What's in the box?

Furface

Supporter
Recurve archer, competent (!) going to tournaments. What should he carry in his spares box? And what in his tool box? How many arrows? Extra set of stabilisers? What needs to be "shot in" and what doesn't? Assume a family saloon with two archers!

sky_high30

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
How much money do you have/how seriously do you take it!? I'm sure there's people that have completely identical setups...

Personally, enough fletched arrows to have at least 2 spare, spare string, few knocks for immediate repairs, serving string for bodging nocking points back on. Tool box has a gorilla grip of alen keys, philips and flat screw driver (Assorted sizes - smaller rather than larger) and a pen knife (For digging longbow points out of bosses). I've not needed much more...anything else can usually be blagged.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
spares

You have guessed most of the stuff you need already.
Looking at this another way may be useful for others too.
Imagine what could go wrong.
Can you repair that or do you need a replacement?
If you repair it, have you the tools and the time?

One other piece of advice would be to include a spare string that is already shot in; a new one is too unpredictable.
A spare arrow rest if you use anything delicate like the plastic Hoyt.
A spare tab, already shot in; a new one is just too different from a used one.
All the best
Geoff

avalon

2 strings, 2 tabs, both shot in.
Lighter, superglue, allen keys, pack of fletchings, enough nocks, of a different colour, to change whole set (in case someone else on target has same setup!), spare nocks, screw driver, swiss army knife (or similar)
Spare button tip, spare sling (I guess that depends on what type you're using)

?Possibly a spare sight pin... I did have one shear off once, whilst I was altering it (and I wasn't being particularly heavy-handed)

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
Merlin83b said:
Why a lighter? :boggled:
If you're using dental floss for your nocking points you run a flame over them to help it bond to your string (or something like that).

wingate_52

Spare string, nocks, thread for nocking points, lighter, allen keys and screwdriver, leatherman tool, spare arrows,arrowrest and button, spare tab,chocolate bars and water.

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
If you shoot with glasses, a spectacles repair kit is a must-have -- surprising how few people carry them.

Judge

You're not going to like this one....

If you get into head to head competitions in a serious manner then a complete spare bow should be handy. In head to head finals (quarter, semi and gold and bronze matches) competitors do not get any time for equipment failure, and as you are only going to shoot a dozen arrows, you have to be ready with a spare bow. This is no joke, I know a married couple of good compound archers who attend tournaments with a minimum of 4 bows between them, shot and tuned, ready to go in the event of equipment failure!

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I just need another set of G3's to have a double set-up. As for what I carry on a normal day..pretty much what others have said - anything missing, womble will have!! :beer:

D

Deleted member 74

A spare string or two, nocks, spinwings, two extra buttons (one the same as what I am shooting and one to go with my other set of limbs/arrows), alan keys, backup sight, a dozen ready-to-shoot arrows, extra tab, glues, arrow pullers, the list goes on and on. Most importantly, I never, ever forget my spare beanie! :D :D

morphymick

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Spare bow, not the same type, but can make a combination of 68", 66" and 64". Spare strings for all 3 combinations, tab.

Tool box - Hoyt super rest (for emergencies and when Tinkerbell breaks hers'), fletchings (vanes & spinwings) and jig, nocks, loads of ACC's; nocking points and pliers, screwdrivers, allen keys, pen knife, scissors, lighter (for cigars), 3 spools of fastflyte (red, white and blue), serving and Beiter serving jig, dental floss (minty), arrowmate and AAE gel, 5/16" thread insert kit (you never know).

Though I have been known to forget my arrows.

Mick

top archers use dental floss.....sometimes some of it gets put in their mouth.
i melt it with a lighter aswell but not when the string is on the bow (at least not in public anyway!).

i go with the economy/not much stuff box.
i have a copycat leatherman pliers and knify tool thing with its own allan keys.
bowsquare/height gauge
spare arrow rest
dental floss

our equipment guy takes fletching gear and glue.

i also take along any old stuff i have lying around and try to flog it to novice archers from other clubs.