Limbs Views on Hoyt 720 Grand Prix Limbs

PFC1968

There's not a lot to find with regard to reviews on the Hoyt 720 limbs (ILF), does anyone have any experience or views on them?

Darth Tom

They're a decent limb, good construction. Depends what you're looking for but I would typically recommend a good quality wood core limb like the 720 for intermediate level archers. People often buy foam core limbs because they can feel a bit smoother through the clicker, but wood core tends to have a little bit more release forgiveness.

JohnK

The reality is that the core material of the limb has no effect at all on the draw force curve. That's all down to the working part of the limb. So anyone who reports a synthetic core limb feeling different on the draw to a wood core limb is either reading in their own bias, or detecting small differences in the geometry of the limbs.

The core material affects the limb speed - lighter is faster - and possibly the susceptibility to temperature change. That's it really.

PFC1968

The reality is that the core material of the limb has no effect at all on the draw force curve. That's all down to the working part of the limb. So anyone who reports a synthetic core limb feeling different on the draw to a wood core limb is either reading in their own bias, or detecting small differences in the geometry of the limbs.

The core material affects the limb speed - lighter is faster - and possibly the susceptibility to temperature change. That's it really.
I went for the Border CV-W in the end John, I wasn't particularly looking for speed as I'll be shooting them indoors. Torsional stability, straightness and general build quality were my main requirements. In your experience does Wood core or Synthetic core have the best torsional stability?

Darth Tom

Back in the olden days it was felt that wood gave better torsional stability if all else was the same, but that was over a decade ago. I would imagine laminates have a much larger effect though.

JohnK

I'm *fairly* sure that torsional rigidity comes mostly from the laminates that provide the power (or poundage) of the limb, so the core would have little if any effect. Sid would know better.