D Loop

sarahjrd

After four years shooting recurve, I switched to compound last night. I have a Sieratec which my sister bought in Holland last year. Its great but I have on problem with it. It has a draw lenght of 25-27. Last night myself and my coach set it up to the shortest setting but it is still slightly too long. The D loop on the bow is quite long so I plan to shorten it a bit so that the draw lenght is right. But i dont know how to tie on the d loop. I have the string i just need to know how. Is it simply just 2 clove hitches?

Thanks,
Sarah

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Clove hitches work well.
Another way is to take the material and fold it double. Wrap the doubled string round the bow string, then pass the two loose ends through the loop at the fold.
Jiggle it a bit until one end is long and the other is almost up to the knot.
That gets one end secured. The other end cannot be done in the same way as there is only one loose end left. However, it can be made into the same knot by copying the "look" of the first knot.

P

pyroarch57

sarahjrd said:
After four years shooting recurve, I switched to compound last night. I have a Sieratec which my sister bought in Holland last year. Its great but I have on problem with it. It has a draw lenght of 25-27. Last night myself and my coach set it up to the shortest setting but it is still slightly too long. The D loop on the bow is quite long so I plan to shorten it a bit so that the draw lenght is right. But i dont know how to tie on the d loop. I have the string i just need to know how. Is it simply just 2 clove hitches?

Thanks,
Sarah
You dont have to take it off Sarah, just loosen one side and take small increments off until it`s the right length , the ends are usually burnt with a cigarete lighter to prevent them pulling through.

Christopher Lee

Hi Sarah,

To go one step further, seeing that you just switched to compound, have a look here for great advise and pictures regarding tieing in nocking points for that new D loop of yours:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=375122&referrerid=22477

Tied-in nocking points work great, are less stressful on serving and are lighter (faster speed, if that's important for you). They are extremely accurate and are being used by some of the world's FITA record holders like Dave Cousins.

Hope this helps. CHEERS!

sarahjrd

Christopher Lee said:
Hi Sarah,

To go one step further, seeing that you just switched to compound, have a look here for great advise and pictures regarding tieing in nocking points for that new D loop of yours:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=375122&referrerid=22477

Tied-in nocking points work great, are less stressful on serving and are lighter (faster speed, if that's important for you). They are extremely accurate and are being used by some of the world's FITA record holders like Dave Cousins.

Hope this helps. CHEERS!
Thanks Christopher,
I am already using this, and i fixed the D loop up at the weekend so its all good at the moment.

Sarah

Christopher Lee

Glad to hear that all is going well Sarah!

I just remembered something I do with D loops ...

When it comes to replacing them, some archers bemoan the fact that ALL material will stretch, even if manufacturers claim 'no stretch' or 'low stretch', so what I do is make up longer than normal loops and assemble them like normal, and pre-stretch them till they will no longer stretch. I then shoot them for about a day or two.

Then I take them off - ready for use the next time round with the assurance that whatever length of D loop I assemble, it will be the exact length I need and will most likely not stretch further. This is especially useful during tournaments if a change is needed mid-round (accidents do happen) and changing them out, and getting the same exact loop length I was using earlier is so much easier as compared to using new loop material.

Just a small tip. :cheerful:

greydog

Most of what looks like stretch is just the knots settling in. If you pull everything tight with some pliers, your 'D' loop shouldn't grow on you too much once you start shooting :cheerful: