W&W NS Limbs

aquatoo

Have any of you had experience of the new limbs from W&W? If so I would like your opinion of them as I am considering changing my Inno EXPower limbs. Mine are an early version of the EX and I find that they stack at the end of the draw quite markedly.

If you have tried the NS limbs which riser have you tried them in? I assume - perhaps incorrectly - that they might shoot best in the new TFT riser as, presumably, they were designed to go together.

Thanks

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
Sorry, no experience of the new W&W limbs. I too would be interested: I held & drew their new riser & limbs and they felt delightful....
But I'm surprised you're finding there Ex-Power limbs stack. Mine don't (so far as I can tell) - and their DFCs (attached) don't show stacking out to my draw length. (Med limbs, med riser).

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, no experience of the new W&W limbs. I too would be interested: I held & drew their new riser & limbs and they felt delightful....
But I'm surprised you're finding there Ex-Power limbs stack. Mine don't (so far as I can tell) - and their DFCs (attached) don't show stacking out to my draw length. (Med limbs, med riser).

Attachments

aquatoo

Well it is possible that its just me, but that is my impression. I have a set of SF limbs that when set at the same poundage don't display a stack at all. However they aren't nearly as quick as the EXs.
I originally had a set of the even earlier version and they were fine. Unfortunately one got damaged and the replacement set were never the same. It may not have helped that I used to leave the bow strung for long periods in the, perhaps, mistaken belief that it shouldn't matter as they weren't wood.

EVC

IMO stacking is overrated.

It is not a wall like compound as shown in several graphs you may find in old threads, particularly in Border forum. Even cheap KAP limbs DFCs show only a slight increase in poundage rate at higher DLs. If you do the math we are talking of about 0.25lbs or so of difference between "smooth" and "stacking" limbs when one is with 40+ lbs on the fingers at those last 1/4" through the clicker. If that makes such a difference, I would not look at the limbs to find a solution. ;)

IMO it is a perception matter. It might make a significant difference for some people as the feeling to reach full draw is different between two limbs with different DFCs. I believe many people that think or feel they are strugling with stacking are really strugling with themselves in those few last mm before the clicker drops. Some sort of clicker anxiety for instance.

That is not to say you shouldn't buy new limbs if you want to but your expectation may not be met if the root cause is other than stacking.

XoSo

Off topic so apologies but what is stacking, and what do you experience when it happens?

- - - Updated - - -

Off topic so apologies but what is stacking, and what do you experience when it happens?

Edited to say, have now read definitions and sort of understand. Would it be fair to say stacking only becomes a problem when overdrawing beyond 28"

Valkamai

- - - Updated - - -

Edited to say, have now read definitions and sort of understand. Would it be fair to say stacking only becomes a problem when overdrawing beyond 28"
Not always depends on the limb. Some limbs start to stack at a shorter draw then 28. Other limbs will be smooth beyond that. I would define stack as an increase in poundage gain per inch at the end of a limbs working range. There are limbs which actually have a smaller increase in poundage at the specified draw length than at the ready of the draw. I have even seen figures from one manufacturer with a prototype limb that actually has a very slight let off over the 26-28" range.

adrianms

I'm drawing 30.5" thru the clicker on a 70" bow. I'm onto my 3rd set of limbs (Kaya K1 32lb, SF Elite high foam carbon 36lb & SF carbon kevlar Ultimate 36lb) all of which have suffered with a little stacking-but not really been a real problem for me as I probably could go up a couple of lbs on the limbs no problem if I wanted to, but hitting 100yds with no problem.
My question is I'm looking at either the Wia-wis,NS or Uukha limbs & I'm looking for a smooth draw all the way through the process. Is this even going to happen because of my draw length or will I always experience that last little tightening up just as I'm coming thru the clicker simply because all limbs are designed for people with "average" draw of 28" & spending ?500-600+ isn't going to get me a "smooth" bow I desire?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm drawing 30.5" thru the clicker on a 70" bow. I'm onto my 3rd set of limbs (Kaya K1 32lb, SF Elite high foam carbon 36lb & SF carbon kevlar Ultimate 36lb) all of which have suffered with a little stacking-but not really been a real problem for me as I probably could go up a couple of lbs on the limbs no problem if I wanted to, but hitting 100yds with no problem.
My question is I'm looking at either the Wia-wis,NS or Uukha limbs & I'm looking for a smooth draw all the way through the process. Is this even going to happen because of my draw length or will I always experience that last little tightening up just as I'm coming thru the clicker simply because all limbs are designed for people with "average" draw of 28" & spending ?500-600+ isn't going to get me a "smooth" bow I desire?

