Question about arrows...

L

leckie

I bought some 2-04 A/C/C's recently from Ebay thinking they would suit my set-up but would like to get a second opinion as i'm not so sure if they're right for me now.

My draw length is about 24 inches which means i'm pulling about 27lbs, the arrows are 27" which isn't so much of a problem as I don't use a clicker, but when I asked a shop if I could get away with having them cut to the same length as my old allys (26") they disagreed and thought that cutting them would make them too stiff, despite the Easton arrow selection chart contradicting this.

So what i'm asking is since apparently there is no arrow for a 24" draw length a bit of advice. Can I get away with the ones i've got or does anyone have any advice or recomendations?

SLOWHAND

The solution is easy. Try a bare shaft test with the arrows before you cut them. If they tune weak then you can cut them in increments of say an inch and try again. If they dont tune weak then you are stuck with that length.

L

leckie

I have tried a bare shaft test, the shaft goes very far to the left.

I've also been advised that an alternative shaft size may make a difference.

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
SLOWHAND said:
The solution is easy. Try a bare shaft test with the arrows before you cut them. If they tune weak then you can cut them in increments of say an inch and try again. If they dont tune weak then you are stuck with that length.

hey,

we tried a bareshaft tune but the bare shaft was going way way over to the left and it didnt really seem to want to come in too much.

would a different spine of arrow help or ar there none really available for this set up? i have had a look at the easton arrow charts and it sayd that at 25/26" for 24-29lbs the 2-04's should be ok...?

R

rgsphoto

leckie said:
I bought some 2-04 A/C/C's recently from Ebay thinking they would suit my set-up but would like to get a second opinion as i'm not so sure if they're right for me now.

My draw length is about 24 inches which means i'm pulling about 27lbs, the arrows are 27" which isn't so much of a problem as I don't use a clicker, but when I asked a shop if I could get away with having them cut to the same length as my old allys (26") they disagreed and thought that cutting them would make them too stiff, despite the Easton arrow selection chart contradicting this.

So what i'm asking is since apparently there is no arrow for a 24" draw length a bit of advice. Can I get away with the ones i've got or does anyone have any advice or recomendations?
Hi Leckie,

According the Easton shaft selector programme, 27" is ideal as it is. Cutting them to 26" would require a 2L-04. This will make your 2-04 tune stiff in theory. My advice would be to shoot them at 27" and see how they tune.

Checking the shaft selecor the 1413 will outperform the ACC anyway as it's much lighter and a little thiner. A light bow such as yours does not gain a great deal switching to carbons. the heavier ACC may help on windy days perhaps as they will drift less due to the higher mass. But they are 3" longer, so will have more profile to catch the wind. It's a close run thing...Best shoot them both and let the groups decide.

napolienne

Fonz Awardee
leckie said:

My draw length is about 24 inches which means i'm pulling about 27lbs...

Tell me about it. I have exactly the same draw length and almost the same poundage as you (28lbs), and have just ordered a set of ACCs. Got no end of complications, stemming mainly from archery shops who take the charts as gospel. End result I went for the 3L-00 - I tend to need a stiffer arrow than what the selection charts recommend.

You say the bare shaft is going to the left i.e. stiff side - you could compensate for this with heavier points, easy if the ACCs are fitted with screw ins.

Also, what size spine were your old alis? Look here for a spine/weight comparison chart. You find your ideal carbon by going horizontally left - the ACCS closest to that line would be the best, theoretically.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
arrows

Stiff and left are correct if the archer is right handed. The opposite is true for left handers.I assume we are talking right handed.

napolienne

Fonz Awardee
I presumed so. We left handers are usually self conscious enough to mention it straight off!

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
yes sorry people she is right handed. so the arrows appear to be too stiff. what is the weaker size down from 2-04? A/C/C sizes confuse me..

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
In general terms, smaller numbers mean weaker arrows.
e.g. 3-28 is weaker than 3-39
2-00 is weaker than 2-04 ( is there a 2-00?)

Tuck

Have you actually measured the poundage?

At shorter draw lengths force can drop off more rapidly - check it

The arrows are tuning stiff - can you wind up the limbs to a higher weight?

Sometimes even 2 lb can affect bare shaft tune considerably.

otherwise

reduce mass at the nock end - spinwings and small nocks instead of larger vanes

increase point weight - as long as you can get a sight mark at the longest distance. 100 grains gives a good FOC and will weaken the apparent spine.

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
yep we have had the poundage measured to 27lbs.

yes can also wind the poundage up but dont wanna overload the archer :p

the vanes used now are pretty small, will look into getting some heavy points next i guess.

Tuck

In that case have you tried softening the button a bit?

Even if arrows are a bit stiff they can group ok - but are very intolerant of any variation in loose - a less than perfect loose will give a blue rather than a red!

Had the same problem with my indoor setup this year - just could not tune the X7's! Wound up limbs 1.5 lbs and bare shaft came central rather than black at 20 yds 60 cm target.

The shooter may not even notice + 1lb and anything will help.

Tuck

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
tried softening the button and it ended up just too soft. when i say the bare shaft is going way left i mean it can end up on the boss next to us.

may have to concede defeat on these i think

cheers for the ideas and info though

al

Last edited:
R

rgsphoto

I am still at a loss as to why you are bothering with the ACC? The XX75 1413 will be better anyway..:boggled: