String For Border Limbs

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
i got some border limbs and have been toying with the idea of using a different length string with them as i have heard other people mention it.

im using 70" limbs and have got a "standard" 70inch string from quicks.

now some people have said they have used different length strings because of the larger recurve on border limbs leaves a lot of string resting on the groove area near the limb ends - if this is the case would i need a shorter string than normal?

kinda confusing i appreciate but any info would be great
(johnk im guessing you may know?? :p )

cheers
AL

JohnK

A little :)

My Border XP10 Evolution limbs worked best with a bracing height of around 9 - 9 1/8in with Dynaflite 97 (14 or 16 strand), or 1/8in less with 8125 (16 or 18 strands).

If I put a string from my XP10s onto the TX40s, the bracing height comes up about 3/8in higher. However, I reckon the limbs will shoot better at a slightly lower height (although Sid Ball does say they should probably brace best a bit higher than XP10s).

Apparently the next generation Border limbs will again probably work better with a slightly lower brace height. I've yet to find out personally.

And I never pay any attention to the string grooves - waste of time in my opinion. Find the lowest height at which the bow is still quiet and go from there.

Hope this helps.

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
so string length dosnt really need to be altered then if im after a low bracing height, just take a few twists out?

cheers for the info as always john

al

JohnK

DMU_AC said:
so string length dosnt really need to be altered then if im after a low bracing height, just take a few twists out?
Um, depends. As I said, one string yields different bracing heights with the models. I think the best way to go is just suck it and see, and be prepared to make a different string if you have to.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. In the near future I might have some more data about the new Border limbs, which I will of course share (if permitted).
cheers for the info as always john

al
No problem :)

Last edited by a moderator: