Discuss Bow retailers: How much do you charge for Hoyt Limbs ? at the Compound Bow within Archery Interchange UK Forums; Dear retailer or Hoyt shooter who may know this: How much do new XT500 limbs ...
    In the Green
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks

Bow retailers: How much do you charge for Hoyt Limbs ?

Dear retailer or Hoyt shooter who may know this:

How much do new XT500 limbs cost ? I can't find a reference to sale price anywhere (even on the web).

Basically I bought a bow (Hoyt katera XL) with "too powerfull" limbs, so I have to re-fit the bow with new limbs "owch". I can pull the bow easilly, but I have had good advice that as a novice I should work my way up the scale. Maybe one day I'll "graduate" to my 60lb limbs (I'll be keeping them), but I am told to shoot 40lbs to begin with, so 40-50lb limbs it is (at extra expense) - more the fool me!

I also have to buy a load of arrows (Easton X7's or X8's) and a new launcher AND release aid. Will a shop still charge me to fit new limbs if I am buying a load of other stuff off them ("in-kind") ?! If not, then what sort of charge is there for this job (how long does it take) ?

Just wondered how much extra this venture will cost ?

Ed

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    probably to much lol
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Go to www.Archerytalk.com and have a look at the classifieds for limbs.

New from a dealer, you may well be better off looking for a new bow.
    If you make something idiot proof, all that happens is someone builds a better idiot.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    You say that you can draw the bow quite comfortably with the 60lb limbs fitted, if that's the case why bother with the trouble and expense of changing to lower poundage limbs? As long as you can get to full draw without a struggle there's no advantage to having lighter limbs because at full draw you'll be holding about 20lbs which is well within most peoples capabilities. I'm presuming the bow is currently 50-60lbs so it can be dropped to the lower end of the weight range if you're having problems.

Cheers, Jim.
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try again, then give up, blame the equipment and have a beer.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Why not wind the bow down to 50lb?
    I assume that you have a 50-60lb bow.
    You say that you can pull 60lb "easily" so why not crank it down to 50lb(with care you might get 1 or 2 lbs less).
    You dont give your age but if you are a fit young man I dont see a problem with 50lb (my friend is 73 and he manages 47lb and I am 62 and pull 57lb).
    A set of limbs will be expensive (I would think several hundred pounds) and if you progress in weight gain quickly you will have wasted the money.
    I started a woman at my club on 38lb (on some Bowtecs you can wind down to a bit lower than the lowest poundage) and she is now shooting 43lb in a short time.

In the Green
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks

Unhappy Oh dear

Well the limbs are 60-70lb, so they are already wound down!

My coach can't tune the bow unless its down in the 40-50lb range and besides says it is radiculous for a new shooter to set their stall out at 60lbs - which in hind sight I agree. I can draw the bow without a release aid fairly easy a few dozen times in quick sucession, but that is with my fingers - not a release aid (have not tried). Is it more effort with a release aid ? I was told that if i try to finger shoot even onthe long A to A katera Xl with this poundage that I could damage my fingers (even with a tab) ?

I am really stressed now and can't really afford to get another bow.. I guess try to sell on a hardly used katera XL and take the loss now before it deprechiates any further and just go into recurve with as little money as possible. I am a student and taking this hit may even drive me out of Archery, at least psychologically at any rate.

What are the odds of selling a bow like this on this forum - there must be some 60lb shooters about ?

Ted

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    After reading you last post you might be better getting a lighter set of limbs.
    You might have a job selling your bow as the max bow weight in this country is 60lbs for competition/club use.
    Most compound guys like to shoot at the upper end of the weight range so would not go for 60-70lbs.
    Try ringing Quicks at Waterloovile 023 9225 4114 and they will give you an idea of costs and availability etc.

Nightimer

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    I'd make sure you get the bow weighed. Most Hoyts I've seen can go a couple of pounds below the marked weight (58lbs I'd guess in your case, my 50-60lbs goes to 48lbs). As for people shooting 60lbs, the majority of high level compound gents will usually be in the 55-60lbs category with regards draw weight (as said by others, 60lbs is the maximum legal FITA poundage).

Also, why can't your coach tune your bow if it is set to 60lbs? Tuning at high poundage is no different to tuning at 40lbs,which is no dofferent to 50lbs.
    Last edited by Hidden Hippo; 11-11-08 at 04:27 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    I have just order a new set of compound limbs for my other compound from hoyt through quicks - i hads to pay 100 deposit and will pay the rest of the balance when they come. The cost is dependant upon the strength of the pound against the dollar. Hopefully that shall go up and i will pay less. But they said new limbs usually 150.

If you can draw the bow easily and without injuring yourself then i dont really see a reason in spending money on limbs you will quickly grow out off. Personally i would shoot the bow for a while, do a few rounds if i was tiring easily wind the limbs down if not already at 60 lbs or only than would i consider lighter limbs. The money you save on the limbs could be put towards arrows or something else

Missed your last post - have to agree probably better to get new limbs especially if you want to do comps as 60lbs the max.
    Enjoy your compound shooting

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    1. Get a new coach. He either knows how to tune a compound or he doesn't. The draw weight has nothing to do with the principle which remains the same irrespective.

2. wind the limb bolts fully in, then take 4 turns off each limb and weigh it. I'd expect you to get it to somewhere around 58-60lbs. You do need to keep it below 60lbs but, if it is and you can draw it comfortably - it'll be easier with a release aid in your hand, possibly slightly harder if you use a wrist release - get on and shoot it.

3. if it doesn't come down below 60lb, you will have to splash out on new limbs. If you're into target archery, you really shouldn't have bought a 60-70lb bow anyway and it'll be hell to sell should you choose to get rid.

Adam
    Still not too old to kick ****
    Hoyt Pro Staff : Carbofast Pro Staff: Rogue hats

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    i think if u wind the bow down as much as poss and its still definately too much to pull for a decent amount of ends then u should consider cutting your losses and sell/ebay it. however you could try shooting something else (borrow beg steal etc ok not the last one) whilst building your strength up with some weight training, i recommend this item cheap and perfect for the job as it is close to simulating the draw cycle.(scroll to bottom of page)

Taits Health uk
    She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    3. if it doesn't come down below 60lb, you will have to splash out on new limbs. If you're into target archery, you really shouldn't have bought a 60-70lb bow anyway and it'll be hell to sell should you choose to get rid.

Adam
    Very good point. If I were in this situation, I'd probably look at splashing out on a new set of 50-60lb limbs anyway. They'll likely go down to around 48lbs anyway, which is fine to start on assuming a reasonable level of fitness. It will also mean that the bow (should you choose to sell) will be a lot easier to shift due to the fact that you've opened it up to the target market.

You could also try selling the old 60-70lb limbs on one of the American forums where they are into bowhunting as there is (obviously) no poundage limit there, so there is probably more of a market for them.