Short limb dovetail dent

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Have you tried to press the pin down and then release it quickly? If you press it down with something flat, like a butter knife, and slide the blade off to the side, the pin might jump back to a better position. If you repeat that several times it may free itself.
I think the pin locates the limbs while you string the bow after that the string keeps everything where it should be.

BillM

It looks like the spring within the dovetail has snagged. You can remove the dovetail by unscrewing the detent and withdraw the pin, the spring should be uniform but it will be obvious if it is damaged. I've replaced a bent spring with something similar (OR try get a replacement from a retailer - unlikely) and as Geoff says the string keeps the limb in place once the bow is assembled. You can also try spraying the dovetail/pin with silicone and see what happens.

BillM

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
They're not a functional part of your bow. They stop relatively loose fit limbs falling out while you string. I take mine out completely.

Mark31121

Ironman
To be honest I'd be more concerned about the longer pin as it's more likely to get your limb trapped in the riser. As long as the limbs don't fall out when stringing then they're fine as they are, or as TT said they're not really needed - I had a set of limbs without them as they were getting caught on the riser.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
To be honest I'd be more concerned about the longer pin as it's more likely to get your limb trapped in the riser. As long as the limbs don't fall out when stringing then they're fine as they are, or as TT said they're not really needed - I had a set of limbs without them as they were getting caught on the riser.
Yes. I had that happen with a particular riser/limb combination. I had to disassemble the dovetails to get the limbs out. Solved by swapping out the pins for a shorter set from a different make of limb.

I have also seen the opposite problem though - the pin so short, or the spring so weak, that the limbs tend to fall out while you're trying to get to the point of stringing them.

Surovi

Thanks!
I don`t like the fact that it is possible to remove the limb almost by touching. The riser and limbs are new.
After a couple of months ...who knows.. :scratchch