Changing Bow Limbs

Eric Dunlop

I have a Browning Micro Midas 4
The poundage range is 20 to 30.
Draw length set to 27"
Am I correct in thinking that I could change the limbs to give me a poundage range of 30 to 40

If my supposition is correct, what do you consider the correct way of changing the limbs or is this a job best left to the pro.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I suppose the first check would be to find someone who will supply the limbs you want.
Next, you will probably need a bow press to get the strings and cables off.
The press used will need to allow you to slowly reduce the tension on the limbs to zero. Slowly and under control, usually some form of screw adjustment.( I had a lever type that would bend the limbs to slacken the string /cables. but after that the lever re-set the limbs back to their shooting weight, so they were still under a lot of stress)
Before doing any work have pictures/sketches of the cams and cables/string to show how they wrap round and where they end up at the opposite end of the bow. It is a good idea to try to understand how they work rather than just relying on the pics.
Don't rely on labels such as top cable or bottom cable.That can be confusing some time later when trying to assemble from scratch. Top limb cable/bottom limb is a better way to label them, so you know where the cables start.Note how the cables cross one another; is the top limb cable in the front slot of the slider and does it cross on the outside of the other one?
When removing the axles, take care not to lose the clips that hold them in place; take them off inside a large clear plastic bag.
Compound limbs are very strong; never undo the limb bolts more than a few turns(5 is mentioned in some maker's handbooks) while they are under tension from the strings and cables.Squeeze with the bowpress to remove cables /strings and then reduce tension under the control of the bowpress
This may sound complicated but that's because it takes far more words than would be required to explain face to face.If someone can go through this with you, face to face, that will be even better.

Whitehart

Yes it can be done, the limbs will be expensive compared to the original cost of the bow. Then there is the fitting costs, as Geoff says if you do not know what you are doing don't try it, learning by trial and error can be deadly with a compound.
You will need a bow press.

Eric Dunlop

Thank you WhitehartFB and Geoff.
I have noted your comments and should I decide to proceed it would not be without the use of a bowpress.
I am about to make enquireys as to the availability of replacement limbs.

Ideally I want to arrive at a poundage range of 40 to 50lbs using the Browning Micro Midas 4. The size is just right but at 30lbs max is a little on the light side.
Regards
Eric

Nightimer

It would appear that the Micro Midas4 is only offered with a 20-30 lb draw weight.
That would make it highly unlikely that heavier limbs are available.

Nightimer

Eric Dunlop

Yes Nightimer, this is what I have been finding.
In which case I shall persevere with the 30lb limit until another bow comes along.
Ideal draw weight for my needs at present would be 35lb min up to 50 max. As I am at present I could not draw a 50lb bow nor would I attempt to, but with exercise and time it is not impossible, although I feel that 45lbs max might be better.

Hidden Hippo

You would be surprised. Most 40-50lb rated bows are generally around 37/38-52lbs - there's a little bit of leeway.

You should also keep an eye on the cam choice. A different pair of cams at 50lbs may be easier to draw than a very aggressive pair at 45lbs.

english_archer

Ironman
You should also keep an eye on the cam choice. A different pair of cams at 50lbs may be easier to draw than a very aggressive pair at 45lbs.
Best stay away from most bowtechs then my tribute is VERY aggressive
You may be able to pick up a micro midas 3 in 30 to 40 lbs range quite cheap

arutha

I may be wrong Eric, but it looks like you'll be chasing a new bow instead of new limbs. Maybe if you gave us more detail e.g. build, experience etc.. ..then the good folks on here could help you with their "all-knowing advice"...:) or even point you in the direction of a bargain.

Eric Dunlop

Thank you all for your input, I have now concluded that changing the limbs on the Micro Midas 4 is a non starter.

Micro Midas 3 could be on option.
As far as compound bows are concerned as you may by now have realised I have little experience. My main interest with compound shooting would be in "Field Archery" as opposed to Target Archery.

My interest in Target Archery centres around my Recurve Bow which is a 30 yr old Samick.

My interest in Archery began when I was 14 yrs old and was presented with a Slazenger Flat bow of 30lbs draw @ 28".
As time passed I joined the Bell & Howell Archers shooting long bow "bare bow". This was some 40 years ago.

I have now been put out to grass and am looking for a regular hobby, what better than a return to Archery.

Well that just about covers the experience, as to build I am what I would call mid sized, my height is 5'-11" and fairly athetic at 13stone 7lbs. I can easily shoot all evening at 30lbs draw weight and regularly exercise pulling 40lbs over shorter periods.

This is why I thought that a compound bow with a draw weight of 40 to 50 and a draw length of 26 to 29 would be a good compromise.

arutha

Good Stuff Eric!
My post was really just to see if you could give more details. Then the folks on here will be able to make their mind up and maybe throw a few tips yer way :)

"Everybody has to learn"

P.S. If you learn something new...make sure to share it with me..ahem..I mean US:)

english_archer

Ironman
HHmmm well after reading erics last post I dont think I would hesitate to recomend a differnt bow rather than a micro midas (dont get me wrong the compound kid won two county champs shooting a midas 4)it would be well worth your time contacting some of the archery shops that advertise on here to see what they have second hand. While the browning is a good bow there are much better ones to be had for example the compound kids P.B. for a britol 2 has gone up over a 100 points since switching to a Merlin T.M. 5