What to get for outdoor

hyakuhei

Hi all,

I shoot for my university club and we have our first outdoor competition coming up. I have only been shooting for a year and never had any coaching so if I get somethings wrong please understand.

(For reference my current pb for portsmouth is 509, though im still improving)

Right, now I currently have:
Samick Agulla
Samick Universall Limbs, 36lb 30" draw
Cartel-K Sight

Ok, so im coming into some money soon (around ?150) and I want to invest in a little equipment. Im thinking mainly about my sight, Im not a big fan of the K sight because of its analogue adjustment. With this competition coming up I was wondering if you guys think it would be worth me investing in a decent "click" sight.

The reason that I thought the click sight might be good is because I will be changing distances alot during the competition so I need something that can reliably set between sight marks.

(I had something like the SX10 in mind)

Any Ideas or questions would be welcome.

Cheers
-Rob

LineCutter

Imho

You've not mentioned arrows or stabilisers. As long as your sight doesn't fall off & stays where it's put you'd probably be better off with some carbon arrows & a cheap long rod.

Ironically, the further away the target the more you need the sight to be reliable in order to hit it, while at the same time you need the arrow speed to get the arrow there without aiming at the clouds.

Longrod: ?25
ACCs (8): ?85
Sight (or here): ? pretty much as much as you like.

Expect varying levels of agreement from the others hereabouts. :)

Des

Supporter
Supporter
With 36lb limbs and a 30'' draw you could actually be pulling nearly 40lbs! :boggled:
This is quite a weight for someone who has only been shooting for a year and who hasn't had any coaching.

How long have you been shooting your samick?

wingate_52

I would upgrade the arrows first. I recommend Easton Navigators. A sight recticule that suits you then a longrod. I have an Arc SX10 and it is good. One side has graduations the other is white and I mark it with my sightmarks in both metric (red) and imperial (black) for quick reference.
You shoot arrows, they have to be decent. You have to be able to frame the target a round recticule does this and a long rod gives you stability.
Remember people shoot barebow, so all you really need are arrows.

Sponge

Fonz Awardee
Des said:
With 36lb limbs and a 30'' draw you could actually be pulling nearly 40lbs! :boggled:
This is quite a weight for someone who has only been shooting for a year and who hasn't had any coaching.
QUOTE]

I was shooting 41lbs after 3 weeks of shooting and coaching. OK, I admit I am a bit on the big side, but its not that odd.

Rob:

What distance are you looking at shooting? If you are only aiming at 50m or 60 yards, you will probably find that any Ali arrow will get you that far. You want 70m+ then you will need the better speed and lower cross section from better arrows.

You may find that your region runs training courses. That may be a beter investment of 20 or 30 quid than a long rod at this moment in time. Improved style may mean that you can hit the boss better. Remember that even if you can shoot 90m distance, you still need to be accuarate on the horizontal as well to make it worth the effort. My set-up (not that different from yours) will hit 70m distance, its just the bloke pulling the bow has a problem making them hit the middle (or the boss at all).

Sponge.

Des

Supporter
Supporter
I'm just a believer in building up gradually. To many archers over bow themselves to early and end up spending months getting used to the weight, and then trying to correct their form afterwards. Including myself.

Adam

Personally, I'd spend some money on a bivvy. You'll need somewhere to get out of the rain and keep your kit dry. Few things are worse for the enthusiasm than a cold, wet day's shooting.

Adam

hyakuhei

Thanks for all the replies guys,

To clarify, im shooting ACC's (god bless ebay!)

To be honest im not a fan of stabalisers, I see far too many incompetant archers using them.

I know what you mean about the draw weight, that said, im a strong lad :) and I have been a personal trainer for a number of years so I know how to keep an eye on form whilst under load :D

At the moment im continuing to set a new personal best at each comp, so untill I start stonewalling I think im going to avoid the long rods.

My main issue with the site is that at the comps im looking at attending i will be changing distance alot and having to adjust. I was wondering if you guys thought its worth using a better sight if it is going to be adjusted often?

Thanks Again
Rob

R

rgsphoto

hyakuhei said:
I was wondering if you guys thought its worth using a better sight if it is going to be adjusted often?

Thanks Again
Rob
In that case...yes it is. Are you shooting field etc?

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
hyakuhei said:
To clarify, im shooting ACC's (god bless ebay!)
Hopefully you'll get the distance with those. if not, your cash MAY have to go on arrows.

hyakuhei said:
To be honest im not a fan of stabalisers, I see far too many incompetant archers using them.
You're not doing yourself any favours, but that's your choice. The agulla was designed to be shot with at least a longrod. There's a big difference between indoor shooting and outdoor - it really is a very different game, and using a stabiliser has advantages.

hyakuhei said:
My main issue with the site is that at the comps im looking at attending i will be changing distance alot and having to adjust. I was wondering if you guys thought its worth using a better sight if it is going to be adjusted often?
A sight needs to have two features:
1. be able to change it quickly when you need to
2. be able to stay where you put it when you want it to.
If your current sight fulfills those requirements, then it's good enough IMO.

hyakuhei

Yeah, I do indoor and outdoor, at the moment as summer is coming it looks like things will be tilting towards outdoor for a while :D

Shirt

hyakuhei said:
And an even bigger number of astonishingly good people use them as well... wonder which school of thought is right?

hyakuhei

"Good Kit does not make a good archer"

Il use them when I feel that I have no more room for improvement.

At the moment I dont shoot fantastic scores, but im improving at every competition. When I get a solid technique, i.e my scores stop going up, I may look into stabilisers.

There are far too many archers who shoot badly and go out and buy as much tackle as they can. They still shoot badly.

I know eventually I will need stabilisers to shoot the scores I want to get in competitions by that point I should have roped in a coach aswell.

Thanks for the advice
-Rob

Davros

New sight OK but...

I had a Shibuya sight for 8 years.. v. good. But I wonder, without coaching ...? Your poundage is high as already mentioned, also, if you are pulling 30 inches your bow length should be 68 - 70 inches otherwise it "stacks". My advice, find a club- get some experienced advice before you spend any more cash.

SLOWHAND

In three years of shooting tournaments I have never seen a competive recurve (not barebow) target archer shoot without stabilisers. I think line cutter got it absolutely right.
Somebody once asked an American bow manufacturer what kit he would buy in the mid price range, his reply was the best arrows he could afford and the remainder on the rest.

Barry C

hyakuhei said:
"Good Kit does not make a good archer"
Bad kit or missing kit will make you worse. Seriously at least a long rod will make a massive difference for you, even the most incompetatent archer would benefitfrom using one. In this case I think you could buy some points in this area.

Your score isnt bad for a new archery, stabilisers are essential equipment for good scores.

You should be able to pick up a second hand arten for a tenner. Can you borrow a friends for a few sessions, once you are used to it im sure you wouldnt go back. It will help you with consistant aiming, so even if you do improve your form if its aimed in the 9 or 8 it will go there. This will be magnified terribly shooting outdoors and especially if its a little breezy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cakemeister

Fonz Awardee
I don't think a long rod is an option with recurve- it's a requirement. V- bars are much more debatable but the whole balance of your shot needs a longrod to counteract the movement of the bow.

Pete

jerryRTD

If the competition is close then I would go for a reliable sight. find one you are happy with at the right price.At your stage of development I think it will be a long time before you 'stone wall'. during that time you would have been able to progress much further if you had good kit on the bow. A long rod will enable you to adopt a superior technique. Used in conjunction with a finger sling it will enable you to give the bow a more stable platform from which to launch an arrow( the front hand). The function of a long rod is to balance and stabalise the bow the. If the competition is a fair time away then chat to an experienced archer at you club and ask about long rods TFCs and finger slings. See if you can borrow a long rod to try it and give it a fair cance.

Random_guy

I've been shooting since october and I started using a long rod fairly early on, and when i put it on, i couldn't tell the difference between shooting with one and shooting without. However, after a couple of sessions, someone else wanted to try the longrod i was using, so i took it off, and suddenly i couldn't shoot for toffee! It really does make a difference. I don't use the rest of the stablisers yet, as there is much more in my technique that i would like to improve on first, before adding more weight to the front of the bow, but i did notice my groups becoming alot more consistant after i learnt to not grip the bow with my front hand, but to do this effectively you need a fingersling and a longrod, and that's just one of the reasons to get one. I also know what you mean about the sight, the club one i started on was rubbish, moved between shots etc, so i bought the sx-10 the same time as i got the rest of my kit. again it made a difference, but if you swapped it for a cartel sight now, i think it would make less of a difference than if you took my long rod away.