Wrist and bow slings

andyste1

I (very) briefly tried a shoelace-style finger sling for the first time yesterday, but found it a bit awkward and fiddly, resulting in a panicked moment where I couldn't loosen it to get my finger out! Fortunately I did manage it, sparing the embarrassment of having to ask for scissors to release me from my bow!

I was thinking of trying a bow/wrist sling, and most that I've seen (e.g. Hoyt & Easton) are like a "bracelet" with a hole for attaching to the bow's stabilizer. Are these suitable for recurves or should I instead be looking at one of those strappy contraptions that go around the wrist and between the fingers? Still a little new to all this! My grouping can be rather inconsistent and I suspect much of it is down to gripping the bow a little to much.

carl7

Like most things, especially archery, you have to work with a Korean finger sling for a good while before your well used to it (very briefly doesn't cut it) wrist type slings IMO has too much give, resulting in a not so great or unsure rollover followthrough. I assume your talking about Oly recurve.

Phil Reay

archery, like most things, can be very personal. I tried a finger sling (for quite a while) but could not get comfortable with it. mind you, it came in handy for hanging my walking stick on my quiver. Something else i'm not keen on is the wrist strap that fits on the longrod fitting. they are virtually impossible to adjust correctly so you get the right tightness or feel although a lot of people use them. I used a wrist strap for years, the sort that goes between the fingers. Adjustable, totally. comfortable, definitely. they hold the bow up on release without getting in the way and they are easy to get off. mine was actually home made out of cord and a bent nail so it was made to the correct size.
Good luck on your selection

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
I make my own wrist slings and customise the length - too tight and the bow is clamped to your wrist and too loose you're not confident it'll catch the bow. you can braid them from old bow string material and a clip from a handbag or dog lead type clip.

Most archers seem to prefer the finger sling and if you're not getting on with the shoe lace you can try the cord type - they can be customised to length as they loose ends get melted together.

As others have said give them a good trial and understand the variances of each

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I started with a sling on the bow handle, moved on to a few different types of wrist sling, but hit the problem that the ones I liked seemed to go out of production...
So I moved on to a boot lace finger sling. It was okay for a while, but the attachment to my thumb bothered me.
So.., latest iteration is a hybrid wrist/finger sling (loop round the wrist and onto a finger). First version was still a boot lace. Current version is braided out of cord.
It's working nicely at the moment.

<edit> added picture
IMG_20150201_162603.jpg

chuffalump

I only use a bow sling. I fitted a quick release for the stabs so the sling is permanently attached to the riser. Don't miss the fiddle of fingersling attachment and removal. My hand feels much freer and I've never dropped the bow. Dropped several snake bows at have-a-goes though, which goes to show that a) I'm not gripping and b) the sling is working.

ThomVis

Bow sling work ok for bow that have no stabilizers attached or are balanced neutral (don't roll forward). But for most Olympic recurves a wrist sling or finger sling is preferred.
I've made a new video a while back addressing the "quick release" issue with the finger sling. It also show the right orientation of the cow hitch knots, if you made them up-side-down, the knot has a tendency to work loose.
[video=youtube;76EtIaX-J8k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76EtIaX-J8k[/video]

joetapley

My opinions:

Wrist sling attached to riser:
+ can't lose the sling
- have feeling the bow can escape (if rigid loop)
- possibility that archer affects riser via wrist/arm movement

Wrist sling attached to wrist:
+ can't lose the sling
- can have feeling of lack of control as bow swings post shot (loop slides down riser)

Finger Sling:
+ no interference with riser
- sling easily forgotten/dropped, fiddly to put on
- feeling of insecurity often leads to tensed fingers

Tried all three. Prefer simple wrist sling.

JohnK

Like Joe, I tried all three. I was persuaded of the benefits of the finger sling and shot with one for several years. Then I had two incidents of the sling popping off my thumb, resulting in one stabiliser and one extender being ruined. So I've gone back to the wrist sling :)

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Some bow slings are fitted to the bow by the long rod bolt. That is quite low down and can give the bow a top heavy feel when it is shot.
Wrist slings are generally comfortable, adjustable and easy to put on /take off.
Finger slings can be simple or a fiddle. I can't see the point in keeping the fiddly types. They can be very comfortable, but the bow jumping onto the sling can cause bones in the hand to complain.

ThomVis

On forward balanced Olympic recurves fitted with bow slings, just extend your follow through to 5 seconds and don't grip the bow. Please post video here.