Some more advice needed

Jenny

I'm going to buy my bow on Wednesday, so I'm looking up some info about what bow I'll need.

I have about a 25.5" draw length and from a chart I found that recommends a 64" bow (just) so what I've been wondering...is my draw length likely to increase? because even if it was to increase by only an inch then the recommended bow would be 66". Should I be looking at getting a 66" bow rather than a 64"?

Thanks for any help!:)

~Jenny~

JohnK

If you go for a 66in bow with a 25in riser and short limbs, you'll have a wider choice of risers and may find the kit a little easier to sell on in the future. A 64" set up may be a little bit faster, but only a very small amount indeed. A comparable 66" set up with feel smoother to draw and shoot, and that's more important than a speed difference of .5 to 1fps.

Good luck. :)

GeoffT

Ironman
I agree with JohnK. Stick with the more common 66", or you may have difficulty getting rid when it is time to change.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
About the bow length, Jenny.
Recommended means that and no more. What has been said is sound advice. I would try both lengths because, the shorter the bow, the sharper the angle made by the string at full draw and greater the risk of pinching fingers. Even one inch extra in bow length can be felt on the fingers. two inches will be even more noticable. If your draw length increases for some reson, the angle will get sharper again and possibly add to a problem.
I am interested in why you think your draw length may increase. Are you still growing? Are you very new to archery or have you not found your correct draw length yet?
I've seen archers with incorrect draw lengths after 20 years in archery!! I am saddened by that sort of thing.
All the best
Geoff

Jenny

geoffretired said:
I am interested in why you think your draw length may increase. Are you still growing? Are you very new to archery or have you not found your correct draw length yet?
I have only done my beginner's course and no more archery since then, so yes I am new to archery, even though it was quite a while since I started :)

Thank you everybody for the good advice, I guess I'm definitely leaning towards the 66" now but should probably try both when I'm at the shop.

~Jenny~

R

rgsphoto

It is very likely you will increase your draw length if you are a beginner. The 66" will be fine and nicer to shoot too.

JohnK

geoffretired said:
I've seen archers with incorrect draw lengths after 20 years in archery!! I am saddened by that sort of thing.
Tell me about it. Until a few months ago I had 31" arrows. Some form corrections later, and now my draw length would exceed 32" by some margin if I was still using the same riser. As it is, the Helix grip is effectively set further away from the archer, reducing it to just under 32".

Woodie

Jenny have you discussed this with your club coach? Without seeing you it is very difficult to give firm advise especially for your first bow. My concern would be not so much the length of the bow but the pondage of the limbs. Too light and you will be needing new ones very soon too heavy and you could bring your archery carreer to an abrupt end.
As to what to buy. If you go for the cheaper end risers check the sideways movement of the limb in the pocket. We have had a couple of winstars recently that were just dreadfull. One was so bad that Simon Needham got quicks to exchange it for an agula. We always tell our begginners to come to us before they buy.

JohnK

I think this is so far off topic it's hilarious. Could a kind moderator separate out the less relevant posts? Ta. :)

Done :running:

Last edited by a moderator:

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Jenny - my draw length is 25.5" and I shoot with a 25" riser with 66" limbs.

It seems to work for me!! :beer: