archery research 2005

wim

i have found a pic of one new model from archery research !! i wonder if they are smart enough to make the same bow but in a length suitable for target archery !!

Marcus26

What's a length suitable for target archery? 34" is more than sufficient for target, and in fact is very nice to shoot.
At our club we shoot Vegas rounds indoor (30 arrows, outter 10, 40cm face 18m) and in the last year the 33"-35" bow shooters have shot ALL the 300's shot. Including
James Park: back to back 300's with AR34 Blade
Myself: 300 21" with Allegiance and 300 20x with Mathews LX (6.75" brace height) shot 299 26x a few weeks ago
Alan Williamson: 50+ archer shot 599/600 for a double round with Allegiance
Erika Anear shot 300 with Allegiance
Leigh Cornish 300 with Allegiance

Our state's top Male and top Female archers use 34" bows (PSE Scorpion and Bowtech Allegiance)
Country's top Cadet archer uses an AR34 Blade

In fact at FITA comps the 38"+ bows are starting to disappear around our way. All the above archers changed from 38-41" bows to the much shorter ones and have shot higher more consistant scores since.

wim

is james park in the same club as you hmmm that sounds great to have a topshooter in the club !!!

Marcus26

Yeah we have
James Park
Leigh Cornish: 2nd at world FITA Field championships
David Anear: 1976 Olympics
Erika Anear: National Target and Indoor champion compound
Sten Nigol: Austalian Cadet champ and record holder
Jessica Walters: Australian Jr Recurve champ
Nicole Pless: Won UK Jrs 2 years ago
Marcus Anear: 2 time World IFAA MJFU Indoor Postal winner
Jason Goss: World Field Champs rep
Alan Williamson: 3rd World Masters Games indoor

All have represented Australia at some point.

Makes our club championships tough to win. (and all the compounders listed use 34" bows)

wim

the apex 7 is it the same price as the normal apex ?
the normal apex was rather exspencive against other bows !!

Marcus26

The key is to ask why would it be more forgiving? What is the mechanism involved to produce this forgiveness?
If you can answer those then you can find the bow that is actually more forgiving.

It could be stability. A longer bow is more stable right? But why is that? We don't worry about stacking limbs or finger pinch so that's not an issue anymore.

A longer bow allows for smaller wheels which are easier to time, but with single cam and binary cams we don't need timing so that's not a factor.

So the 2 key factors to 'forgiveness' are removed with modern compound bows, which means that the 34" bows will be as forgiving as their longer cousins.

I think most people would benifit from a 34" bow due to the lighter weight and better string angles.

wim

is it a big difference the string angel with a short bow against a longer bow ?
the peep will be further away from your face with a short bow it will an difficult adjustment i think!!

Marcus26

It is further away, but I have not had a problem with that. I use a Super Peep and simply changed the size to suit.
It took me a few days to get use to the Switchback and when I went back to my Ovation I hated the string being so close to my face. Having the string off your face is actually really comfortable to use.

jadlem

short compounds

Both myself and my wife have short axle to axle bows. They seem to be a little more critical and require better habits to shoot well. I rather like their portability as well.

Had short axle to axle bows with short brace height recommended by Michael Peart. Don't think I'd shoot anything over 35" unless it was really special.

Adam

I think the only issue with short axel bows is the string angle at longer draw lengths. As I have arms like a gorilla and a draw length over 30 inches I find it near impossible to get the string in contact with my face - not everyone likes to do so, but I find it helps me, so I'm sticking with my Ultratech/XT2000 for now.

Adam