Silly question really

HELLCAT

Hi ,
Recently moving to carbon limbs ...
I have been warned against the use of Dacron with carbon limbs . Would the correct be Fastflite ???:blush:

Sorry for what is probably a straight forward answer for most .

Second thoughts , is there a "newbi" technical help or basics thread for items such as this on the forums ?
Thanks ,

Warren

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I can't answer that Warren as I'm a newbie and a typical woman in that 'I just shoot the bow'!!! There are many newbie's on here and this is as good a place as any to post! :beer:

wingate_52

I have pairs of Stringflex fast flight, on my Winact carbon limbs. 18 strand for indoors and 16 strand for outdoors which I alternate between for even wear and tear. There is a 20 yard sight difference at 50 yards, the 16 strand being a bit faster.

R

rgsphoto

HELLCAT said:
Hi ,
Recently moving to carbon limbs ...
I have been warned against the use of Dacron with carbon limbs . Would the correct be Fastflite ???:blush:

Sorry for what is probably a straight forward answer for most .

Second thoughts , is there a "newbi" technical help or basics thread for items such as this on the forums ?
Thanks ,

Warren
You can still use the Dacron string with your new carbon limbs. The problem is with Fast flite when used with some of the training limbs, they can't cope with the faster string and could break. Dacron is quite forgiving and flexible. but a lot slower. The advantage with moving to fastflite is down to speed, as another person has mentioned your sight marks will improve dramatically.

Just remember the faster limbs and a fast string will effect the tune of your exsisting arrows. Assuming they were ok before, they will now be weak. However I suspect you have increased bow poundage and also bought some more arrows too? If not then arrows may now be on your shopping list unless you can shorten them to make them stiffer.

HELLCAT

Only 34lb at 28" at the moment ( until I am fully back into it ) . Is this too low for fast flite or does it not matter ?
As for arrows , I am considering Alu Carbon as I am looking at both indoors and field . Any comments / advise ?
Cheers

R

rgsphoto

HELLCAT said:
Only 34lb at 28" at the moment ( until I am fully back into it ) . Is this too low for fast flite or does it not matter ?
As for arrows , I am considering Alu Carbon as I am looking at both indoors and field . Any comments / advise ?
Cheers

It does not matter. Fast flite will be fine.

Arrows:-

Assuming a 29" arrow ( bit longer than draw length)

3-04 ACC (Stronger than all the rest good outdoors but slower than Redline)
1914 X7 (Stronger than XX75)
1916 XX75 ( buy these to start with, cheap and good indoors, ok at short distance outdoors)
690 Redline/ Beman energy ( fastest outdoors, pure carbon, Bemans just as good and half the price)

Good shooting

Max

Just think of Dacron as a shock absorber, while Fastflight (and most of the other new materials) as rather unyeilding. You can use Dacron on any limb, but with carbon limbs you lose a lot of the speed advantage you gain from the limb, if the string is absorbing some of the engergy by stretching slightly under load.

However, everything has a price. A fast string and fast limbs can be more unforgiving of a bad loose, so going for pure speed is not always the advantage it seems. Dacron is a good choice for wooden limbs and traditional bows (like longbows) where the increased shock load of Fastflight can cause long term damage. A 16 strand Fastflight would probably be OK - 18 Strand might be a bit over the top for 34lb, but I stand to be corrected on that. I have used BCY 8125 with 16 strands at all weights between 32 and 38lb with no problems.

My recommendation for arrows would be the ACC 3-04 - good for indoors and outside at the distances you will be shooting with a 34lb limb. Not quite so good at longer distances (80 -100 yards) and in the wind, but a good all rounder.

HELLCAT

tarkwin said:
no such thing as a silly question...

T.
Unless you know the answer , hehehe :rotfl:
Thanks guys , definately alot of knowledge in these forums , and plenty of people offering help to boot !
1st class AAA***

wingate_52

Arrow selection

For outdoors. The best 2 archers shoot X10's and ACE. The next happy band of archers all shoot Navigators. Half the price or less and we would not have the skill to take advantage of the more expensive arrows
1 other guy shoots navigators, he can do well but does not shoot enough, all his equip is top notch bow, carbon limbs, copper john,gehmann recticule, quality long and short rods.
Another guy shoots navigators and does well.
Another shoots redlines and does more than well, but can spend time searching for the odd arrow at distance with a rake.
Another shoots Triples,holding the nocks on with ptfe tape looks messy, but he does well.
You won't shoot well above 60 yards with alloys if there is any wind.

Barry C

Im not sure the triple nock issue is common. I have used over 30 triples and maybe my friends another 30-50, none have had any issue with loose nocks.

All carbon arrows are defy common sence.