Whitehart

After a certain length of draw Stacking is when for every inch drawn back the increase of weight on the fingers is not proportional 2-3lb rather than 1-2 lbs. Stacking is not really an issue with modern limbs, most confuse stacking and the increase in draw weight on the fingers which is normal - the more you pull the limbs back the heavier they get. Some limb manufactures make smooth limbs well past the working range, others design a bit more resistance around the top end of the working range of the limb as some top archers feel that this gives them more control (Hoyt g3's and W&W NS foam spring to mind) through the clicker but if you look at the draw force curves none of it can be described as stacking.

- - - Updated - - -

After a certain length of draw Stacking is when for every inch drawn back the increase of weight on the fingers is not proportional 2-3lb rather than 1-2 lbs. Stacking is not really an issue with modern limbs, most confuse stacking and the increase in draw weight on the fingers which is normal - the more you pull the limbs back the heavier they get. Some limb manufactures make smooth limbs well past the working range, others design a bit more resistance around the top end of the working range of the limb as some top archers feel that this gives them more control (Hoyt g3's and W&W NS foam spring to mind) through the clicker but if you look at the draw force curves none of it can be described as stacking.

Valkamai

- - - Updated - - -

The answer might be to look at another manufacturer. Border and kg archery both have the reputation of producing smooth limbs. They are smaller bowyers not production lines and may well be able to produce a limb where the "peak" would be at a longer draw length.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

JohnK

Hello. Long draw archer here (32in) with some experience in these matters.

I have tried a few limbs that stack, and I don't like the feeling. I know some people say they like something to "pull against", but to me that makes no sense. Personal taste.

Anyway, I've generally found W&W limbs to have a little trace of stack towards the back end; not horribly so, but just a little so you'd notice. I did feel this on the NS limbs I drew.

I've drawn a few Uukha limbs and while they're smooth enough, I certainly don't think they felt especially so. I've shot budget Samicks that felt similar, if I'm honest.

I shoot Border limbs. Presently, I'm shooting with CV limbs, which don't have the super-recurve shape but are nonetheless nice and smooth. They don't have the dramatic climb in weight to the mid point and then the decrease to less than a 1lb per inch at full draw of a HEX7 or 7.5, but they are nonetheless very nice to shoot.

I have no experience with KG limbs, I'm afraid. Maybe someone else can help you there.

I will say that after a few ends, I get used to whatever I'm shooting. Just as long as a limb doesn't stack horribly, that's fine for me. I do enjoy the feel of a HEX limb on the shot, but at present I'm not quite strong enough to shoot my set.

Happy shopping and happy shooting :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hello. Long draw archer here (32in) with some experience in these matters.

I have tried a few limbs that stack, and I don't like the feeling. I know some people say they like something to "pull against", but to me that makes no sense. Personal taste.

Anyway, I've generally found W&W limbs to have a little trace of stack towards the back end; not horribly so, but just a little so you'd notice. I did feel this on the NS limbs I drew.

I've drawn a few Uukha limbs and while they're smooth enough, I certainly don't think they felt especially so. I've shot budget Samicks that felt similar, if I'm honest.

I shoot Border limbs. Presently, I'm shooting with CV limbs, which don't have the super-recurve shape but are nonetheless nice and smooth. They don't have the dramatic climb in weight to the mid point and then the decrease to less than a 1lb per inch at full draw of a HEX7 or 7.5, but they are nonetheless very nice to shoot.

I have no experience with KG limbs, I'm afraid. Maybe someone else can help you there.

I will say that after a few ends, I get used to whatever I'm shooting. Just as long as a limb doesn't stack horribly, that's fine for me. I do enjoy the feel of a HEX limb on the shot, but at present I'm not quite strong enough to shoot my set.

Happy shopping and happy shooting :)