Shooting without a clicker

targets3D

I am having trouble with grouping my arrows vertically. I anchor consistently (at 2 points -index finger to side of the mouth and knuckle to the jaw) with a side-of-the-face anchor. Yet there is a quite a discrepency in shots due to how much I am drawing the bow in an attempt to keep back tension.

My question is can one draw consistently without a clicker (don't have one)

Thanks
K

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
A not so simple answer is, you might be able to draw with more consistency than you have at present.That would depend on how much useful effort you put into that aspect of the shot.
There is a chance, that the vertical spread could be due to the quality of each release, as much as the length of draw.

Nightimer

I'm sorry but you are wrong. Some people can draw consistently without a clicker its just a click, if used properly, will make your draw even more consistent.
You might be able to draw to a constant point but can you release at that point.
Take a look at a few non clicker recurve archers.
You get draw,anchor,creep forward and loose.
I am not saying that this is ALL archers its just that it is very hard to draw and hold and maintain the exact length each time.

backinblack

Something I am trying at the moment (started tonight) is avoiding pulling the string too tightly into my face - simply a light touch to the reference points on my chin and nose.

Once at this point, I am able to work my back a little more to get my draw elbow into line before release. This is shooting with a clicker but a similar approach might help to gain a little more consistency when shooting barebow.

English Bowman

The simple answer is no you cannot draw consistently without a clicker.
I would say that the simple answer is yes you can draw consistently without a clicker, BUT, it's much, much more difficult, and if the option to use one is there you will do better with one.

I shoot without a clicker, but my reason is that the main bow I use is a longbow so I don't want to train myself to rely on a clicker. I can still put in a decent score with a recurve, but if I ever go over to recurve fully I'll start using the clicker. I can shoot well without it until I get tired, then I have to be careful not to creep forward before I loose. A clicker would prevent me from doing this.

Tropicalshot

Attach a clicker and see for yourself, if you dont like it take it off, but see the difference if any for yourself

whiz

I'm sorry but you are wrong. Some people can draw consistently without a clicker its just a click, if used properly, will make your draw even more consistent.
Well, every single bit of evidence points against what you have said.

Consistent means "without variation". If people were capable of drawing consistently without variation, they'd be able to do everything else without variation as well. Which means all their arrows would be hitting each other with every single shot....

Wouldn't that make competitions boring?

petehulme

Attach a clicker and see for yourself, if you dont like it take it off, but see the difference if any for yourself
I agree but give it some time. I was advised to start using a clicker a few weeks ago and, for a while, my shooting fell apart. I think I was so focussed on the clicker that I lost everything else but, once I got used to it, it has definitely helped me and improved my shooting

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
I am having trouble with grouping my arrows vertically. I anchor consistently (at 2 points -index finger to side of the mouth and knuckle to the jaw) with a side-of-the-face anchor. Yet there is a quite a discrepency in shots due to how much I am drawing the bow in an attempt to keep back tension.

Thanks
K
Your anchor point sounds like a barebow anchor. Are you shooting barebow or with sights?
If barebow, you can't use a clicker anyway.
If using a sight, you can get a more consistent draw length by anchoring under the jaw, touching the string to the tip of your nose (if your facial shape permits) and your index finger to a consistent point on the underside of the jaw bone. This will give a more consistent draw length than a side-of-face anchor.

Skybone

Like TJ said, from what to OP said, they are shooting barebow/bowhunter style rather than sighted/freestyle recurve as everyone else has assumed. It sounds to me as though the issue is with the anchor point rather than adding more kit to the bow (which, if you're shooting barebow/bowhunter, will not be "legal" depending on the rules of the archery association you;re shooting under).

As the side of the mouth is "flexible", and liable to movement, I would suggest that a more "secure" anchor point is found/used. Maybe, instead of using the index finger to mouth, try index finger to top canine tooth (it doesn't move)?

TBH, I agree with what PetrolHead has said, in that you can shoot consistently without using a clicker... SO LONG AS YOU HAVE A STABLE ANCHOR POINT TO BEGIN WITH.

targets3D

Thank you all. I have tried a few of the suggestions such as changing anchor point to top of canine tooth and it has help (under the jaw was simply too awkward for me).

Now that I have anchored, how does one start "expansion" once the anchor is in place. I try to pull back the string and push with bow - as much as possible. However, I feel it causes a very inconsistent draw due to the energy one needs to expend to do that. Also, getting that exact expansion everytime is very tough.

BanditMK2

At what distance do you see the vertical errors? I would have thought variation in draw length would also give left right problems too as the actual ooomph to the arrow will vary, and if bad enough the arrow will fly differently shot to shot as it may behave weak or even stiff?

targets3D

At what distance do you see the vertical errors? I would have thought variation in draw length would also give left right problems too as the actual ooomph to the arrow will vary, and if bad enough the arrow will fly differently shot to shot as it may behave weak or even stiff?
yes - all the above. I am getting variations both left and right. I shoot 10m and 20m

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Now that I have anchored, how does one start "expansion" once the anchor is in place. I try to pull back the string and push with bow - as much as possible. However, I feel it causes a very inconsistent draw due to the energy one needs to expend to do that. Also, getting that exact expansion everytime is very tough.
I cannot answer your question fully, but I would say the expansion should happen without pushing the bow further away from your face. The bow arm resists the bow's tendency to push towards the face.
The forearm of your drawing arm should be more or less in line with the direction of the shot(viewed from above). During expansion it will move a little, further away from the target, but not much. ( 2-3mm perhaps)It is vital that it doesn't move the opposite way and end up letting go of the string while it is moving towards the target.

addo

Thanks
K
Yes you can to an extent,but reckon that you must be very positive and attentative on release or you will get a lot of vertical spreading.

I reckon a dodgy release causes more vertical spread than variation in draw length though.A good indicator of a dodgy release is if you shoot the odd arrow overly high or low.If you get a lot of low arrows then its definately a poor release rather than a draw length issue

Perhaps you could try and concentrate on your releases for a week or so and see what happens.

urbin

For me personally

I've noticed that head position is what causes variation in my ability to "get through the clicker". So if I was shooting without a clicker and had what I thought was a consistent anchor, I could still fall into the trap of changing head position and changing my draw length slightly.

Yet another variation to consider...

targets3D

Yes you can to an extent,but reckon that you must be very positive and attentative on release or you will get a lot of vertical spreading.

I reckon a dodgy release causes more vertical spread than variation in draw length though.A good indicator of a dodgy release is if you shoot the odd arrow overly high or low.If you get a lot of low arrows then its definately a poor release rather than a draw length issue

Perhaps you could try and concentrate on your releases for a week or so and see what happens.
Interesting observation addo. I always assume release would affect horizontal variation due to plucking. What would you suggest are the key areas I need to focus on when releasing to avoid the vertical variation?