AIUK Ironman Challenge 2014
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Discuss Bow retailers: How much do you charge for Hoyt Limbs ? at the Compound Bow within Archery Interchange UK Forums; Dear retailer or Hoyt shooter who may know this: How much do new XT500 limbs ...
    In the Green
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks

Bow retailers: How much do you charge for Hoyt Limbs ?

Dear retailer or Hoyt shooter who may know this:

How much do new XT500 limbs cost ? I can't find a reference to sale price anywhere (even on the web).

Basically I bought a bow (Hoyt katera XL) with "too powerfull" limbs, so I have to re-fit the bow with new limbs "owch". I can pull the bow easilly, but I have had good advice that as a novice I should work my way up the scale. Maybe one day I'll "graduate" to my 60lb limbs (I'll be keeping them), but I am told to shoot 40lbs to begin with, so 40-50lb limbs it is (at extra expense) - more the fool me!

I also have to buy a load of arrows (Easton X7's or X8's) and a new launcher AND release aid. Will a shop still charge me to fit new limbs if I am buying a load of other stuff off them ("in-kind") ?! If not, then what sort of charge is there for this job (how long does it take) ?

Just wondered how much extra this venture will cost ?

Ed

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    probably to much lol
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Go to www.Archerytalk.com and have a look at the classifieds for limbs.

New from a dealer, you may well be better off looking for a new bow.
    If you make something idiot proof, all that happens is someone builds a better idiot.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    You say that you can draw the bow quite comfortably with the 60lb limbs fitted, if that's the case why bother with the trouble and expense of changing to lower poundage limbs? As long as you can get to full draw without a struggle there's no advantage to having lighter limbs because at full draw you'll be holding about 20lbs which is well within most peoples capabilities. I'm presuming the bow is currently 50-60lbs so it can be dropped to the lower end of the weight range if you're having problems.

Cheers, Jim.
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try again, then give up, blame the equipment and have a beer.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Why not wind the bow down to 50lb?
    I assume that you have a 50-60lb bow.
    You say that you can pull 60lb "easily" so why not crank it down to 50lb(with care you might get 1 or 2 lbs less).
    You dont give your age but if you are a fit young man I dont see a problem with 50lb (my friend is 73 and he manages 47lb and I am 62 and pull 57lb).
    A set of limbs will be expensive (I would think several hundred pounds) and if you progress in weight gain quickly you will have wasted the money.
    I started a woman at my club on 38lb (on some Bowtecs you can wind down to a bit lower than the lowest poundage) and she is now shooting 43lb in a short time.

In the Green
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks

Unhappy Oh dear

Well the limbs are 60-70lb, so they are already wound down!

My coach can't tune the bow unless its down in the 40-50lb range and besides says it is radiculous for a new shooter to set their stall out at 60lbs - which in hind sight I agree. I can draw the bow without a release aid fairly easy a few dozen times in quick sucession, but that is with my fingers - not a release aid (have not tried). Is it more effort with a release aid ? I was told that if i try to finger shoot even onthe long A to A katera Xl with this poundage that I could damage my fingers (even with a tab) ?

I am really stressed now and can't really afford to get another bow.. I guess try to sell on a hardly used katera XL and take the loss now before it deprechiates any further and just go into recurve with as little money as possible. I am a student and taking this hit may even drive me out of Archery, at least psychologically at any rate.

What are the odds of selling a bow like this on this forum - there must be some 60lb shooters about ?

Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast