Tungsten points... Why?

FunTee

Can someone try to explain to me why Tungsten piles are an improvement over normal piles? I'm having problems seeing why they were even produced?

Piles/points are chosen primarly by weight, so any weight saving in the pile is irrelivant (apart from moving the weight centre further forward slightly). Strength isn't really a reason either, as if your hitting something hard enough to damage the pile, the chances are that your going to damage the shaft anyway.

So why have them?

Allvyn

I remember once seeing a post by GT that the tungsten points were only designed to improve the durability of the X10 shafts when shot into tough target materials "stramit" but this isn't foolproof and many have broken X10s even with tungsten points. Any effect the have on accuracy is minimal at least, Park Sung Hyun shot her 1405 Fita with Stainless steel points.

King Custard

Being denser they give the option of more flexible shaft behind the shorter point for a given arrow length - and less 'break off' length inside the arrow.
The long inserts to the stainless piles obviously stiffen up the front end of the arrow very considerably...

leaving the 110 grain 'part' on my s.s. breakoffs/inserts actually gives a stiffer reaction than chopping down to 100gn ( rather than the expected weaker reaction!) I think tungsten was a natural progression and solution to necessitating a thin pile extending a long way up the thin arrow.

But aint they Dear??? I'll admit to not having taken out a mortgage to try the tungstens! Personally i've found s.s. to be tough enough - just tonight I had to extricate one from a leg finding new sightmarks for 70 m with new fletches....not a mark on it!

Schme1440

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Tungstens rule. What no has mentioned yet is they were designed primerilly for COmpounds. The high speeds and hard bosses like strammit would cause the point to bend. If the ss points had been shorter this would of been less of an occurance but you would have lost weight if you shortened the ss point. Tungsten was obviously the strongest and desnsis material easton could find that could be made into a point.

Besides all the reasons they look cool and they rule!

Adam

I love my tungstens too. A few years back I broke four X10's during the course of one Fita round, shooting on straw bosses. They had steel points and all broke just behind the shank of the point. The steels points tend to flex and the shaft snaps. Doesn't happen with tungsten points.

Yes, there have been plenty of broken Pro Tours, but this has more to do with the arrow than the point.

Adam

Whitehart

less shaft for your money with ss

Just a thought, remember that the ss point sticking out from the shaft is longer than tungston so the shaft will be cut shorter. Not a problem in it's self but could be if you opt for ss and then decide to change later.

Allvyn

True that. It is definately worth the 100 quid if you can afford it but like 90% of archers out there I'd say stick to SS. :duck:

moo-mop

All I can say is I'm glad I did spend the money on the points as I am now convinced they were worth it in terms of saving the shafts (x10s) even with a recurve. I cannot afford new shafts as often as I would like and think you'd save more money be having them than not having them.

Last edited:

gtek

I have never favored the idea of having to explain to someone why excellence in performance of products (or in an activity, for that matter) is desirable.

My personal point of view is, either they understand, or they do not. If they do not, eventually, if they care enough about what they are doing, they will "get it". If they do not, that is their choice. I've never thought it was my place to convince them. That is a task for salesmen.

Some products exist for the people who know the difference. There is plenty of stuff available to satisfy those who do not.

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
I have never favored the idea of having to explain to someone why excellence in performance of products (or in an activity, for that matter) is desirable.

My personal point of view is, either they understand, or they do not. If they do not, eventually, if they care enough about what they are doing, they will "get it". If they do not, that is their choice.
You do realise this is an Archery Forum do you George? Its purpose is to disseminate information, promote the sport, provide information to enquirers, especially those just starting out in archery, and allow everyone the benefit of the collective experience

I've never thought it was my place to convince them. That is a task for salesmen.
Spoken like a true "Senior Recurve Engineer, Hoyt Inc."

FunTee

My personal point of view is, either they understand, or they do not. If they do not, eventually, if they care enough about what they are doing, they will "get it". If they do not, that is their choice. I've never thought it was my place to convince them. That is a task for salesmen.

Some products exist for the people who know the difference. There is plenty of stuff available to satisfy those who do not.
I'm going to hazzard a guess that your not a teacher or a coach then? ;)

Oh, and can you do something about these limb bolts please, someone else's snapped a couple of weeks ago at the county champs...

Flying Whale

I'm glad most people on thius forum don't seem to hold to views like this. It would be a pretty boring place.