Compound Bow Best compound for under ?400

abo

Hi all newbie here been using a loaned compound for a time so I am looking to buy one so just looking for some views please

big-bill3

Hi, when I started I made a lot of mistakes.. The first thing to do is to establish the spec ie what draw weight,, draw length, brace height etc. will you use it for target, 3D or what? With that info, you can narrow down your options. There's plenty on the used market, especially if you're prepared to buy from the USA. I went for a PSE Stinger as it would cone down to a 40lb draw weight, then moved to a Bear Anarchy. I'm not sure there are bad bows out there. For the first few years the archer is the limiting factor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Z28

Hi
is your budget for the bow or the whole kit, re bearing in mind that the add on, sight, release aid etc all cost a lot more for a compound? Depends of course on what you use it for and whether you want new or second hand. Sometimes a whole kit will appear for sale but it will need to be exactly what you need as there is limited adjustability with many compounds. So consider carefully and get checked the items in big-bill's post and don't try and compromise - it can be expensive in the long run. You could get something like an Infinite Edge new around ?300 but then a release aid will be up to ?150+ for a hand held.

big-bill3

On the subject of release aids, I got totally confused over what style of release aid to go for. They all look similar and the nerds will all tell you their preferences, so following help from an American friend with 3D and hunting experience I went for a Winn Archery FreeFlight C-10 and its loop equivalent. http://www.winnarchery.com. I love it because you can draw a greater weight because you're not using your fingers, but your wrist to draw. I have a RH large size C-10 when you want to buy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

abo

Thx all its just the bow got a good release aid ,arrows,etc do need to get a better sight as mine moves some times during shooting . Been looking at Hoyt ignite ,mission Hyde dt but only on websites and I will be going for new

Z28

The longer bow (ATA) will be more stable but otherwise both look similar to Infinite Edge

jerryRTD

If you can draw a bow in tbe 50 to 60 peak draw weight range the you are wasting you money going for a short axle to axle starter bow.you would be better buying a second hand bow from a shop or other trust worthy scource.
Do not buy a cam specific draw lenght bow, changing cams is expensive.Try not to buy a bow that needs a bow press to change the drawlenght modules.Rotating draw leght modules are the easiest and the most flexible to use.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I guess it will always be a fact that what I desire is going to be just above my price range. With this in mind I would definitely recommend the PSE Phenom. If you could go the extra ?60 it is a bargain of a bow with adjustable draw length form about 26" thru 30". I would even say it's worth waiting a bit to save up just to get it, but also scout around for good deals in the meantime. I would hesitate to rate it as an intermediate bow, it is better than that and can give any top end bow a run for its money. You don't even need a press to change draw length.

Mormegil

I guess it will always be a fact that what I desire is going to be just above my price range. With this in mind I would definitely recommend the PSE Phenom. If you could go the extra ?60 it is a bargain of a bow with adjustable draw length form about 26" thru 30". I would even say it's worth waiting a bit to save up just to get it, but also scout around for good deals in the meantime. I would hesitate to rate it as an intermediate bow, it is better than that and can give any top end bow a run for its money. You don't even need a press to change draw length.
^ This.

I know it's slightly out of your budget but for the money the Phenom is an awesome bow. Basically a slightly shorter ATA Supra.

abo

Hi again have got the extra for a pse phenom prob age old question do I buy new or look around for second hand as I have a cheap sight and scope so if I brought 2 nd I'd be able to get a nice sight and scope dilemma time

Z28

Hi again have got the extra for a pse phenom prob age old question do I buy new or look around for second hand as I have a cheap sight and scope so if I brought 2 nd I'd be able to get a nice sight and scope dilemma time
Age old answer really. It's up to you. Depends on what sight you have and what you want. I think though I would go for a new bow and save for a better sight, in case a) you can't get a suitable second hand bow, if you buy new you can spec what you actually need b) a second hand bow may not be in as good a condition as you'd hoped for which may need some sorting out.

abo

Went for a new phenom in the end should pick up next sat can't wait thanks for all the help