Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Side

Thanks

Dark Side

Shooting 43# with a recurve and 27 1/4" arrows. What weight, draw compound should I be considering.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 919 Posts
    This may not be much help, but I moved from 34lbs recurve to 50lbs on compound. For most target shooting there is a limit of 60lbs.Compounds like to be shot close to their own stated max weight. I would start looking at bows with max of 60lbs or 55lbs. Also check the draw length range. Bows like to shoot close to max draw length. With a release aid if you go that way, the length you draw the bow is usually about 1" less than for recurve.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wingate_52
    Shooting 43# with a recurve and 27 1/4" arrows. What weight, draw compound should I be considering.
    With my recurve set at 39# I picked up and could draw a compound set at 45-50# with a relatively bad release aid. With a good one, there isn't really any problem getting up into the 55-60# range, so long as you watch your fitness. YMMV.

Draw is a more complicated issue. The best advice I can give is to go and see someone who knows about compounds.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wingate_52
    Hi Wingate. You will have no problems whatsoever converting to compound at up to the legal draw weight limit for target (60lb). Typically senior gents target bows seem to be set somewhere between 55 and 58lb peak weight. with 65% letoff means you are onlt holding about 18lb on the hand at full draw.

Actually drawing a compound is more about correct technique than brute force - however some cam types will feel a lot heaver as you draw up - for example the Hoyt Cam 1/2 feels less agressive than the Spiral Cam, or the Zephyr Cam on the new Trykon, dur to the rate that the peak weight comes on as you draw up. Best advice is to try a couple out and see what you prefer.
    If Wishing makes it so - why isn't it working?

Thanks
    What Max says about cams is correct, some you can set at 60lbs and it'll feel like you're drawing 55lbs, others you can set at 55lbs and they'll feel like 60lbs. You'll find that you shoot best in your comfort zone, go a couple of pounds over and you'll feel it

Try a few (the obvious response ) but consider some of the smoother cams first as opposed to an aggressive cam as you'll find you will draw the bow more confidently.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by greydog
    Try a few (the obvious response ) but consider some of the smoother cams first as opposed to an aggressive cam as you'll find you will draw the bow more confidently.
    VERY good advice Greydog. A trap I fell right into. The quest for higher performance and speed from just about every manufacturer can leave beginners in a bit of a mess. It's all very well buying the latest speed machine as a first bow, but while you are directing all your attention to aiming and the release, it's so easy to let the tension come off ever so slightly, then find the bow being yanked out of your hand by an agressive cam system.
    If Wishing makes it so - why isn't it working?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast