Beginner confused with Compound Bow

Hanno

Hi All, I've had a very basic fibreglass bow for a couple of years, and shot at targets in my big garden, up to 40 yards. I decided to get a compound bow, so got one on eBay second hand. It's a PSE Nova. I just tried firing a few arrows and was really surprised by the action of the bow. As I draw back I feel the tension, then it sort of collapses and I can hold it back at full draw without any real effort. Is that how it should be?

Then, on loosing, the bow seems to be not very powerful at all, yet it is a 30-40lb draw weight. I am guessing that I am doing something wrong, but as you can tell, I don't know what I am doing :rottentom

Any help for this newbie would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Hanno.

R

rgsphoto

Hi Hanno,

As a priority, find an archery club in your area, or at least buy a book or two. You need instruction and guidance from someone who knows how compound bows work. The bow is supposed to do as you describe, but there are losts of things you need to know before you will get the best from it. Too much to add in one single post. One very importand thing, DO NOT shoot the bow with no arrows in it. It will damage the bow and may harm you too.

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
The compound bow can give an impression of a low-powered loose, but what's really happening is that most of the energy is going into the arrow, so there's less vibration in the bow than you might expect.

As Rich says, you need to get to a club and practice with it in controlled circumstances, with knowledgable archers. Where do you live?

Hanno

Many thanks to you both. I have applied to the local Archery club, which has a 1? year waiting list, but I had a trial with them and they believe they can get me on the beginners course next month. But, my new bow arrived today, so I'm itching to get going. Is there any good links to describe all the elements of the compound bow? For example, I cannot see where the arrow rests. I see that people sell rests but I was surprised to see that it was not obvious where the rest might go, or even that I could not rest the arrow on any obvious part of the bow. Is there a separate bit that is screwed in to rest the arrow on?

It did not come with any sights either, but I have ordered some basic sights, so I will figure out where they go when they arrive. All in all a lot more complex than I expected, but I am keen to learn.

Best regards
Hanno

Stace

Hanno said:
Many thanks to you both. I have applied to the local Archery club, which has a 1? year waiting list, but I had a trial with them and they believe they can get me on the beginners course next month. But, my new bow arrived today, so I'm itching to get going. Is there any good links to describe all the elements of the compound bow? For example, I cannot see where the arrow rests. I see that people sell rests but I was surprised to see that it was not obvious where the rest might go, or even that I could not rest the arrow on any obvious part of the bow. Is there a separate bit that is screwed in to rest the arrow on?

It did not come with any sights either, but I have ordered some basic sights, so I will figure out where they go when they arrive. All in all a lot more complex than I expected, but I am keen to learn.

Best regards
Hanno
Hanno, you may be throwing good money after bad, I'm afraid.

When I went to get my first bow, the coach from the club came with me and I also got some excellent advice from the local archery equipment shop. If you just buy 'any old sight, arrow rest etc' you may end up wasting money.

If your bow's arrived, at least go to the nearest shop and ask them to kit you out whilst they have your bow to look at.

I fear you'll regret it otherwise.

jez

Compounds seem very complex at first but as soon as you speak to someone who has shot one consistantly for some time...you realise they ARE complex lol...get some hands on advice and go to your nearest archery retailer, until you know whats available you will throw good money after bad!!

Sponge

Fonz Awardee
There are some very good books for beginners that will explain the workings of the equipments and fixings. They will also highlight some safety issues and give advice on how not to hurt yourself or others.

I hope you have a very big safe area to shoot in becuase a compound can fire an arrow a long way, very quickly. Mounting your sight wrong and shooting 70 to 100m is not impossible. If the area is safe, a good book will start you off fairly well but there is nothnig like someone to help you out.

Where in the world are you? Some shops have ranges that run simple training courses that may give you a really good headstart. Lots of people here will advise.

Sponge.

