Soma CEX5 Vs. Fiberbow S3

Has anybody tested out these longrods, back to back, to determine which is stiffer?

If not, has anybody got any feedback on the Soma CEX5.

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
Has anybody tested out these longrods, back to back, to determine which is stiffer?

If not, has anybody got any feedback on the Soma CEX5.
You can't test long rods "back to back" and "determine which is stiffer". The only longrod testing the "man in the street" can do with longrods is go "Ooo, that's a nice colour/design/size/weight/shape, I'll buy that one" ...

The Soma CEX5 is fine and will meet all your long rodding needs.

I should have clarified the question. I wish to know which of these 2 rods is stiffer, and was hoping that someone with access to both rods (possibly in the archery trade) has tested the rods by maybe fixing one end into a vice and hanging a weight on the other end to determine the amount of flex, in each.

It's the method I would choose, but unfortunately I don't have access to both rods, and do not intend to purchase them both, just for the purpose of doing the test.

If I were to purchase the Soma CEX5, it would only be if it was proven to be stiffer than the Fiberbow S3.

Whitehart

The FB S3 is stiffer than the CEX5 I have not hung weights on the end but using a similar force I can't bend the S3 even the 32" but the CEX5 does flex - not as much as the CEX2 though.

These videos may help but the only way to know which one you like the feel of is to try one. But if you shoot quite a high draw weight and have a lot of weight on your longrod it will not turn to jelly during the shot like some.

YouTube - Il canale di FiberBowTube

What you will notice with the S3 is how little the rod ripples during the shot, another reason why on the continent this is not only proving popular as a recurve longrod but also is popular with compound archers offering greater overall shot stability whilst the arrow is still attached to the string.

Despite all this stiffness and good dampening qualities there is still good feed back from the shot, it does not totally deaden the shot like some which are not as stiff.

Worthipa - the unique shape and black high gloss carbon finish also looks great :)

Thanks for that, at least I now know which is the stiffest of the two. I knew the CEX5 would be stiffer than the CEX2, but didn't know how it compared to the S3.

Your input is much appreciated. Have some beer & cake, on me.:beer::cake3::cake:

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
Worthipa - the unique shape and black high gloss carbon finish also looks great :)
Cool WhitehartFB, I will immediately rush out and buy a set to add to my massive collection that I can't tell the difference between any of ...!

PS, the SOMA's are gloss black as well, are the Fiberbow's more of a "Piano Black" which I believe would add to their dynamic stability in a cross-wind?

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
The FB S3 is stiffer than the CEX5 I have not hung weights on the end but using a similar force I can't bend the S3 even the 32" but the CEX5 does flex - not as much as the CEX2 though.
WhitehartFB, could be time to change this on your website then "SOMA Stabilisers New from Soma their range of stabilisers The longrod is probably the stiffest on the market SOMA STABILISERS Special" that comes up when you Google SOMA Stabilisers ...

(I note the "probably"!)

Whitehart

Cheers Worthipa :ashamed:, "Piano Black" TBH the Soma is a bit grey and the red is not to all tastes - I like that and there is no writing all over the S3 telling me what it is supposed to do.

Just checked and cannot see your order :)

If the Fiberbow S3 is "Piano black", does that make it easier to tune ? or will I have to have it re-tuned twice a year?:fita: And will it cause the bow to "rock'n'roll", or will it help with a "classical", form.:fita:

Sorry about the cheesy jokes...:fita3::fita2:

Quicks, and Perris, both have it advertised, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is in stock.

The best way to find out, is to phone them up.

OutPerformed

Has anyone got hands on Soma CEX5 longrod yet? Im still unable to find it on any online shop. Opinions about it? What is it like compared to CEX2? At first I was about to buy X10 rod, but found it weaker than my HMC rod though the compared X10 rod was 2" shorter.

Regius

I should have clarified the question. I wish to know which of these 2 rods is stiffer, and was hoping that someone with access to both rods (possibly in the archery trade) has tested the rods by maybe fixing one end into a vice and hanging a weight on the other end to determine the amount of flex, in each.

It's the method I would choose, but unfortunately I don't have access to both rods, and do not intend to purchase them both, just for the purpose of doing the test.

If I were to purchase the Soma CEX5, it would only be if it was proven to be stiffer than the Fiberbow S3.
Dear friends, even in this FiberBow Archery wants to be different from other manufacturers. We are not afraid to show the slow motion the reaction of our products and this is something that nobody has ever done so massively and with all the bow and brand.
I hope this will help the choice of archers, also I see that we are truly the only company to have no fear .... And we are not masochist :cheerful:

whiz

Is there any particular reason that you can describe WHY you aspire to have the stiffest commercially available stabiliser?

Big Dave

Is there any particular reason that you can describe WHY you aspire to have the stiffest commercially available stabiliser?
He has got a point there. what is the advantage? or are you falling victim to the sales blurb. :stirthepo:confused:

targetmiss

hmm..... i dont get it here. is the stiffness affecting the dampness of the rod?? if no why everyone keep finding a stiffer rod or he/she only love to use a stiffer rod?

how much is cex5 in market today compare to hmc? anyone got review on hmc ? i would like to hear it.