Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheaper compound spares

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 950 Posts
    Hang them round your hat, helps keep flies away and lets you keep an eye on them.

Thanks
    So...an addition to the cheap compound conundrum.

I've been having great fun with my Kinetic Static. I've increased my collection of release aids to three (two hinges and a thumb trigger). Archery enthusiasm rekindled. Spent an age last night working out trigger arcs for comparing my Scott Backspin and Longhorn.

However, the lack of information is a niggle. The suppliers sent me some string and cables lengths that don't bear any resemblance to what my tape measure is telling me. The manual tells me that the material is D97 and the serving is 62X. No info on the cam serving and no strand count etc.

I'm thinking of making my own strings but material is expensive so getting the right stuff is important. I could send them away to be duplicated but that means no shooting during this period.

I've asked the supplier what materials I COULD use. BCY X and 452X seem to be the compound materials of choice with the supplied D97 being a budget compound issue from the manufacturer. A bit of research surprised me. D97 is basically a thicker strand precursor to 8125G and BCY assume 8125G can be used for compound strings. In my understanding, the main issue is stability. A creeping material could introduce cam lean or maybe cam timing problems. I already have 8125G material for making recurve strings so I could theoretically make compound strings at least as good as the one it came with.

Anyone ever used 8125G for compound? The ATA on mine has shown no sign so far of changing (approx 42lb peak weight). Maybe it would be different up at 50lb? There's no hurry as my current string is fine but I like to strike while the enthusiasm is hot.

Thanks
    Another interesting read; thanks all!

If I was to buy again, Iíd get a used Mybo Origin. However I bought a new one just before the Edge came out and prices plummeted!!

But itís a good, solid bow with enough adjustment.

It took me a while to adjust from a ďbeginnerĒ
    bow (Hoyt Ignite) to a more proper Mybo Origin; in particular the much less forgiving draw cycle which had me convinced the bow had a problem; the problem was me.

Keep it varied too; Iíve gone off target (partly due to an ultra cliquey target club) and prefer our nice, friendly field club.

And I found hinge/thumb trigger releases a complete disaster; I get on far better with a good wrist release.

Hope it works out for you!

Thanks
    Heh. I tended to snatch at the trigger on the thumb release but the hinge was a revelation. Still learning and there are several hinge techniques to try yet.

Thanks
    I was initially okay with a hinge but several accidental releases later and my form fell off a cliff. My draw became so wobbly my arrows kept falling off the rest, I induced epic TP. Bought a thumb release thinking it would be better; okay at first too but then three lost ACG arrows later, I sold it. It took me about a year to regain full confidence again!

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 950 Posts
    Watching archers who start with a compound, it almost seems "natural" for them to snatch at the trigger, whether it is a finger or thumb.
    It is a bit like using a clicker, in the sense that we have to learn how it works.
    If the trigger is too light there is a tendency to keep off it; but as we reach the trigger it often seems to set off before we are ready. A stiff setting allows us to rest on the trigger and then apply pressure while we get on with finishing the shot as we want it to happen.
    The hinge is a revelation as you say!!! It's a bit like the resistance activated release in the way "it seems to choose" when to go off.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast