Compound Bow Compound for a new archer

Drake267

Hi guys, im just after a bit of advice if possible. Im new to archery, finished my beginners course and would like to buy my own compound. Would prefer something thats adjustable a fair amount. After looking around and visiting merlin at Bishop Auckland i really like the mybo origin. Problem is my funds wont stretch to a new mybo yet, plus all the extras i would need. I have seen a used, mint 2016 bear escape with a hunting sight, release aid, arrows and a couple of extra bits. Priced at ?650. Would that be a good buy for myself? Or would you buy a lesser specced bow but new? Quite a fan of buying used as i could recoup a fair bit of my outlay if i decide to sell. Is the bear escape a good bow? Is that price about right for it? Any advice on the above bows or indeed anything else would be most appreciated. Thanks guys.

Mark31121

Ironman
We'd need more information really, but that's a beast of a bow for a newbie and probably too high a draw-weight for starting out - you don't want to do yourself an injury starting too high too soon and it's more technique than strength.

Release aids are a very personal thing so hard to comment but the hunting sights are usually only any good for either hunting (illegal in the UK) or field so it depends on what you want to do.

Drake267

Compound bow

Thanks for the reply Mark, im pretty sure i can handle the draw weight. Will start at 45 and see how it goes. Goes up to 60. Will probably change the sights and biscuit, dont like the release aid either. Tried a few at merlins. Its mainly the bow i am after. The arrows will come in handy too to start with. What are your opinions on the quality of the bow? I can get it for ?500 now, tru ball stinger release aid, trophy ridge biscuit and 5 pin sight. Mybo heatwave arrows. 10 of those, small stabiliser. You think its worth the money? Dont want to buy a bow i will have to upgrade in a few months. Will be fitting target sights as i will be shooting at my club and also fancy the 3d and field. Bow does look to be mint.

jerryRTD

That is a hunting or field bow and if that is the type of archery for you then ok but if you are going to shoot target then no I would not recommend it.
Go back to Merlin and look at:-

1. Bowtech Carbon Knight, light (3.2 lbs) adjustable (26.5 in to 30.5 DL) . Fast 333fps Ibo. At ? 457.61, reasonable price.

2. Cartel Midas Hunter sight ( It is a target sight ,ignore the hunter bit) Good basic sight. I have used one on my indoor bow for the last 2 years without any problems at all, an at ?45.00 it's good value. Add a budget scope, the Infitech looks ok for ?28.00, you will have to see for yourself what power lense you need.(I use .5)

3. SpotHog 'Wiseguy' ?88.64 o You can get cheaper wrist releases but the quality will not be anywhere as good.

4. Stabs You will have to decide if you want the long rod, offset bar and short rod or just a long rod. see what they have and how it suits the bow

5 Arrow rest Infitech crux looks good at ?38.00.

6 Arrows get big alloys for now you'll be going indoors soon

Drake267

Thanks Jerry,

will have a look at those. Have seen the carbon knight. Was one in at merlins and liked that too. Dont think i will be getting a wrist release. Didnt like the feel of them. Liked the thumb release better but will have a look at that one you mentioned still. Thanks once again.

jerryRTD

Thanks Jerry,

will have a look at those. Have seen the carbon knight. Was one in at merlins and liked that too. Dont think i will be getting a wrist release. Didnt like the feel of them. Liked the thumb release better but will have a look at that one you mentioned still. Thanks once again.
If you are going for thumb trigger hand held then you are going to be spending a significant amount of cash. So it makes sense to try a wrist release of about the same price. So when you go to Merlin try a Carter Two Shot. IMO it is the best wrist release there is.
The problem with cheaper wrist releases is they are just that , cheap, they feel cheap flimsy

you have a PM

AndyW

In general you want adjustable and forgiving. Solocams are user friendly such as a fair few Mathews bows but tend to be cam / module specific. Longer ATA is more forgiving say +36 inch. Adjustable cam if possible so as you can tweak your draw length.
A lot of the bows out there will be a trade off of some sort. The origin would be a good choice as it's got everything except being a solocam. There's plenty of others out there but you will need to be aware of the trade offs. A second hand bow unless you know the owner / history can be a gamble but can save you a good few bob. If I had my time again and were starting out I would be looking for something along the lines of a second hand PSE Supra not too old as it's got the ATA and the adjustability. If you're not sure of specific models years go to compound bow choice and have a look. I would also be looking to buy from a shop (maybe a part ex) or from someone you know is a pretty stand up all round good person. There's people on here or out and about who I would have no hesitation buying a bow off but others I wouldn't touch. At least a shop will have looked it over and won't knowingly sell you a dog. Steer clear of speed bows and low brace heights. Whichever bow you choose from a mainline archery company will be capable of a lot more than the owner and it will come down to something as daft as does it feel good to shoot. I stick with a 6 year old Martin Shadowcat in fear of the limbs breaking because I love the thing. Don't overly stress over your first bow - we've all made the mistake, main thing is to go out and enjoy and start chatting to folk. It will fall into place.
Hope this helps.