Hanno

Thank you all. I did get a release aid. Took me 10 minutes to figure out how to attach it to the string :) I think I will wait until I get some direct tuition before I add more bits. But I've just been comparing my two bows at 25yards. The penetration with my fibreglass one-piece 30lb bow is way more than with the 40lb compound bow, which surprises me. I can never pull out my arrows first time with my fibreglass bow, but with the compound bow, they just come out easily. So maybe there is a problem with the tension of the string or something. But I love the fact that I can hold the string at full draw with no effort, compared to shaky-shaky with the fibreglass bow.

Best regards
Hanno

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
When you bought the bow, it was advertised as 30-40 lbs That just tells you its best range. It could be that it is not set at 40 or 30. At the end of each limb, furthest from the string is a bolt that can be tightened with an Allen key.When that is fully tightened down, the weight should be 40lb. if your bow is a long way from fully tight, it could be lighter than the fibre glass one.
That may explain why it does not penetrate so far.

R

rgsphoto

Hanno, you have me a little worried. The PSE Nova is a good bit of kit idealy suited to the new compound archer. You mention you don't use an arrow rest? How the h%ll are you shooting arrows with it? As Geoff says, the bow may not be setup correctly. if it's rated at 30lb's it won't shoot arrows that quickly, some Jelly bows are quite powerfull, I remember shooting a 40lb one at my old club, it was evil, :devil: It took many layers of skin of my bow arm. I am also wondering what arrows you are shooting from it? Compounds are not as complex as some people think, they just need a little bit of understanding and time to master. They need to be setup correctly to be safe, and so do you.

Please be patient, put the bow back in it's case, wait until you can get some hands on help. As long as the draw length you need is within the range of the bow, it will be fine, and a good choice for you needs.

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Please be careful when shooting in your back garden! Where is the nearest habited area behind your targets? To give you an idea, GNAS does not allow you to shoot unless you have 150 yards clear ground from your shooting line to the back of your range!

If you're not a member of any association, you will not be insured for any accidents, and even if you ARE a member, shooting alone in your garden may invalidate any insurance. Please also check your local bye-laws.

Beyond that, I echo what the others say, find a club and someone who knows what they're doing.

jerryRTD

Why do people assume that you have to use a release aid? The PSE Nova should have enough lenght to shoot off fingers at that poundage without any trouble.You need advice you are entering a class of archery in which arrows can go a long way, where 40 yds is reguarded as close range and where arrows can do a lot of damage to people if you miss the target in your back garden and the arrow goes over the fence. The Nova is not a bad bow (There are no bad bows just reasonable, good and great bows) it is capable of shooting well in the hands of a competent archer. If you ask about shooting off fingers and get blank looks at the club then do not be supprised, learn with a release aid .As I found out shooting compound off fingers is very different.
PS have a look through www.quicks.com the online shop and catalogue to find out what arrow rests etc is out there and find out what they look like.

Barebow

Don't be so quick to stick all the bells and whistles on the bow, I shoot compound with no sights, or release aid, just a very small sabilizer and an arrow rest. It's called barebow and is great fun. I have a tri-ax sight to give limited a go but haven't got round to setting it up just yet, I am still enjoying barebow to much.

R

rgsphoto

Barebow said:
Don't be so quick to stick all the bells and whistles on the bow, I shoot compound with no sights, or release aid, just a very small sabilizer and an arrow rest. It's called barebow and is great fun. I have a tri-ax sight to give limited a go but haven't got round to setting it up just yet, I am still enjoying barebow to much.
To some point I agree, however, Compound unlimited is, well, limited. I have yet to see anyone shoot compound unlimited indoors or out, as a target bow, let alone shoot off the fingers. It can be very isolating to be unconventional. I appreciate field shooters do this, as do a lot of hunters in the USA. Target shooters generally don't, as they would end up shooting alone.

It all depend on what type of archery people want to persue. Field, Target, or even just for fun. The Choice will depend heavily on the availability of a club in Hanno's area.