finger.

pencarrow

Archer-8
I use Gold Tip nocks, 16 strand FastFlight string , center serving is 14# mono-filament fishing line. Works great, keeps it's shape and lasts forever. the fit is perfect for a large groove nock.Make your string to fit the nocks you want to use, do not make( modify) the nocks to fit the string. Too much variation.

Cheers

Last edited: