Other Tiller bolt question

Yellowjedi

In the White
Supporter
Hoping someone out there can help me here.

At some point I need to change one the tiller bolts on my W&W RX Carbon X-Lite as I've managed to damage the bit where the allen key goes so I can no longer adjust it easily. I've found some replacements meant for W&W carbon risers but the diameter of the "mushroom" part of the bolt is a lot smaller than the one currently in situ. Can I use those or would a smaller mushroom (no idea what to call it!) damage the ends of the limbs in the sockets? The new bolts don't cover the whole of the limb width whereas the old ones do, pretty much.

Thanks!

YJ

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I have looked at pics of different tiller bolts. Could a washer be put under the smaller mushroom to give the same size of load spread over the whole limb width

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I was thinking about the other possible differences. If you compare the new bolts with the old ones, when the washer is placed under the mushroom, the number of threads screwed into the riser when fully wound down, could be fewer than without the washer. Or, that is a possibility, I can't say for certain as I can't compare the two without seeing them. So, for example, if you were using the lightest setting, you may have wound out 4 turns or whatever, but that might leave one fewer turn inside the riser with the washer taking up the equivalent of one turn.
It might be that the threaded part of the new ones is longer than the old ones, so no problems on that aspect.
The other thing, which you have probably thought about anyway, is the poundage produced with the washer fitted on new bolts. I suppose the thing to do is look to see how the butt ends of the limbs fit in comparison to the pockets, with both sets of bolts.

Yellowjedi

In the White
Supporter
Thank-you again. Whatever option I end up going for (washers on smaller bolt/no washers on bigger bolt if I can find one) I was planning to re-measure tiller, brace, poundage etc. As you say, it's likely that the presence of the washer itself would require an adjustment to the number of turns in order to maintain the status quo. It would be interesting to see just how much difference it makes (an experiment for a cold, dark, wet non-shooting day in the depths of February I think!).

Not sure if I love or hate the fact that in archery tiny adjustments are liable to produce non-proportionately large effects!