Drake267

Thanks Andy,

Did look at the pse bows and really like the look of them. Couple advertised at the mo, ex demos. Pretty much new and from an archery shop. Will keep an eye on those. I really fancy the 3d shooting but would imagine that will only be every now and again. Would i be better getting say a pse supra or the mybo and just use that for the 3d occasionally? Know what you guys mean about buying used. I may just have to stretch myself and get new. Might be for the best. Thanks again guys. All appreciated.

Brett

AndyW

For the odd 3D, anything. We have people walking round with full Olympic recurve set ups and if they can get to the target with that lot then any other bow can. I wouldn't choose a different bow for field - I would go with the best target bow I could afford. I occasionally bang on about speed and the constant pursuit of but if I'm being honest it all comes down to distance judging. I'm looking for a marginal advantage. If I misjudge the distance by 5 yrds 300 fps might get me a low kill as opposed to a wound at 270 fps. I averaged 19 over a two day shoot the other week and lost by 10 points, my class is too high scoring and tight at the top for me to be anything other than concerned about marginal.
For the occasional foray into field just shoot whatever, you don't need multiple bows. You will however end up with multiple bows - it's a given. If I had a pound for every time the right hand has hovered over the button but finally clicked I would probably get another bow.
Fiddling is another common trait - virtually any arrow fletching combination will get to the target but you really will have to try those other vanes / wraps / collars / nocks / shafts / points just to be sure.
It's just fun.

Drake267

Thanks Andy,

totally agree with what you are saying. Guys at Merlin do too! Just been up there for around 90 mins. Young lad in there gave me lots of good advice, handled a few bows and know what i want now. Got 3 in mind that i like the look of, the pse Phenom, pse Supra and the mybo origin. Just comes down to available funds and either new for peace of mind or buy a good used one. Drew the pse phenom at 47lbs and that was more than comfortable to be honest. 28 draw length it was set at but may need another half inch on that. It was to just let me try the bow really. Advised me on good extras that i wouldnt need to upgrade unless it was a case of if i wanted to rather than needed too. Really enjoyed it up there, good set of guys.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
I started early this year; got a Hoyt Ignite set at 50lbs (now a Klash), very adjustable but soon wanted something more stable. So got an Origin set to 55 and pretty happy with it.
I also recently changed from a wrist to thumb trigger release.
My son also took it up; I've spent a fortune but we enjoy it; most of the time!

Drake267

Rght guys, i am now in a position to go and buy a bow and start shooting. Busy time at work has finally tailed off. Got a couple of weeks off so am off up to merlin to sort one out. Just a couple of questions if anybody would like to chip in with any thoughts. I have narrowed my search down to two bows i like the look of. Have held them both too so know they feel nice. They are the mybo origin and the pse supra. Cant find any, anywhere used so would have to be new, dont mind that though as i have a bit of piece of mind with new. Question is do you guys prefer one over the other. Know its a personal thing and i will decide whats right for me with the guys at merlin too. Just interested on thoughts on those two bows. Only other bow i like the look of is a used 2015 hoyt pro elite. Could save me a few quid to get a a scope and other bits. Any thoughts on those 3. Thanks in advance guys.

Brett

AndyW

Honestly, I would have thought that any of those would be great. I'm a bit of a Hoyt hater so I'm biased but just be careful on which cams are on the Hoyt if you go that way; you don't want to be at the upper limit of the cam and find you actually need the next set. I would have the origin, there's a lot of engineering in that thing for the money and it should be bullet proof.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
... mybo origin and the pse supra. Question is do you guys prefer one over the other.
Brett
These two bows are very closely matched. I shoot the Supra ME. I like the longer ATA and find the Origin a bit short and slightly over engineered, but would not hesitate to shoot an Origin if someone wants to give me one ;) Unless your heart shouts out for one or the other you will have a tough time choosing. Both are outstanding bows and not ridiculously over priced....yet.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Are you on any Facebook sales pages? I've seen three Mybo Origins come up in the last two weeks. I tend to notice as I couldn't find any when I wanted one so had to buy new!
A great bow IMO - I'm certainly no expert but on the rare days I'm on form, it really it a great piece of kit and even the new price is pretty good.

Drake267

Thanks for the advice guys. I dont do facebook or any social media sights like that am afraid. Should get on and have a look at the bows. Going up to Merlin tomorrow, only 10 mins from where i live. Pretty certain its going to be a hoyt or the supra. Like the large adjustability of the draw length. Just in case mine changes over time with my technique changing as i progress. The hoyt looks nice but if i make a mistake in the draw length it will mean extra cash for more modules. So hopefully i will have a bow tomorrow, know they have a few origins in stock there. Thanks again guys.