Shooting Outside

Jenny

So...tonight is the first night I'll be shooting outside.

Does anyone have any tips? Is it much more dificult than shooting indoors?

~Jenny~

Gold Flinger

Fonz Awardee
Good luck with your first outdoor outing Jenny. You shouldn't find it much different - there are just more variables ie. wind! :eek:
And personally, I think wind affects the archer (stop sniggering :( ) more than it affects the arrows. You're more likely to get blown off aim at full draw. Don't be afraid of coming down if the wind picks up as you draw, there's no point making life difficult for yourself! :)
Increased distance shouldn't make any difference to your technique, but it is far more rewarding when you hit a ten!
Have fun and report back with your thoughts. ;)

Tobytoolbag

Fonz Awardee
With the state of the weather at the moment, I'd take a golfing brolly to shelter under between ends!

cecile

Shooting outside may be really funny considering all the factors to take into account.

In order to appreciate, you will probably need :

sun-glasses,
a hat,
an umbrella,
good shoes...

If the ground is wet and you don't have boots, you may put on your shoes plastic bag secured with a rubber band at the ankle. It does not look pretty, but this is efficient to prevent soaked feet.
If the wheather is wet, you may wear a cagoule under a rather tight shirt that will prevent it from being caugth by the string.

As for shooting outdoor, energic release is often highly recommended. It helps a lot not being too much bothered when it's windy. Aiming step shall also be short in that case, unless you have the body of a muscular woodcutter...

Jenny

Thanks for all the advice :)

I've just got back and it was great fun...much better than shooting indoors.

Luckily I didn't get wet (although it did rain a bit on the way there) and it ended up being quite sunny, but it was really windy!! I took your advice GoldFlinger and came down when I was being totally buffeted by the wind!!

I have to agree that I think it affected me more than it did the arrows but it was a bit difficult to tell cause the targets weren't that far away.

I got to meet loads of new people too :)

~Jenny~

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
Outdoors is so much more of a buzz than indoors. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

When you decide to start increasing the distances (for more and more buzz!), do it quite steadily. Get good at 30m, then move up to 40m and stay there until you get quite good, etc. Moving up to too long a distance too early can be disheartening -- it takes a while to get the hang of distance.

cliveanne

Ironman
Jenny - 17/6/2005 12:16 AM

Thanks for all the advice :)

I've just got back and it was great fun...much better than shooting indoors.

Luckily I didn't get wet (although it did rain a bit on the way there) and it ended up being quite sunny, but it was really windy!! I took your advice GoldFlinger and came down when I was being totally buffeted by the wind!!

I have to agree that I think it affected me more than it did the arrows but it was a bit difficult to tell cause the targets weren't that far away.

I got to meet loads of new people too :)

~Jenny~
Glad you enjoyed it.
TIP: On a cold day, keep warm in your non-shooting periods otherwise, you body will cool down & your shooting will deteriorate ;)

Barry C

outdoors is less forgiving than indoors, many can shoot good scores indoors but fail to shoot well outside. But outdoors is so much more fun :D

cecile

I agree completely.
How happy I am when winter indoor tournaments stop!!! And the longer the distance the better!

wingate_52

Get all your sight marks, sort out the sight for your longest distance and make a note of all your settings and sight marks. When you shoot in a competition you will be ready and have all your sighting marks sorted out ready for the distance changes. One less thing to worry about.

Cakemeister

Fonz Awardee
Outdoors is simply the best. More space, fresh air, not having to shae the range with a badminton club & endless parties (winter Sunday shooting= sticky beer soaked floors, stale cigarette smell & the odd balloon still hanging in the rafters) plus real distance shooting.

Pete