String Twists.

Sponge

Fonz Awardee
Folks,

To try and set a consistant bracing height, I decided to choose a height and stick with with until I get good enought to properly tune it.

I choose 8 7/8" since it was about 5 twists from the natural string bracing height and I had been told that you should have a few turns on the string. Height measured from string to the middle of the button hole. 70" Winstar incase that makes any difference.

However, I have now been told that I shouldn't put turns on the string and should get a slightly shorter string instead if I want that bracing height.

Confused. I don't feel that I am good enough yet to tune the bow to ideal height so don't want to just start buying very slightly different length strings. As a beginner, are a few twists going to make a big difference?

Advice?

Sponge.

R

rgsphoto

Strings need to have twists in them! If too many twists are done you may end up with a string with bobbly lumps in it where the string is starting to Knot up, if that was the case, a shorter string would be a good idea. In your case 5 twists or so are fine. Twists give the string it's round profile, if it's not twisted it will be flat, and perform poorly. You can add lots before there is a problem.

Who ever gave you the advice, tell them to go boil their head:thumbsdow Better still ask them to explain why on here:devil:

wingate_52

Clockwise turns, I use 22 full turns to get my required bracing height. Are you using a bought string or one that has been made for you?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
It's already been said, you need twists. If there are twists, the string has a certain amount of spring which makes it kinder on the bow. The other thing is, with plenty of twists, when you do want to tune with the bracing height, you can go both ways. A string with no twists will be flat( rgsphoto has mentioned that) and it can only be shortened, so your range for experimenting is not so wide.

Sponge

Fonz Awardee
rgsphoto said:
Who ever gave you the advice, tell them to go boil their head:thumbsdow Better still ask them to explain why on here:devil:
As he is one of the club coaches, it makes sense to listen. Its only when I get conflicting information that I start to ask questions.

Thanks for the advice and confirming the thoughts of one of the other club coaches.

Sponge.

R

rgsphoto

Sponge said:
As he is one of the club coaches, it makes sense to listen. Its only when I get conflicting information that I start to ask questions.

Thanks for the advice and confirming the thoughts of one of the other club coaches.

Sponge.
A coach told you that? God help us all:(

greydog

Definately need twists in there, it spreads the forces at the end of the shot more evenly through the strands.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Two things strike me here. One is the coach wanting NO twists. That is so very unusual, in my experience. Are there other club members shooting with untwisted strings at your club,Sponge? Have they been given the same information? If not, could there have been a mis understanding somewhere?
Secondly, you say you only ask questions when you get conflicting answers. I appreciate your situation, but I would be asking questions no matter what;it's the way to get the best from the coaches. As a coach I always feel the students who ask questions are the ones who are more interested. I know that's a generalisation but, you know what I mean. I know it could sound as if you doubt the coach's word but the expression,"Tell me more." can be a great way to learn more and quietly test the water so to speak.

JohnK

rgsphoto said:
A coach told you that? God help us all:(
Far from the worst thing I've heard a coach say . . .

Sponge - 8 7/8in sounds a bit low for a 70in Winstar. You might want to try putting some more twists and try some higher bracing heights, say between 9 and 9 3/4in.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Sponge said:
For technical stuff, it's quite often a good idea to check out manufacturer websites as well. The Easton tuning guide, for example, says:
All bows are different, even ones of the same make and
model. Therefore, it is important to locate a brace height
that fits your particular bow and shooting style. Shoot a
few arrows at the suggested beginning brace height, then
unstring the bow, add 3-4 twists to the bowstring and
shoot again. Continue this process until the bow feels
smoothest and quietest when shooting.
If the bowstring is too short to allow a brace height at the
lower setting, you may wish to use a slightly longer string.
If the string is too long to allow a higher brace height (and
starts to knot-up from too many twists), you may wish to
try a slightly shorter bowstring.
Which is good enough advice... As a rule of thumb, I'd say a string needs more than 20 and less than 60 twists. Which leaves a fair amount of room to play with! YMMV.

Sponge

Fonz Awardee
geoffretired said:
Two things strike me here. One is the coach wanting NO twists. That is so very unusual, in my experience. Are there other club members shooting with untwisted strings at your club,Sponge? Have they been given the same information? If not, could there have been a mis understanding somewhere?
Secondly, you say you only ask questions when you get conflicting answers. I appreciate your situation, but I would be asking questions no matter what;it's the way to get the best from the coaches. As a coach I always feel the students who ask questions are the ones who are more interested. I know that's a generalisation but, you know what I mean. I know it could sound as if you doubt the coach's word but the expression,"Tell me more." can be a great way to learn more and quietly test the water so to speak.
Geoff, I should have made myself clear. I ask LOTs of questions. Its only when I get different answers do I start to ask questions on here.

I am lucky to be in a club with several coaches and lots of people who offer to help. As lots of threads show, you can get a big difference in opinion. Mostly, they agree, sometimes they don't.

This particual coach doesn't think that bare shaft tuning is worth the effort and uses other methods. Others think differently. When you are starting out, the issue is working out if to just listen to one or listen to many and try to sort out the differences.

As for the twists issue, the string isn't unwound and naturally hold turns (i.e. the strands all spiral, the wax holding the shape , not running straight up the string like I have seen). I was adding a few more to bring the height up when I was given the advice.

Sponge.

Sponge

Fonz Awardee
JohnK said:
Far from the worst thing I've heard a coach say . . .

Sponge - 8 7/8in sounds a bit low for a 70in Winstar. You might want to try putting some more twists and try some higher bracing heights, say between 9 and 9 3/4in.
OK, dumb question here. Am I measuring to the right place? Over 9" would be further than the KAP guide book, but if I rememeber correctly, it says measure the the balancing point?!?!? I have heard others say the lowest point on the handle. When I was first shown how to string a bow, I was shown measuring to the button hole. Are these all the same thing?

Rik: Thanks for the posting. One issue that I have, and other beginners may have, is what is a quiet sounding or smooth shooting bow? It doesn't sound that much different to others that I hear on the line, but wouldn't extra stabilisation or different limbs make all bows sound different? I have heard things that sound more "Boing" and others that sounds more "crack", but nothing alarming. The tuning methods also need you to be accurate enough to spot the differences.

Sponge.

R

rgsphoto

Sponge said:
OK, dumb question here. Am I measuring to the right place? Over 9" would be further than the KAP guide book, but if I rememeber correctly, it says measure the the balancing point?!?!? I have heard others say the lowest point on the handle. When I was first shown how to string a bow, I was shown measuring to the button hole. Are these all the same thing?

Rik: Thanks for the posting. One issue that I have, and other beginners may have, is what is a quiet sounding or smooth shooting bow? It doesn't sound that much different to others that I hear on the line, but wouldn't extra stabilisation or different limbs make all bows sound different? I have heard things that sound more "Boing" and others that sounds more "crack", but nothing alarming. The tuning methods also need you to be accurate enough to spot the differences.

Sponge.
The book will assume you measure to the throat of the handle. The bit where the web of your hand fits into.

morphymick

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
wingate_52 said:
Clockwise turns, I use 22 full turns to get my required bracing height. Are you using a bought string or one that has been made for you?
Twists should be in the same direction as the servings, helps to keep them tight.

One twist per 3" of string is a good starting point, as Rik says 20-60, gives plenty of room for manoeuvre on brace height change when you do the final tuning.

Strings will stretch slightly over time, so your 5 twists may turn into 10 after a few months.

Mick

Cakemeister

Fonz Awardee
What you also need to have is a method of storing the string so you know there are still the same number of twists in it when you next get it out of the bow. You could store it loose in your bowcase with the loops round the risers, or thread one loop inside the other, or make a cardboard 'cogwheel' to thread your string through.

Pete

tel

Fonz Awardee
One issue that I have, and other beginners may have, is what is a quiet sounding or smooth shooting bow? It doesn't sound that much different to others that I hear on the line
There are one or two archers at our club that, if I happen to end up shooting next to, I can almost identify by the sound of their bows! Daft sounding, I know - no rattle, vibration, or other unwanted nonsense - but an almost 'double bass' sound on the loose...wish I could get it!

Big Boy Blue

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Tel

I could not agree more, the first time I tried to find my optimum brace height I went through the whole range and the bow always sounded the same. From what I had read I thought it was going to be any easy thing to hear.

I have ended up having to use group size to find my best height.

Bald Eagle

You can! persevere with your bracing height trials along with tiller and you can tune your bow to perfection. Remember, tuning is what it says, the bow has to sound good, as well as shooting good.

JohnK

Sponge said:
Not a dumb question at all :)

There seem to be four main ways of measure bracing height:

1. To the belly of the bow - favoured by longbow archers.
2. To the centre of the rear button hole.
3. To the throat of the grip
4. To the back of the bow - used by Marksman.

2 and 3 are usually favoured by recurve shooters, and often produce more or less the same measurement because the grip throat is normally more or less under the rear button hole. However, on the Helix for example the grip throat is much further away from the archer than the centre of the button.

I favour 2 - it's the way I was shown and you can check your nocking point at the same time.

Thunk

Ironman
As has been said before - a sring needs twists. A good rule of thumb is one twist per three inches of string length; this enables the strands to bind together so that the string functions as a single entity. An untwisted string will 'balloon' as the tension is momentarily relieved at the point of release.

For further info see Murray's 'Archers Reference', link on the links directory page.
Oh heck, just go here.
If my memory is correct, the section on string length, bracing heights and twists etc is on page 13. But be warned; this is a 60 -70 page document, so you realy need abroadband connection to download it - or a lot of patience!

Last edited: