Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arrow spine

rgsphoto

Arrow spine

Hello all,

I'm a new member and hope you lot out there can help me with the selection of some new arrows for next season. I shoot a rather unconventional Bowman Accu-Riser. It has a 3" over draw thus letting me shoot very short 25" arrows. The bow is set to 56lb

I used 3L-18 ACC's last season with very respectable results. However I feel I am at a level where an arrow change may gain me a few extra points. I can't part with near 400 for X10's and I'm not convinced they are worth it anyway. So it's down to ACE's or Navigators. I tend to feel the Navigator is the better arrow for my needs. BUT what spine? the 3L-18 groups very well and is rated as a 620, so do I buy 610 Navs or go up a spine as the charts recomendst and buy 540's? Or do I stick with my trusty ACC's. 610's would end up very light at about 280gn, the 540 would be about 20gn heavier.

Any input on what you consider my ideal arrow to be would be much appreciated.

Regards

Rich

Thanks
    I can get the easton software to recommend anything from your 3L-18s up to 480 Navs, depending on how hard or soft you decide the cam is... My understanding is that the spine isn't terribly critical on compounds (though, I don't shoot it much so take the advice of more experienced people over me).

I wouldn't call 280gn on a 25 inch shaft "light". It's about the weight of the 26ish inch X10s I used to shoot from my recurve...

Looking at the paper charts, it doesn't look like a 610 would be wrong... What weight point would you be putting in it? If you want a decent weight of point (say 120gn) you might want to go to the 540s...

In the Gold I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.
    Thanks
    Oranges are not the only fruit

Or to put it differently Easton are not the only arrow.

I have tried X10s Aces and Navs. I find the Cartel Triples just as good with my compound. Cheaper and (dare I say it) more robust. I had some problems initially with the Beiter nocks which are suppossed to fit, but are just a bit too tight. Vector pins and pin nocks work a treat.

Geoff
    You're only young once, but you can be immature for as long as you wish ___________________

Administrator I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot.I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.AIUK subscriber. Tom's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Buy the Triples. Go on.... you know you want to

Seriously though, they will be a step up from ACCs and are on a par with Navigators but slightly cheaper. Alternative have got the Cartel selection chart hidden away on their website. You can access it from the Triple shaft page and is easy to follow.

rgsphoto
    Thanks guys. I can see the point weight is going to influence my decision here. If I need a 120 gn point then a 540 Nav is the choice. Tripples...hmmm. I keep hearing about these arrows. Can I assume a 500 spine tripple with a 120 point will be about right? I have some 520 ACE's that I could chop down. I have a spare three that I shot last week as an experiment, they did not group at all well with a 120gn point though.

I am tempted to give some tripples a go. Are the Vector pin nocks still available and will they continue to be?

Cheers

Rich

Administrator I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot.I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.AIUK subscriber. Tom's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsphoto
    Tripples...hmmm. I keep hearing about these arrows. Can I assume a 500 spine tripple with a 120 point will be about right?
    Cartel work out arrow spine in a different way to Easton so you can't assume the figures mean the same thing. I can't remember the ins and outs of how both companies measure the spine.

Looking at the Cartel chart a 700 Triple seems to be more like it (assuming Hard/solo cam, 55-59#draw weight, and a 25" arrow length). YMMV and I might be reading the chart wrong. :embarasse

Try dropping Alternative a line (or fill in the enquiry form) and they should be able to assist you. I think some other UK suppliers stock the Triple (but Alternative have a simple enquiry form )

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast