Thread: Changing cams...

In the White
    Thanks

Changing cams...

I'm thinking about changing the cams in my bow, am i limited to only the cams made for that bow, or can i look at other manufacturers? I appreciate there has got to be clearance for the cam (seeing as its solid limb here rather than split) but what else defines whether a cam will fit? Are the axle sizes/fittings all standardized? Could i use the old axles perhaps and mount the new cams on them. I appreciate custom strings would have to be made and theres no guarantee that it will work well or even be drawable but from a construction point of view is it possible?

Just a thought....

Effrum

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 919 Posts
    One problem with changing cams, is getting the poundage right, and the drawlength.
    One thing that has to be considered is the axle length on your bow and the axle length of the bow the other cams are designed for. Likewise with poundage. The limbs on your bow are of a certain stiffness and the stiffness of the limbs of the other bow would need to be similar.
    For example changing your cams for a set from another manufacturer, is more than just looking at draw length and poundage of both bows and getting the equivalent ones. I imagine there are formula that could be used to cut down the risk of making a mistake but that would involve finding the formula from manufacturers. Changing cams can be great fun if you like working things out for your own satisfaction. I am not trying to put you off either; I enjoyed the challenge too. I came unstuck a few times when the poundage doubled or the draw length was 4" short unexpectedly.

In the Blue I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.
    Thanks
    Here is my experience with mixing makes and models of cams -

About 10 years ago we used to offer cam conversions as a service. Most times we could fit our cams to any make of bow.

Now we don't bother to attempt it at all. It's not that they don't fit, and you can roughly work out what draw length they will get by comparing the A to A length and brace height of the model bow the cams are coming off. It's the poundage. It can vary, 10, 20 40lbs between cam styles. Cams have evolved considerably over the years, and there are big differences between manufacturers.

By all means, try it. It's a good way of learning more about your bow. But it is rather hit and miss.
    Ben Jones

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot. Kae's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Its one of those areas that I wouldn't even contemplate doing myself.
    Take it to an experienced bow shop and see what they think. However, the chances are they wouldn't touch it, unless they have been successful in doing so in the past.
    If all else fails... Panic!

Thanks
    They're also not likely to touch it because they're voiding the manufacturer's warranty, and as such exposing themselves to legal claims if it blows up and hurts you after they've switched the cams.
    If you make something idiot proof, all that happens is someone builds a better idiot.

Thanks
    I have a Blue Mountain Razorback compound bow with a merlin shoot through system on it. It was my first compound bow so it will never be sold as the company went out of production a few years back. I use it for clout shooting only