Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheaper compound spares

Thanks

Cheaper compound spares

After a couple of doldrums years with my recurve I'm thinking about buying a compound to switch things around a bit. The idea isn't to move away from recurve, although that may happen, but to jolt my brain out of some of its bad habits. I can swap between my recurve, horsebow and the compound.

Obviously I wouldn't want to spend a fortune for something that may only be a change of pace. On the other hand, some quality would be nice.

I was looking at the PSE Stinger but have an illogical dislike of single cam bows. Maybe the lack of symmetry bothers me. I then looked at the Kinetic range. Cheep with reasonable reviews but no sign of a manufacturers website at all. I suspect that this means they are the low end side of a well known manufacturers range or, more likely, a Chinese brand.

So...they may be reasonable value for money but what about spares and repairs? New cables and strings? New cams? Limbs (in the worst case)? Can we assume that the archery shops have the contacts to get hold of these?

Anyone had experience with replacing OEM bits on budget bows? Are compound parts in general pretty reliable? Maybe most people never have to replace anything except string and cables which you can get custom made?
    The jungle...it came alive and took him!

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Strings are fairly easy - if you have an existing set you can make or get made a matching set. If you are happy with bodge it and bend it then why not go for a quality second hand bow - 3 years old and some of them sell for comparative peanuts. I'd guess the biggest issue starting out is working out draw length and getting the right cams in the first place. As far as I can tell though, compound can turn into an expensive sport if you *need* several release aids etc etc etc...
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chuffalump View Post
    Anyone had experience with replacing OEM bits on budget bows? Are compound parts in general pretty reliable? Maybe most people never have to replace anything except string and cables which you can get custom made?
    I guess with a new bow you will have the 12month peace of mind you will not get from a second hand bow, but all manufacturers started somewhere. Kinetic seem to be stocked by most of the big suppliers and I guess they will not stock bows that keep coming back.

I terms of failures, in 30 years I've had 1 Barnett Excalibur riser replaced, 2 hoyt compound riser fails replaced out of warrantee, and 1 mathews bow replace within warrantee. All were riser failures except the Mathews. I've never had a small part failure except part of a cable guard on my PSE. I don't think I've ever come across OEM parts for bows.
    Single cam bows are great if you are just starting out with compound as the set up is so easy. No cam timing to worry about.
    An archers only opponent is his mind.

Thanks
    Sorry. OEM meaning Original Equipment Manufacturer. I'm sure you can get pattern parts for some bows. If not, then there's an opening for custom cam machining out there.

Cheers. If the fittings are fairly reliable then riser manufacturing defects maybe what to look out for.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Timid Toad View Post
    Strings are fairly easy - if you have an existing set you can make or get made a matching set. If you are happy with bodge it and bend it then why not go for a quality second hand bow - 3 years old and some of them sell for comparative peanuts. I'd guess the biggest issue starting out is working out draw length and getting the right cams in the first place. As far as I can tell though, compound can turn into an expensive sport if you *need* several release aids etc etc etc...
    Archery Bloat 😁.

Recurve isn't immune though. One of my clubmates was happily showing us his five different sight pins last week.

I do check out the second hand offerings in the shops but haven't seen anything I like yet. I'm surprised that there isn't more part ex going on.

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Shops aren't in the market of selling second hand - there's no margin in it for them. Plenty of second hand on various selling sites though.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast