Bows For Short Draw Archer?s

pwiles1968

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I have been looking at Bows Specifically For the short draw archer, basically I have fallen in love with the Bowtech Equalizer and want to know what else is out there as direct competition, I started at Hunters Friend Youth and Short draw list, laid down some constraints ? up to 60# draw, at least 26? draw, min 6.5? brace height and 30? axel to axel, after dropping one that was too slow and another because it was ugly, I came up with a short list of 5 Bows. Does anyone have any suggestions on other suitable bows, or any comments on the ones below good or bad.

Bowtech Equalizer
AR 35 SD
Diamond Rapture Lite
Hoyt Selena
P.S.E. Spyder Rimfire

It is going to be a while before I change my bow but I want to look at and try as many as I can before I make the final decision.

Also Who in the UK Stocks The Above Particularly interested in the PSE and AR

Last edited:

JohnK

I understand that a number of the Martin bows fall into this category, such as the Shadowcat and Tigress.

pwiles1968

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
The Tigress only goes to 50# and the Shadowcat does not look like a specific short draw bow, although I cant see any draw lengths on the site?

The Prestige looks nice brace height is a bit low at 6".

JohnK

pwiles1968 said:
The Tigress only goes to 50# and the Shadowcat does not look like a specific short draw bow, although I cant see any draw lengths on the site?
Talk to Dave at Centreshot - he's put together several Martin compounds that don't match the official specs, all in cooperation with the manufacturer of course. No warranties were harmed in the production of said bows :D

Jan (also of Centreshot) has a Phantom 2, P3 and a Shadowcat all set up for her very short draw (25in or so, IIRC).

greydog

JohnK said:
Talk to Dave at Centreshot - he's put together several Martin compounds that don't match the official specs, all in cooperation with the manufacturer of course. No warranties were harmed in the production of said bows :D

Jan (also of Centreshot) has a Phantom 2, P3 and a Shadowcat all set up for her very short draw (25in or so, IIRC).
One of the good things about Martin is the range of options you get. For a short draw archer, you can go with Martins short straight limb rather than their recurved Elite limb, they also have a mini module for the Nitrous cam, so if your draw length falls into the bottom end of the cams adjustment range, you can go with the mini module and still get maximim performance from the cam. Their custom shop http://www.martinarchery.com/downs/customshop.pdf explains all the options :)

pwiles1968

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
iscap_boy said:
BowTech Tribute is also an option
This is not a short draw bow it starts at 26" so I would be right at the bottom of the adjustment range, I was specifically looking at short draw i.e. draw length range ends on or near 26" so I am at the end of the max draw which is supposed to be the most efficient on a compound.

I am not going to rule out standard draw bows I will look at the Bowtechs, some of the Hoyts, the Merlin 'X' range later, at the moment I am putting together a list of specifically designed short draw bows as I think this may be for me the best way to go.

Merlin Archery

Ironman
Hi Paul. Rather than looking at what draw length ranges bows offer, to optimise a set up for your short draw length you should consider draw length specific cams. Adjustable draw length cams are normally a compromise in the short settings.

jerryRTD

A super short Oneida Black Eagle will go from 25 to 28 and when you chage the draw lenght modules you change the profile of the cam.

Steve B

I am slightly biased, I love the way the Merlin X series shoot, the xs with viper cams is wonderful bow. A guy at my club has one he is 26" AMO and getting 274FPS out of it, you are certainly in the right place to have a shot of a Merlin.

IMHO I think you couldn't go wrong with one of these bows, but then again I like to go with something different myself, but I can say I bought the Merlin XT on the specs without shooting it and I can say that I chose right.

But I will say that with my short draw of 28" AMO I was not dissappointed with my 04 Cougar III, Nitrous cams either.

I am sure that what you buy from your list will be a great bow to shot anyway, just had to add my 2 pence worth

pwiles1968

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Merlin Archery said:
Hi Paul. Rather than looking at what draw length ranges bows offer, to optimise a set up for your short draw length you should consider draw length specific cams. Adjustable draw length cams are normally a compromise in the short settings.
This is why I am looking at Bows that I would be using at the Top end of the Adjustment, But Don't worry I know where you are I will definitely be paying a visit before I commit to any new bow :)

Bald Eagle

Mrs B.E. is shooting the Bowtech Equalizer, 25" draw, 4lb lighter than her Razortec but 5fps faster at 255fps and soooooo forgiving! (42lb)

pwiles1968

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Bald Eagle said:
Mrs B.E. is shooting the Bowtech Equalizer, 25" draw, 4lb lighter than her Razortec but 5fps faster at 255fps and soooooo forgiving! (42lb)
Is that 255fps at 25" and 42#? OoO :) What arrows is that with?

I would be 26" and just under 60# :yummy:.

How is she finding it for accuracy better than the Hoyt? Fast is nice but does not matter if you miss what you were aiming at and how is the draw v Cam and a Half I have heard it is a difficult draw? Steep Draw Force Curve I think the comment was, guess it is to be expected speed is not created by magic.

1959archer

My Wife has a Merlin XS at 34lbs 24.5 inch arrows and shes getting 250 fps with her ACC's 25fps faster than her Quest at the same weight same arrows

Bald Eagle

She loved her Razortec and was reluctant to change, but now is completely convinced this is a better bow, She shoots 780 A.C.E.'s

Marcus26

The Bowtech Equalizer is THE short draw bow.
It has everything that the top range Allegiance has, but with smaller cams and a thinner riser.
One of the women at our club just got one and out of the box finished 1 point under her PB. She now has to get use to hitting the 10 because she's doing so easily now.
Having looked over the bow carefully I see nothing in it I don't like. Can't say the same for many other company's short draw options.