Stylist archery

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
yep!

if i remember correctly they used to have a really good equipment loan system so you could hire recurves off them and then if you deicded to buy it the cost was subtracted from the price of the bow. great idea i thought.

they also used to make awesome stabilisers.

Tarkwin

Prince Of Dorkness
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
One of the members at my club shoots one....

they also crop up quite regularly 2nd hand..

T.

LIzardEye

, In the White
I've been renting a Stylist bow for the last 4 months and its a fantastic way to get your hands on some quality kit. For ?3.50 a week you get pretty much everything you need bar the arrows.

The best bit is the limb exchange. You can swap the limbs for a higher poundage as many times as you like and all you pay is the postage cost. A great way for beginners to build up their weight without forking out for new limbs.

I wholeheartedly recomend them and their bows.

bluebow

Run by Steve Hallard, Bronze Olympic medalist at Barcelona '92. In fact when I shot on same target as him at Bronte FITA in 2003, he was still shooting a Stylist and putting in enviable scores. (He did win the tournament)

They are good bows and the rental scheme they run is a great way of newbies having access to high quality equipment. Best of all, as an archer develops and needs higher poundage they will exchange limbs during the rental period.

Unfortunately they don't take international (Hoyt) fit limbs, so do limit options further down the line if you purchase.

In fact Simon Terry (GBR) finished 4th at the European Indoors in Jaen this year shooting one.

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Steve Lingwood makes lovely bows. The only downside is they're not international fitting limbs. Or perhaps that's not such a downside... :)

I shot a stylist for a while... nice, light, straight, strong bow. Recommended!

JohnK

Steve Hallard is Steve Lingwood's son-in-law I believe, which explains that :)

I was surprised to see Simon Terry shooting a Stylist, but then I suppose on returning to the sport he wanted a bow he knew he could trust, and his performance has proved that his trust was well placed.

In my limited experience, the limbs are very stable and smooth enough, but rather slow. I reckon if Stylist didn't insist on making their risers with a Hoyt incompatible fitting you'd see a hell of a lot more of their risers across the shooting line. The Supreme is a great riser.

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
JohnK said:
limbs are very stable and smooth enough, but rather slow.
Yet fast enough to get me to 90m with 32# on my fingers shooting ACEs ;)
They may not be up to modern standards these days (G3s/Winex), but they're still good enough for most.

Frankly, I think the bolt-down limb system is still the best. I'm still waiting on someone to come up with a good clamp-down system for "ILF" limbs (perhaps based on the cycle-type quick release mechanisms) to eliminate potential sideways limb-tip movement.

JohnK

Murray said:
Yet fast enough to get me to 90m with 32# on my fingers shooting ACEs ;)
They may not be up to modern standards these days (G3s/Winex), but they're still good enough for most.
Oh yes, undoubtedly. I could get to 90m with 40lbs and 31in arrows, but I had to aim markedly higher than with my other bow :)

Frankly, I think the bolt-down limb system is still the best. I'm still waiting on someone to come up with a good clamp-down system for "ILF" limbs (perhaps based on the cycle-type quick release mechanisms) to eliminate potential sideways limb-tip movement.
I prefer not to have a clamp-down system. As long as the limbs and riser fit reasonably well (a bit of a gamble, I admit) then I reckon the Hoyt-limb fitting works fine.

Des

Supporter
Supporter
I went along to the SCAS indoor in Feb, and i was surprised how many stylist bows were there. Yeah Mr Simon Terry is shooting one and so is Mr Tom Firth....can't be bad!

Robin

Limb weights for Stylist

I shoot a Stylist and am very happy with it - shot a 561 Portsmoth with it in my second indoor season. If you are buying one second hand remember that the limb weight is measured at 28" from the button and the adjustment system reduces this weight by up to about 10% by way of packers being secured inside the limb pockets. So you may want to buy 'over weight' limbs to allow for adjustment. (As has been said - if you hire a new one you can exchange the limbs free of charge for the hire period)

Shannow

Stylist Sapphire

As stylist are local to me I went along and now have a stylist Sapphire which I find very comfortable to use and the loan/buy option is excellent. I can't compare to other makes as I'm new to all this but will say that Steve was very helpful and kitted me out appropriately and with no pressure. The fact I can upgrade limbs as I improve (I hope) is a huge bonus.

Well worth a look, in my humble opinion.

johnnyb

Stylist bows

I rented a stylist sapphire when I came back to the sport about 4years ago. I then moved 'up' to a supreme riser and have used this ever since. It is difficult for me to say whether they are as good as anything else as I have not shot any other bow! All I can say is that Steve Hallard is most helpful and the scheme is first rate; as others have said, you can upgrade limbs whenever you feel the need.

All I need to do now is learn how to use it!