Range as function of poundage. And another thing. Three things, in fact.

mully

I currently shoot at 34 lb. We've just moved outside at the club for the first outdoor session of the year - it's my first time shooting outdoors, having shot on an indoor 20-yard range since I started a few months ago. My bow can be adjusted up to about 38 lb, I think. Shooting from 30 yards was ok, once I'd adjusted sight/windage. The question is - how far could I shoot with a bow of that poundage, using Easton Jazz arrows?

And another thing.

When I draw fully, I always feel as if....well, if the draw was an inch or two longer, I'd be more comfortable, put it like that. Is it possible to adjust the draw length without too much hassle?

Oh, and another another thing, while I'm at it.

A fellow club member has sold me a carbon long rod and two stabilisers, but no v-bar. Which would be better, an adjustable v-bar or a fixed one? I've already ordered one from Bowsports, but I'm curious as to whether I've made the right choice.

Thanks

Stephen Mulholland

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
38 lb is enough to reach 100 yards comforatbly, but Jazz arrows won't be greatly accurate at that range. They'll be affected by wind more than alu/carbon composite arrows would be. But I've had decent scores at up to 60 yards with Jazz arrows.

Draw length: do you mean the draw-length of the bow, or your own draw length? If the bow, what make and model is it?

V-bar: there's less to come loose with a fixed v-bar, but an adjustable v-bar allows far more options. In particular, it allows you to angle the v-bars down, which some people like to do. I prefer the fixed ones myself.

mully

TJ Mason - 15/4/2005 2:36 PM

38 lb is enough to reach 100 yards comforatbly, but Jazz arrows won't be greatly accurate at that range. They'll be affected by wind more than alu/carbon composite arrows would be. But I've had decent scores at up to 60 yards with Jazz arrows.

Draw length: do you mean the draw-length of the bow, or your own draw length?
(Apologies for the delay in responding, I've been away for a few days)

I mean the bow, if that makes sense. I just feel that if the draw was an inch longer, I could have a more stable reference point with the platform finger tab I'm using.

If the bow, what make and model is it?
It's a KAP Evolution 2, 68".

V-bar: there's less to come loose with a fixed v-bar, but an adjustable v-bar allows far more options. In particular, it allows you to angle the v-bars down, which some people like to do. I prefer the fixed ones myself.
Actually, I bought the adjustable one, but wish now I'd got a fixed one.

Thanks

Stephen

joetapley

You will reach 100 yds with 38# Jazz arrows - problem is going to be putting a sight on the gold at that distance. Remember that if you reverse the sight (put it between you and the bow) you can run with the sight higher up the sight bar.

Increasing draw length depends on how long your arrows are - if you have 2" extending beyond the button then a 1" increase just feasible. A dodge to extend arrow length is to cut a (same) shaft into say 1/2" long sections and install these on the pile insert.

mully

joetapley - 18/4/2005 2:45 PM

Increasing draw length depends on how long your arrows are - if you have 2" extending beyond the button then a 1" increase just feasible.
There's about 1.5 - 2" beyond the button at full draw - how would I increase the draw by an inch?

Stephen

joetapley

You said it yourself

When I draw fully, I always feel as if....well, if the draw was an inch or two longer, I'd be more comfortable
With 'beginners' draw length generally increases as their technique improves. (bow arm alignment, back tension etc.)

One suggestion is to use a low draw weight bow and identify the draw length at which everying techniquewise feels right. Measure the length and (with a clicker) transfer this length to your actual bow. May be a struggle at first because of the increase draw weight. Can take months to get the muscles up to speed.