CLICK TO REGISTER FOR THE AIUK IRONMAN
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Timid Toad
Discuss Recurve strings (whats the difference)? at the Recurve Bow within Archery Interchange Forums; To preface this: I was shooting indoors with the club a couple of weeks ago ...
    In the Black
    Thanks

Recurve strings (whats the difference)?

To preface this: I was shooting indoors with the club a couple of weeks ago and one of the members strings failed (he was left with 2 or 3 strands holding the on for dear life at 3/4 draw). It was a nervous moment down the line but no one was hurt.

I currently use an 18 strand String Flex Fast Flight 68" string that came with my recurve (still on my first bow). I'm am considering getting a spare for the quiver so I thought I'd have a look (via the magic man archery shop) at what's out there... Fast Flight, Dracon, Reign Customs... A newbie question but what is the difference in string materials? And does number of strands really make a difference (I'm guessing a higher number of strands produces more power?)?

Thanks

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

Rik
    Thanks
    Dacron (polyester) is an older material, reliable, but slow and stretchy.
    Most modern recurve bows use variations on polyethylene (hmpe) - Dyneema, Fastflight... Sometimes other materials are added - gore fibres for instance.

There are also non-stretch materials like Vectran, which can be useful for compounds, but are not recommended for recurve bows.

There are minor differences in speed/durability between the different flavours of hmpe, and different strand thickness means that you need different numbers of strands to make a string to fit your nocks (it's not generally to do with performance).
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

In the Black
    Thanks
    Thanks Rik. I will stick with what’s going The for a while.

Thanks
    One of Waynes went pop at Severns as well, so if it was Waynes that went on the line he might need to have a look at his bow.
    Noli habere bovis, vir. - Bart

It's an X AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yes, I've never had one break (well, apart from a 5 strand flight string, which didn't actually break, just turning into a 66" elastic band). So it's worth checking if there's any rough bits round the limb tips, which can wear. Also, when storing strings, no sharp kinks!
    AndyW likes this.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

In the Green
    Thanks
    Hi

I have been working towards my County Coach level and one of the topics set was to explain different strings etc...... I guess I must have done a reasonable job as my pass mark was 74% (so maybe 26% wrong!). I am not sure how to attach my piece of work but happy for you to email me on paulmaines10@gmail.com and I will send you my work.

Hope I can help (probably in a small way).

Paul

I was shooting indoors with the club a couple of weeks ago and one of the members strings failed (he was left with 2 or 3 strands holding the on for dear life at 3/4 draw). It was a nervous moment down the line but no one was hurt.

I currently use an 18 strand String Flex Fast Flight 68" string that came with my recurve (still on my first bow). I'm am considering getting a spare for the quiver so I thought I'd have a look (via the magic man archery shop) at what's out there... Fast Flight, Dracon, Reign Customs... A newbie question but what is the difference in string materials? And does number of strands really make a difference (I'm guessing a higher number of strands produces more power?)?

Thanks[/QUOTE]