Compound Bow Draw length

Stace

What dictates the draw length of a compound bow?

I've been offered a Hoyt Ultratec at a very good price but I'm thinking that the draw length may be a little on the long side even though it's adjusted to the minimum on the cam.

I know that these bows should be assembled for each individual archer but the only thing that I can see that would dictate draw length are the cams themselves. Are they available seperately?

Tony_zelah

Stace it depends on the type of cam thats on the bow. If its a cam 1/2 (same as mine) there a an adjustment of over 3 inches avalable. If your going tonight have a look at my bow and you can see what i mean.

R

rgsphoto

A good archery shop ( Aardvarks) may be able to fine tune the draw length via a different string. I reckon worst case, it will need new cams and a string, budget for anything between ?35 (new string) and ?100 if it needs cams as well. If you get the bow at a good price it may be worth it. Used bows usually need a re-string anyway, just to make sure they are safe.

greydog

The draw length is set by the cams, some are adjustable like the cam.5 to give a few inches of adjustment, but if you already have it on the shortest setting there are still a few options.

Putting a handle on the bow, adjusting the 'D' loop size and at a push putting some twists into the shooting string and taking twists out of the cables (making sure cams are still inside timing marks) will all help you reduce the draw length a bit.

If you are looking to lose an inch or more then, as rgsphoto pointed out, you may need the next size cam down, which would also mean new cables and/or new string

Adam

RGS and Greydog are right: if you need to go a fraction shorter you can probably do it by adding twists to the string but, if you need somthing more like a half-an-inch shorter (or more), you'll certainly need smaller cams and, in turn, new string and cables.

I would add however that the Hoyt cam & 1/2 works best at the long end it's adjustment range. If you've already bought the bow and it's too long even on it's shortest setting, I would stongly recommend investing in smaller cams etc. If you've not yet bought it, consider spending time searching for a bow with a shorter draw. New cams, cables and string will certainly cost upward of ?100.

Adam

Bald Eagle

Will you be shooting it with a "d"loop on and will you be using a wrist release? Before you spend big bucks you may be able to shorten the draw by using a jaws thumb release with a 360 deg turn head like the chappie boss directly on the string. By lengthening the cables you shorten the string, there are a few ways you can make it fit you before you depart with your hard earned!

Stace

Well, having had Tony_zelah look at it, the draw length is too large. I have a recurve draw length of 28" and this bow has a minimum draw length of 30" so it's a no-go.

However, as it's only the cams that directly effect the draw length (the cables and string are fairly inexpensive), can I buy these seperately and for how much?

This bow is offered to me at a very good price and seems silly not to buy it because of these cams, if that's all that is needed. The riser and limbs are identical to that of a bow with a shorter draw length and I'd imagine that they are the most expensive components.

It seems that not buying it is like refusing to buy a car because it doesn't have a CD player.

greydog

I think cam v5's were around the ?65 - ?70 mark. You could always get some cash beck selling the original cams on ebay. As Adam stated, get cams that will let you shoot from the longest setting for the best performance, but if you're new to compounds (?) leave yourself enough adjustment to fine tune your draw length, it will usually be a little shorter than your recurve draw, depending on what sort of release aid you use, and if you are going from a high hand position to a lower one on the compound.

Strings and cables, a complete set depending on material used (I always use 452X as it is very stable with no stretch) can be anything from ?35 to ?55+.

Most importantly, enjoy your new bow :)

greydog

Any Hoyt dealer should be able to sort you out, Bowsports, Alt. Services, Aardvark, Centreshot etc.....check out the links directory in the top menu for their websites :)

pwiles1968

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
You can check the tune charts on the hoyt website to see the cam you will need and string length, You will need to know what year the bow is and the Limbs i.e. XT3000, I assume it is cam & 1/2.