Center shot

AH0RSEY

Reading two schools of thought on Centershot for Compounds leaves me a bit confused. Currently mine is set as though a recurve i.e not straight down the center line, but slightly off to the left. If I change this to be a true center, i.e straight down my longrod, my windage will adjust but it there anything else I need to watch out for?

My hopes are that this adjustment will lessen the fishtailing of my ACC's.

GeoffT

Ironman
AH0RSEY, Assuming you are using a release, then there is no sideways pressure at the release, no archer paradox and no need for offset centre shot. Straight down the middle is best...Confirm with paper tuning.

R

rgsphoto

I have an Ultra Tec. I too had thoughts about this and to cut a long story short ended up going for 19mm from the side of the riser to the centre of the launcher. I used a laser alignment gauge and find the centre shot is fine. The string on the Hoyt is offset so can only be measured from the nock point, as it slopes off to one side.

The centre of the riser has a scoop shaped "v" into middle of it under the launcher. I find the middle of the V to be just about spot on for centre shot.

Having said all this, fishtailing of arrows may be other things. Have you checked for fletch contact etc?

The centre of the sight may not be over the launcher. I find my sight is a little off set.

AH0RSEY

GeoffT said:
AH0RSEY, Assuming you are using a release, then there is no sideways pressure at the release, no archer paradox and no need for offset centre shot. Straight down the middle is best...Confirm with paper tuning.
Thanks Geoff...will tryout tonight. Seen the old posts on here about setting the center and not relying upon the longrod, so will devise something to use.

AH0RSEY

rgsphoto said:
Having said all this, fishtailing of arrows may be other things. Have you checked for fletch contact etc?
Thanks rgs...dont think there is contact, I could check this out with some powder, but the fletches dont show anysigns. Also, not consistant fishtailing so may be my form thats adding to the dance of the ACC's :rottentom

R

rgsphoto

Paper tuning is OK but very reliant on good consistent form. I did lots of this just as a test. I could get paper tares in both directions just by holding the bow slightly different. I feel a walk back test is the only way to confirm your centre shot is OK. Set it to 3/4" and just shoot it. It will be fine. Can't see centre shot causing the problems you have unless it's way off. Send us some numbers on the bow you have. Power, arrow spine etc, fletch type, nock point etc.

greydog

If you can shoot outside on a calm day one way to get your centreshot is to set the rest up so the arrow is central to the string, a quick way to do this is stick a couple of allen keys in the limb bolts, then stretch an elastic band between the allen keys, this'll give you the middle of the limb, your arrow should run through the middle of the elastic band.

That's your starting point and will only take a minute to set up :)

Then go outside and do a walkback test, this will fine tune your centreshot for your set up. Very few bows shoot through the true centre as the cable guard induces some torque into the system, the walk back lets you know exactly how much. Hope that helps :)

Marcus26

Here is how I set mine.

I eyeball it by lining up the string grooves and the centreshot.
I then shoot indoors for a bit and get my sights set
I then go straight out to 70m and shoot
If my arrows land to the right of the X I move my centreshot out untill I am hitting the middle
I then go back inside and readjust my sight and repeat. After a few times I will have it hitting spot down the middle at all ranges.
Did this recently then shot fita field and shot a PB so it works.

Frommy

We also eyball the string centre shot. We set the bow in a vertiucal position on a chair, at an angle of about 45 degrees from top to bottom cam, top cam forward. Eyeball the line between the slots on the cam where the string is coming from, against the line of the string on the body of the bow, and place a mark on the riser at that allignment.

Last weekend we did a newbie bow, I think it was a Browning Micro Midas, and the run of the string off the cams was most definately to the left (right hand bow) from the centre of the limbs.

Brian

greydog

Frommy said:
Greydog,

Not all bows have the string lining up level with the centre of the limb.

Brian
......only bows with three track cams do, other than that they are all off centre......that's why it's a starting point.

GeoffT

Ironman
Marcus26 said:
Here is how I set mine.

If my arrows land to the right of the X I move my centreshot out untill I am hitting the middle
Marcus, Do you mean "in" towards the bow if to the right of the X...or am I missing something?

Marcus26

Marcus said:
Here is what I said, not IN, but OUT, ie opposite to the direction the arrow hit.

GeoffT

Ironman
Marcus26 said:
Here is what I said, not IN, but OUT, ie opposite to the direction the arrow hit.
Thanks Marcus, I'lltry that. Can't get my head around the physics but I believe you.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
It's not really physics, just geometry :)

When you move the centreshot, you're shifting where the tip of the shaft is pointing. If the shafts are going right, you want to move the tip of the arrow left, so that it's pointing where you want it to be. So you move the rest out from the bow or left, in other words (for a right-handed archer).

GeoffT

Ironman
Rik said:
It's not really physics, just geometry :)

When you move the centreshot, you're shifting where the tip of the shaft is pointing. If the shafts are going right, you want to move the tip of the arrow left, so that it's pointing where you want it to be. So you move the rest out from the bow or left, in other words (for a right-handed archer).
Rik, That is my view, but is the opposite of what Marcus is saying.:boggled:

GeoffT

Ironman
Alex Greig said:
Oh contrare, thats exactly what marcus said
Please ignore all my posts on this subject.

I am enrolling on a course to learn my left from my right. :melodrama

Marcus26

Slightly off topic, but similar.

My Mum is a member of Menza and on their forum they aparently have the odd brain teaser. One was "If your bullets are impacting high, which way do you move the rear sight on a gun"
These geniuses insisted you follow the bullet, like on a bow sight. My Mum was the only one who said otherwise (being an ex-archer) and the result was along the lines of "well we will have to agree to disagree then".
Yep, very smart people. :lol:

Anyway, just thought it was funny.