AIUK Ironman Challenge 2014
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Discuss Changing Bow Limbs at the Compound Bow within Archery Interchange UK Forums; I have a Browning Micro Midas 4 The poundage range is 20 to 30. Draw ...
    In the Green
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks

Changing Bow Limbs

I have a Browning Micro Midas 4
    The poundage range is 20 to 30.
    Draw length set to 27"
    Am I correct in thinking that I could change the limbs to give me a poundage range of 30 to 40

If my supposition is correct, what do you consider the correct way of changing the limbs or is this a job best left to the pro.

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    I suppose the first check would be to find someone who will supply the limbs you want.
    Next, you will probably need a bow press to get the strings and cables off.
    The press used will need to allow you to slowly reduce the tension on the limbs to zero. Slowly and under control, usually some form of screw adjustment.( I had a lever type that would bend the limbs to slacken the string /cables. but after that the lever re-set the limbs back to their shooting weight, so they were still under a lot of stress)
    Before doing any work have pictures/sketches of the cams and cables/string to show how they wrap round and where they end up at the opposite end of the bow. It is a good idea to try to understand how they work rather than just relying on the pics.
    Don't rely on labels such as top cable or bottom cable.That can be confusing some time later when trying to assemble from scratch. Top limb cable/bottom limb is a better way to label them, so you know where the cables start.Note how the cables cross one another; is the top limb cable in the front slot of the slider and does it cross on the outside of the other one?
    When removing the axles, take care not to lose the clips that hold them in place; take them off inside a large clear plastic bag.
    Compound limbs are very strong; never undo the limb bolts more than a few turns(5 is mentioned in some maker's handbooks) while they are under tension from the strings and cables.Squeeze with the bowpress to remove cables /strings and then reduce tension under the control of the bowpress
    This may sound complicated but that's because it takes far more words than would be required to explain face to face.If someone can go through this with you, face to face, that will be even better.

It's an X AIUK subscriber. Whitehart's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Yes it can be done, the limbs will be expensive compared to the original cost of the bow. Then there is the fitting costs, as Geoff says if you do not know what you are doing don't try it, learning by trial and error can be deadly with a compound.
    You will need a bow press.

In the Green
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Thank you WhitehartFB and Geoff.
    I have noted your comments and should I decide to proceed it would not be without the use of a bowpress.
    I am about to make enquireys as to the availability of replacement limbs.

Ideally I want to arrive at a poundage range of 40 to 50lbs using the Browning Micro Midas 4. The size is just right but at 30lbs max is a little on the light side.
    Regards
    Eric

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    It would appear that the Micro Midas4 is only offered with a 20-30 lb draw weight.
    That would make it highly unlikely that heavier limbs are available.

Nightimer

In the Green
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks

Changing Bow Limbs

Yes Nightimer, this is what I have been finding.
    In which case I shall persevere with the 30lb limit until another bow comes along.
    Ideal draw weight for my needs at present would be 35lb min up to 50 max. As I am at present I could not draw a 50lb bow nor would I attempt to, but with exercise and time it is not impossible, although I feel that 45lbs max might be better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast