Alphashox

P

pyroarch57

Just lately the `AlphaShox` dampers on my Ultratec have started to migrate to various areas on the limbs, my first thought was maybe the cam timing was off, but that checked out ok.
Tonight i took one of them off and found that where the rubber contacts the inner side of the limbs it was all chewed up from the constant flexing and so they are losing their grip. They`ve only been on there a year, i expected them to last a bit longer than that :sour: Has anyone else had the same problem?

jadlem

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I went through two sets in 6 months (I shoot 4 times a week) Gave up after the second set and went back to the mushroom style that screws on.

I was shooting in the Beds vs. Cambs match the other day and someone else was complaining of the same problem.

Suffice to say, I now shoot a mathews and don't need limb shocks.

pwiles1968

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Mine are pretty chewed up, but the bow is about 3 years old, I find that they both migrate Upwards, maybe they are anti gravity shox :).

I don't find it much of an issue, I can do a round without having to move them, I just move them before I shoot if they are out and forget about them.

P

pyroarch57

Jad, i did exactly the same thing, went back to my old trusted Simms screw ons.

How do you find your new Switchback? I`ve been thinking of changing too, but after reading many posts on the forums i am a bit reluctant, as it is primarily a hunting bow and i feel it might not be as forgiving as my Ultratec.

Marcus26

On my Hoyt's I removed the limbsavers and shot without them. Ay movement or breakage in that style of vibration dampner will affect your groups. Best off not using them for target.

The Switachback is an excellent bow and will shoot as well or better than your Ultratec.

P

pyroarch57

I`ve tried shooting without limbsavers but i don`t like the sound and feel of the vibration. Incidentally, anyone wondering why the "AlphaShox" rubbers break down should take a look at the video of them in use on the Hoyt website.

Marcus26

You getuse to it very quickly. IMHO too many people sacrifice reliability and accuracy for sound and feel.

jadlem

Pyro at the risk of going off topic it's great! Had a go with my wifes hoyt after a week or two of getting the switchback, don't think I'd ever shoot anything but a parallel limb bow now.

There are so many good innovations in the Mathews, the roller cable guard, harmonic dampers built in to the riser, string stops on the limbs, the list goes on...

Have a go with one.

Marcus26

string stops on the limbs
These things are terrible. Fine for hunters but target shooters shouldn't use them.
You can get uneven wear on them which will move your groups around.
I did a quick survey of Mathews bows at the world target last year and only one shooter had them in. The rest either shot Mathews bows without the brackets or removed the rubbers.
Chris White has a Switchback without the brackets and one with the brackets but with the rubbers removed.

CPlater1

I don't have any limbsavers on my Ultramag. They were not put on the limbs when I had the bow made up, and I don't want to use them. My bow shoots very nicely without them, and I have noticed no vibration. I don't care about the (slightly) higher level of noise shooting without them than with, as my last bow was extremely noisy, and it doesn't matter to me if my bow is a bit louder than everyone elses, the targets I shoot at don't move out of the way with noise.

Chris