Which string for all wood "hunter" style bow?

Jumile

Ironman
Hi all,

Ruth has very kindly given me a pre-loved 36lb 68" one-piece all wood "hunter" style recurve bow that I'm planning on using for barebow shooting, particularly field (thereby saving my beautiful Exfeel for more sterile conditions :D).

I was made aware recently that Fastflight may be the most common target recurve, but they may not be suitable for all types of bow. As I don't want to see this bow damaged... what string would be the recommendation for this kind of bow?

So... Fastflight, Dacron, something else? Why? Why not? :)

I know someone's going to suggest making my own, but that's something I'm leaving for a later date. ;)

JohnK

Probably dacron, unless you can get a recommendation from the original manufacturer as to which materials would be suitable. Some trad recurves are built to take being shot with other strings and even with carbons, but err on the side of caution.

Raedwald

Agree with John - go for Dacron.

I shoot a Martin X-200 (60" hunter), and the rocommendation is definitely Dacron for that, and others of a similar ilk.

This has something to do (or so I've been told) with the limbs, and the stresses they're put under by the different strings (especially at the tip of the limbs). Unless specifically designed to take it, anything other than Daceon will do damage.

So stick with Dacron - it works, it does the job - now, go get a dozen wooden arrows, fletched with 4" feathers, and get out in the woods! :cheerful: